Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: HS 2 to be "reviewed "  (Read 19068 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: HS 2 to be "reviewed "
« Reply #30 on: 27 August 2019, 12:42:29 »

Back on HS2,

It has been revealed the government knew it was over budget back in 2016.......
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 August 2019, 13:44:18 »

Back on HS2,

Yes, what a surprise (NOT!) Varche ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

When politicians want something to happen smoke and mirrors always comes to play so that what they (and me) consider a worthwhile project, good for the country, is not destroyed before the papers are signed.

Of course the costs of this engineering project have always been under-estimated from the start, just like every engineering project has been certainly since the 18th century (the building of the canals) in Britain / The World ;)
« Last Edit: 27 August 2019, 13:46:10 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 August 2019, 18:06:14 »

Back on HS2,

I knew it was over budget in 2011, at the first of the roadshows.  It was blatant for anyone to see that the numbers displayed were picked to make the sums work, and changed from board to board to make everything seem good.

The fact that MPs voted it through is a clear indication of how stupid/lazy/competent/corrupt they are. You can choose which.  Because if me - the stupid kid from the local comprehensive - can see it, surely our most educated can...
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 August 2019, 18:24:15 »

Back on HS2,

I knew it was over budget in 2011, at the first of the roadshows.  It was blatant for anyone to see that the numbers displayed were picked to make the sums work, and changed from board to board to make everything seem good.

The fact that MPs voted it through is a clear indication of how stupid/lazy/competent/corrupt they are. You can choose which.  Because if me - the stupid kid from the local comprehensive - can see it, surely our most educated can...

One ex-HS2 manager, responsible for costing out the land and buildings that had to be purchased, this morning on TV showed a particular page of the original proposal documents that had the cost of acquiring a school, with all the land around it, as worth less than £800!! ::) ::) ;) 

Like the whole "estimate", a few noughts were missing!! :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 August 2019, 18:40:54 »

So do you finally agree it should be scrapped as unaffordable and basically useless? Good, now we can move on :)

Not that it will be, as the review is chaired by the moron responsible for it.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 August 2019, 18:46:19 »

Your starting to sound like Hitler.  :P ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 August 2019, 19:37:04 »

Your starting to sound like Hitler.  :P ;D

;D ;D ;D :y

And TB, no, I do not want the principle of a new high speed train network built in this country of ours scrapped.  What I do want is the costs to be realistic, and true commercial managerial controls to be established, with civil servants and thick politicians left out of the equation.

If possible, if not now far too late, I want any future lines to be linked up directly with HS1, thus saving the costs of special, non-standard rolling stock, being built from scratch (Eurostar seem to have the right trains), along with the efficient pathways to allow France to Birmingham trains to run through.  I would also want these lines to fully take very fast freight container trains to clear the motorways of unnecessary HGV's.

Too late?  Well, in business nothing should be too late when there are strong business arguments for the changes, a reduction of costs, and the potential to generate higher returns on the capital investment.  That is what "reviews" should be for! ;)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 August 2019, 20:01:24 »

So do you finally agree it should be scrapped as unaffordable and basically useless? Good, now we can move on :)

Couldn't agree more. An absolute white elephant.

If the government is hell-bent on a costly infrastructure project, they should construct a national water grid. This could, for example, be used to distribute water evenly when the weather dictates, say from a wet North-West to dry East Anglian farmlands.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 August 2019, 21:26:05 »

If the government is hell-bent on a costly infrastructure project, they should construct a national water grid. This could, for example, be used to distribute water evenly when the weather dictates, say from a wet North-West to dry East Anglian farmlands.

Now that is something I have thought for a long time, as in the South East we will never have enough water for the current population, let alone that envisaged to exist by 2050. 

I would however not stop with that, but also incorporate a hydro-electric scheme whereby turbines generate power as the water being transferred passes along the 'trunk' route pipes. This would resolve two pressing issues at once  8) ;)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 August 2019, 21:53:00 »

I would however not stop with that, but also incorporate a hydro-electric scheme whereby turbines generate power as the water being transferred passes along the 'trunk' route pipes. This would resolve two pressing issues at once  8) ;)

Not wishing to pour cold water on that (see what I did there?  ;) ), but I thought hydro-electicity is only powered by gravity (e.g. waterfalls or rivers). If the water is pumped across a grid, then the energy used to pump it would be absorbed by the hydro plants, thus nullifying any benefit.  ???

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 August 2019, 22:51:13 »

Now that is something I have thought for a long time, as in the South East we will never have enough water for the current population, let alone that envisaged to exist by 2050. 

I have offered the solution to the South East water problem before.

Build a dam wall across the Wash ( using free prison labour). 

I have got to say it is ridiculous that Britain has a water problem.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 August 2019, 23:34:11 »

Not wishing to pour cold water on that (see what I did there?  ;) ), but I thought hydro-electicity is only powered by gravity (e.g. waterfalls or rivers). If the water is pumped across a grid, then the energy used to pump it would be absorbed by the hydro plants, thus nullifying any benefit.  ???
Everyone knows that hot air rises from Lundin and all the crap flows down from Oopnorf, so getting the rain water down here should be easy enough  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 August 2019, 09:32:44 »

Indeed it is, but with a new water trunk system, designed for the purpose across terrain of many gradients, there would be certain parts that would 'fall' and there is the place for giant turbines.

Of course natural physical law dictates you cannot get more energy out than you put in, and the pumps along the system, as with the local pipework, would require electrical power (much via solar panels/wind turbines?), which is unavoidable, but at strategically located sites, where the gradient falls, highly efficient turbines could be placed to generated significant power, some of which could also power the pumps.

To advance society must continue to think outside the box, as did the great engineers of the 18th and 19th centuries did when building the canal and railway network.

Of course all this blue sky thinking means spending money....big money..........and is one reason why no government has yet considered a National Water Grid of the style that the leccy boys use.  I reckon 500 billion pounds will do it.............well, as that figure has been guessed, via a wet finger in the air........once the project is started it will cost 800 billion pounds...................rising to £1 trillion once built six years after it's planned completion date!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Seriously though, the basic Water Grid idea is a sound one and will be ever more important as the climate DOES get hotter, no matter for what reason, our population grows considerably and people 's demand for the stuff for swimming pools, jacuzzi spa baths and growing our crops rises still further ;)

« Last Edit: 28 August 2019, 09:35:19 by Lizzie Zoom »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 August 2019, 09:58:18 »

To advance society must continue to think outside the box, as did the great engineers of the 18th and 19th centuries did when building the canal and railway network.

Of course all this blue sky thinking means spending money....big money..........and is one reason why no government has yet considered a National Water Grid of the style that the leccy boys use.  I reckon 500 billion pounds will do it.............well, as that figure has been guessed, via a wet finger in the air........once the project is started it will cost 800 billion pounds...................rising to £1 trillion once built six years after it's planned completion date!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

You're living in a fantasy world if you think any government is going to spend money on a grand scheme based on bluesky thinking(the real definition of which is that it's pretty but empty until it pisses down unexpectedly)to improve on something we already have. And there is no way whatsoever privatised industry is going to do it when they're not replacing(or even repairing properly) what they already have, instead of patching up and hoping they can move the business on to some other mug before the whole thing falls apart. That mug will be a government in the future, because the whole country will be up in arms that we let it fail and have no power/sewage/drinking water. And those things are very closely related, so the failures will quickly cascade through the whole infrastructure including transport.

HS2 is a case in point: if a business could build and run it at a profit, it would be progressing by leaps and bounds. Instead, it's a government project that everybody knows is a massive clusteropps, so anybody involved is passing the parcel as soon as they can without actually doing anything there could be blame for.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28 August 2019, 10:42:35 »

You're living in a fantasy world if you think any government is going to spend money on a grand scheme based on bluesky thinking(the real definition of which is that it's pretty but empty until it pisses down unexpectedly)to improve on something we already have. And there is no way whatsoever privatised industry is going to do it when they're not replacing(or even repairing properly) what they already have, instead of patching up and hoping they can move the business on to some other mug before the whole thing falls apart. That mug will be a government in the future, because the whole country will be up in arms that we let it fail and have no power/sewage/drinking water. And those things are very closely related, so the failures will quickly cascade through the whole infrastructure including transport.

HS2 is a case in point: if a business could build and run it at a profit, it would be progressing by leaps and bounds. Instead, it's a government project that everybody knows is a massive clusteropps, so anybody involved is passing the parcel as soon as they can without actually doing anything there could be blame for.

I was hinting that strongly ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Instead here in the South East the water company will build the planned new reservoir near Canterbury taking up more highly valuable land ::) ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.