Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust Woes...  (Read 1296 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Exhaust Woes...
« on: 03 June 2016, 13:12:08 »

On the 2.2  :(

Back box split on the pipe just after the first set of hangers, barely hanging on. I was hopeful that perhaps I could separate it from the mid-section, but quickly found nope, it's fused together.....

Ok me thinks, whole new exhaust, but the bolts off the cat look seriously bad. I just know if I start or attempt to release them they will sheer off and to me look like they will take the bracket with them too. (the section on the cat, with it's loop for the bolt)  :'( - When last fitted in 2011 the edge around the bolts was very slim, I did wonder if would last another new exhaust.

So that would leave me with nothing to secure a new exhaust too, so I guess the cat section would need to come off. But can a new bracket thing be added to the end of the old cat? I really, really don't want to go new cat route. May take a while to source a second hand replacement.  :-\ - Then I bet the flexi on that would be stuffed! (as Flexi is in good shape on mine)

Thoughts?  :-\  :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Woes...
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2016, 13:21:35 »

Drill out the bolt holes in the cat flange and fit a nut and bolt. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2016, 13:26:17 »

Thanks  :)

I'll drop the cat I think, I don't want to drill the bolts out under the car. Still have nasty feeling drilling them out, would sheer that whole section  :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2016, 13:46:37 »

Thanks  :)

I'll drop the cat I think, I don't want to drill the bolts out under the car. Still have nasty feeling drilling them out, would sheer that whole section  :-\

It's easy enough ..... you're only slim and so will easily fit  :y :y Dropping the cat is just making more work for yourself

I doubt it'll all shear

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2016, 14:19:17 »

Are you sure they are not already drilled out and bolted (the one in the photos looks like it could be)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2016, 14:39:29 »

Are you sure they are not already drilled out and bolted (the one in the photos looks like it could be)

Yes, well spotted. I think the cat side is closest to us in the picture, and I reckon there used to be a nut where that lump of rust is.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2016, 14:47:26 »

Cut it between the flanges with a hacksaw, then smack it out with an ammer :y

Probably wouldn't use a grinder myself :-X

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2016, 16:00:30 »

Hammer the smallest 1/2"drive socket that will go onto the rusted remains of the nut.
Using a sudden jerking motion on a reasonably long breaker bar, snap the bolts.
Problem solved.
This works best if you do not apply releasing spray or heat first.

Or you could just cut the bolt with a careful swipe of an angle grinder.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2016, 18:26:04 »

Thanks for all the advice  :y

I dropped the cat and pulled the entire exhaust out for better access, as it's nice and easy to drop the cat on the 2.2.

One bolt came out fine, I brought out the hack saw for the other. Far easier with it off the car  :)

All removed and cleaned up, now it's back on the car. Just awaiting replacement centre section now.

tnarg8

• dundee
    • '52 2.2 omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2016, 20:53:10 »

Perfect timing, Have exact same worry with that flange, looks like nut at one end,, length (20mm-ish) rusty thread at other,
        suspecting threaded stud, real concern is getting remainder to screw out so able to drill clearance hole for nut and bolt, or be stuck with trying to drill through remainder of stud! Try socket first , both directions see if any move, any other ideas other than cut between flanges and hope screw out length of thread?   :-\
By the way tunnie,gone for both centres and tailpipe as NO chance remaking joints at rear, hope yours is O.K. for that!
Thanks for any help,
Grant.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2016, 20:59:28 »

No worries, just a heads up you can fit 2.0 system on the 2.2, this will be second 2.0 system going on mine. It means you only need to bother with 1 centre section, there is no performance impact  :y

Personally I would advise dropping the cat, it's only 4 studs by the exhaust manifold, these come off easily, they don't rust in my experience. Then it's just the two electrical connectors and supporting bolt for cat section.

Then drag the whole lot out into the open, it's far nicer to work on!  :)

I'd look to hack saw that bolt in two, then it's far easier to work on if it's threaded.

tnarg8

• dundee
    • '52 2.2 omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2016, 09:41:53 »

Ooowwwww! 2.0 fits?  :o already ordered 2.2 parts!  :( , off to start and looks like cat off best if needing to drill out! thanks for tips!  :y
Grant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.