Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 2647 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Advice please.
« on: 20 October 2014, 16:23:09 »

This afternoon I had a call from my mates elderly Mother (86) to see if I could go round and sort out her loft ladder which had got jammed and she couldn't get it to slide back up into position to close the hatch.  ::)

So while there I had to get up into the loft to check the mechanism etc and spotted two fan heaters sat on cardboard boxes which were plugged in and switched on, but not working as they were set on low. ::)  When I asked her what they were for she replied that they only came on in cold weather and were there to stop the plumbing from freezing!  ::)  They looked quite old and she said that they'd been there for about 10 years or so.

The house is a cedarwood bungalow and I'm thinking that these heaters are a massive fire risk what with dust getting into them or a thermostat failing or something.  :-\ 

Am I right to worry?  :-\  I didn't say anything to my mates Mum as she gets herself into a right old state about things like this and my mate lives away and it's all out of sight out of mind to him!  ::)  I will tell my mate about it and what bothers me, but I know he'll just say something like ' Oh it's all right, it's been like that for years! '  ::)

What to do?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2014, 16:39:43 »

Yes you are right to be worried, an awful solution, trace heating or proper lagging would be a much better approach

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2014, 17:00:09 »

Looking after little old ladies..... :y

Your place in heaven is already booked, Sir Tig. :y ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2014, 17:19:22 »

Phew thank God for that!!  ::)  ;D

I've got to tread a little carefully on this one, as a while a go I fitted a new light in her bathroom and the wiring was the original 1960's cloth covered stuff!  :o  I casually mentioned that she should get an electrician in to check over the wiring in the house as it was very old and might be dangerous.  ::)

Over the next few days and weeks she went into a full on meltdown as she assumed she needed a full rewire and the house was going to burn down at any minute.  My mate was seriously pissed off with me for opening my big mouth.  ::)  ;D

They've never done anything about it, but I guess in some ways my conscience is clear if anything did happen due to the old wiring.  :-\

The Sheriff

« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2014, 17:23:10 »

You knew it wasn't safe before you asked, really. If you're worried about upsetting the old girl, get hold of your mate and tell him it needs sorting....pronto, because if it goes tits up, he will be held responsible.

Then look for a new mate, cause he won't be speaking to you any more.  ;D

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2014, 17:29:47 »

I'm pretty sure oldies can get free insulation which should include lagging of pipes, check with your local age concern place and pass details to your mate and let him have the headache. 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2014, 17:31:39 »

I'm pretty sure oldies can get free insulation which should include lagging of pipes, check with your local age concern place and pass details to your mate and let him have the headache.

But then again, the nasty bogey man hiding in the loft won't be able to make toast on the heaters  ;) ;D ;D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2014, 17:33:14 »

i think your mate needs a shake if he doesn't bother bout his mums safety

The Sheriff

« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2014, 17:35:08 »

i think your mate needs a shake if he doesn't bother bout his mums safety
What good will wanki.......oh, I see  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2014, 17:48:16 »

Unattended Fan Heater in confined space!!

Its just waiting to happen, common sense really but if you need some backup from your friends point of view the Fire Brigade will do a free home check -

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/hfsc

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2014, 18:05:27 »

I'll certainly be having words with my mate, don't worry about that.  :y

But I thought you lot might come up with some easy, sensible, affordable and practical alternatives!  ::)  ;D

Thanks Mark!  :y

The Sheriff

« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2014, 18:08:45 »

Just leave the loft hatch open and have the heating on full blast all winter  :y

No need to thank me  :-*

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2014, 19:47:55 »

If they are required to stop the plumbing freezing then either it's not adequately insulated or she's not keeping the house warm enough for her own well-being, IMHO, especially if the loft insulation is of the same vintage as the wiring - it should be allowing plenty of heat up there!

Either way - put up with the freezing pipes if necessary rather than risk a fire. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2014, 19:56:46 »

Just leave the loft hatch open and have the heating on full blast all winter  :y

No need to thank me  :-*

No.  ::)  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2014, 20:12:11 »

If they are required to stop the plumbing freezing then either it's not adequately insulated or she's not keeping the house warm enough for her own well-being, IMHO, especially if the loft insulation is of the same vintage as the wiring - it should be allowing plenty of heat up there!

Either way - put up with the freezing pipes if necessary rather than risk a fire. :o

If the loft is insulated (from the house below) it should be freezing up there  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2014, 20:13:11 »

What to do?  :-\

Unplug them both, say nothing to the old dear & then tell your mate what you've done.  :y :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2014, 20:15:21 »

Just go round and unplug them! Job done.
Hoof'land storeman.

The Sheriff

« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2014, 20:18:21 »

Let the local fire safety officer know of your concerns. It may just put 'Wheels in motion'.

No WIM japes please, you're not clever or funny.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2014, 20:24:17 »

Let the local fire safety officer know of your concerns. It may just put 'Wheels in motion'.

To expensive  :)
Hoof'land storeman.

The Sheriff

« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2014, 20:26:39 »

To expensive  :)
OK. Don't do that then.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 October 2014, 21:01:25 »

If the loft is insulated (from the house below) it should be freezing up there  ::)

.. but it won't be if the loft insulation is the same vintage as the wiring. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 October 2014, 22:20:18 »

So I've been talking to my mate and he's agreed that the fan heaters have to go.  :y

We've hatched a plan where he tells his Mum that I've said that the pipes arn't lagged properly and when he comes down next he'll bring a load of pipe insulation and will lag the pipes.  In the meantime I'll go round and measure up for him so he knows what he needs and will unplug the heaters.  We're going to play down the fire risk and he's going to rub in how much it must be costing in electricity!  ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 October 2014, 23:53:12 »

Sounds like a good outcome. :y

Now to get some hydroponics installed up there now your other factory has been rumbled. :-X

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2014, 00:26:21 »

Next time you're in Darzet Kevin, just let me know what 'spares' you need and I'll see what I can find under the floorboards for you!  ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 October 2014, 16:59:41 »

So I've been round my Mates Mum's place again this afternoon to 'check the lagging' and have unplugged the fan heaters!  :y

I was rubbing it in how much two 3 Kw fan heaters cost to run, she was horrified and agreed that they should be unplugged, but in the next breath said that if it gets cold she can nip up into the loft and plug them in again!  She's 84!  ::)  ;D

So I said that there'd be no need as when my mate is next down, we're going to make sure everything is properly lagged so there will be no need for the heaters!  :y  and anyway I went on, enough heat from the house will trickle through to keep the loft space warm enough in cold weather.  :y

To cut a long story short, it turns out that to save money she turns off all of the radiators apart from her bedroom and the bathroom and only turns on the full system when friends or family are round!  ::)  Even in the depths of winter!  :o  ::)  So her loft is nice and toasty, but the rest of the house is bloody freezing!!!  :D Sigh!  ::)  :(

I've sat her down and explained that it would be much cheaper to keep the GCH on low, on cold winter nights and keep the whole house warm rather than the 2 fan heaters from which she gets no benefit.  ::)  I also casually mentioned that if she had the Fire Brigade round for a safety check they'd be horrified if they saw the fan heaters.  ;)

We've always known that she's a bit 'frugal' with the heating, but even my mate when I spoke to him didn't realise she was that tight.  :-\  ::)  and tight is probably the right word as although like most pensioners she has to be careful, I don't believe that she is exactly poverty stricken, as she manages an annual trip to The States to see my mates brother.  ::)  I guess that's where her fuel allowance goes!  ;)  ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #25 on: 23 October 2014, 17:10:23 »

Sorted :y

Now shut up about it. ;D

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 October 2014, 17:28:23 »

them fans must have been costing her a bit to run as they are not the cheapest to run :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2014, 17:34:10 »

So I've been round my Mates Mum's place again this afternoon to 'check the lagging' and have unplugged the fan heaters!  :y

I was rubbing it in how much two 3 Kw fan heaters cost to run, she was horrified and agreed that they should be unplugged, but in the next breath said that if it gets cold she can nip up into the loft and plug them in again!  She's 84::)  ;D

So I said that there'd be no need as when my mate is next down, we're going to make sure everything is properly lagged so there will be no need for the heaters!  :y  and anyway I went on, enough heat from the house will trickle through to keep the loft space warm enough in cold weather.  :y

To cut a long story short, it turns out that to save money she turns off all of the radiators apart from her bedroom and the bathroom and only turns on the full system when friends or family are round!  ::)  Even in the depths of winter!  :o  ::)  So her loft is nice and toasty, but the rest of the house is bloody freezing!!!  :D Sigh!  ::)  :(

I've sat her down and explained that it would be much cheaper to keep the GCH on low, on cold winter nights and keep the whole house warm rather than the 2 fan heaters from which she gets no benefit.  ::)  I also casually mentioned that if she had the Fire Brigade round for a safety check they'd be horrified if they saw the fan heaters.  ;)

We've always known that she's a bit 'frugal' with the heating, but even my mate when I spoke to him didn't realise she was that tight.  :-\  ::)  and tight is probably the right word as although like most pensioners she has to be careful, I don't believe that she is exactly poverty stricken, as she manages an annual trip to The States to see my mates brother.  ::)  I guess that's where her fuel allowance goes!  ;)  ;D

She was 86 at the start of this thread. ;D ;D ;D

Has she defeated the ageing process? ::) ::) ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2014, 17:41:41 »

She was 86 at the start of this thread. ;D ;D ;D

Has she defeated the ageing process? ::) ::) ;)

Glad to see you're paying attention M'lud!  :y

I thought she was 86, but she told me today she's 84.  Being a Gent, I never asked!  ::)  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2014, 17:55:34 »

You smoothie, you ;D

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 October 2014, 21:12:33 »

I think she should get some extra loud smoke alarms, just in case.

Old people can get stuck in their ways - she might get someone to plug those heaters in again. :o

That old wiring is a worry too.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 October 2014, 21:15:04 »

My dad died in a house fire.

Buy her lots of smoke alarms. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2014, 22:34:32 »

I think she should get some extra loud smoke alarms, just in case.

Old people can get stuck in their ways - she might get someone to plug those heaters in again. :o

That old wiring is a worry too.

She's more likely to climb up there herself!  ::)  ::) ::)

I did plan to chuck the heaters in a cardboard box and put them out of the way, but she followed me up the ladder to keep a beady eye on me!!  :o :o :o  :D :D :D  ;D ;D ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2014, 22:38:02 »

She was after you, I reckon.. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 October 2014, 22:54:07 »

She was after you, I reckon.. ;)

You have a very sick mind Aaron!  :(  Found your passport yet?  :P  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 23 October 2014, 22:57:55 »

Nope  :'( :'( Really had better register it lost I reckon :(

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 October 2014, 23:01:04 »

Nope  :'( :'( Really had better register it lost I reckon :(
Soon as you do that it'll turn up ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 24 October 2014, 16:05:28 »

Yup, that's why I've been dragging my heels..
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.