Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Beemer!  (Read 11479 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Beemer!
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2019, 14:10:38 »

Sir Tigger will be quids in.

Those old Germans weigh roughly the same as an ocean going liner.........so think of the scrap value.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2019, 14:38:13 »

You will struggle to find an estate car to tow 3.5t though... 2.1t is about the physical limit... Any more and you're into larger SUV territory... Merc ML/Range Rooney Sport etc ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2019, 15:11:53 »

Well prize of the day goes to Mr Kevin Wood and Uncle STEMO for questioning whether it's a gearbox fault.  :y

I had a look under whilst it was in gear, both forward and reverse, and the prop is spinning both ways.

But what does that mean?  ???  It's lost a connection at the diff?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2019, 15:14:55 »

Well prize of the day goes to Mr Kevin Wood and Uncle STEMO for questioning whether it's a gearbox fault.  :y

I had a look under whilst it was in gear, both forward and reverse, and the prop is spinning both ways.

So it's the diff or a half shaft, at the joint or even snapped. Getting less expensive.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2019, 15:27:39 »

So it's the diff or a half shaft, at the joint or even snapped. Getting less expensive.

Don't tell him that. Tell him it's well and truly f*ucked so that  another baby polar bear may live.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 January 2019, 15:54:31 »

might even be just the propshaft coupling donut
(which is the same part as omega on some BMW s)

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 03 January 2019, 16:02:45 »

Don't tell him that. Tell him it's well and truly f*ucked so that  another baby polar bear may live.
I've got a feeling it will live.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 January 2019, 16:20:37 »

I've got a feeling it will live;D

......if so how many polar bears and little black babies must die.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 January 2019, 16:20:52 »

I've got a feeling it will live.  ;D
the jolly fryer wagon or the baby polar bear ?

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 03 January 2019, 16:23:00 »

Says the man who is considering adding another 2.9 litres to the 5 litres, 2.8 litres and 1.2 litres he already has.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 January 2019, 16:26:09 »

Says the man who is considering adding another 2.9 litres to the 5 litres, 2.8 litres and 1.2 litres he already has.

Ah...but they are all petrol driven and petrol is like mountain air.

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 03 January 2019, 16:27:59 »

You will struggle to find an estate car to tow 3.5t though... 2.1t is about the physical limit... Any more and you're into larger SUV territory... Merc ML/Range Rooney Sport etc ;)

Aye, that's why that one is more of a pipe-dream :) I'd love a RR Sport, but one with the right engine (petrol) would bankrupt me in running and "servicing" costs, I'm sure, not to mention be expensive to buy.. I keep eyeing up the Ford Rangers, but really should just buy something cheap & cheerful like a Scoobaru Legacy with the H6 engine (not a diesel as Guffers we all know how that will end)..

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 03 January 2019, 16:28:14 »

Ah...but they are all petrol driven and petrol is like mountain air.
Oh yes, silly me  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 January 2019, 17:22:55 »

Probably best to jack up the rear so that the wheels are hanging in the air. You may be able to see/influence movement on the halfshaft drive flange while it's hanging at its extreme to see if it has 'popped out'. I have heard of bmw halfshafts popping out on e38's so it may well have been an issue on e39's as well.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 January 2019, 17:37:21 »

Probably best to jack up the rear so that the wheels are hanging in the air. You may be able to see/influence movement on the halfshaft drive flange while it's hanging at its extreme to see if it has 'popped out'. I have heard of bmw halfshafts popping out on e38's so it may well have been an issue on e39's as well.

When I did this to check the Omega diff I found it best to also jack the rear wheels up a bit by a bottle jack under each shock absorber so that the drive shafts were in a more"normal" alignement. It was then very easy to confirm that it was the diff that was noisy and not overstressed UJs on the half shafts  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.