Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?  (Read 25611 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?
« Reply #30 on: 10 September 2012, 11:55:30 »

Yep, no way will LPG halve fuel costs. It can reduce it by up to 50%, IME, which is actually what your numbers are saying (370x1.5 = 555). ;)

What Kevin said.  Your figures show that you are making a saving of 33.3%, not 50%.  :y

Oh, yeah, that's what I meant. :-[
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

albitz

« Reply #31 on: 10 September 2012, 11:59:40 »

Yep, no way will LPG halve fuel costs. It can reduce it by up to 50%, IME, which is actually what your numbers are saying (370x1.5 = 555). ;)

What Kevin said.  Your figures show that you are making a saving of 33.3%, not 50%.  :y

Recurring. :P :D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2012, 12:01:07 »

::)

I see that no one calculates normal fuel cost before engine switches.. 

it will never be half..  besides, when you have an lpg car you start to use car more   ;D

and this is the part where consumables start to erode your gain.. :-\

and as for buying an already LPG converted car; I would buy from someone who I know the car and the person..

otherwise with a car with mechanical,electronical issues its the hardest puzzle..

albitz

« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2012, 12:03:47 »

it will never be half..  besides, when you have an lpg car you start to use car more   ;D

and as for buying an already LPG converted car; I would buy from someone who I know the car and the person..

otherwise with a car with mechanical,electronical issues its the hardest puzzle..
Thats exactly what I did with my current car,around two and a half years ago. One of the best car decisions Ive ever made. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2012, 12:09:59 »

Thats exactly what I did with my current car,around two and a half years ago. One of the best car decisions Ive ever made. :y

I would prefer that also :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2012, 12:14:31 »

Here's some maths for you:

The current "combined" fuel cycle for the PFL 3.0 auto Omega is: 23.7 MPG.

£100 x £1.41 = 70.92198582 litres divided by 15.60096476 gallons, times by 23.7 MPG =   370 miles per £100.

Now, using the same maths above and knocking off 4mpg for running on LPG (guesstimate) will be 19.7 MPG.

£100 x £0.78 = 128.2051282 litres divided by 28.201744 gallons times by 19.7 MPG = 555 miles per £100.

So according to these calculations, you will gain an extra 185 miles for every £100 of LPG you buy compared to petrol.

Which means you would have literally cut your fuel costs in half. (Half of 370 = 185.)

Hope this helps... :)
The maths is right (bar some assumptions, eg using petrol for starting), the conclusion is wrong. You maths show a saving of 33%, which is in line with the norm - save a 1/3rd on fuel.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2012, 12:19:02 »

No LPG consumables on an Omega, bar a filter, which is less than a tenner, and is probably never changed...  ...which reminds me, I really should...  ...nah, can't be bothered ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 September 2012, 12:39:29 »

Changed my filter a year ago, just because it was all coming out for a cam cover gasket change anyway.. Cut the old one open and it was like new inside. I guess our gas is clean enough that it's not worth the bother.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 September 2012, 12:44:49 »

Changed my filter a year ago, just because it was all coming out for a cam cover gasket change anyway.. Cut the old one open and it was like new inside. I guess our gas is clean enough that it's not worth the bother.
Which matches another member's experience (LazyCripple?)
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #39 on: 10 September 2012, 12:51:57 »

No LPG consumables on an Omega, bar a filter, which is less than a tenner, and is probably never changed...  ...which reminds me, I really should...  ...nah, can't be bothered ;D

by consumables I mean all consumables , tires, brakes, sparks,oil whatever etc.. In the past I had an LPG car which I started to use more than the avg (monthly avg).. as a result I finish the consumables quickly.. :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2012, 12:55:12 »

by consumables I mean all consumables , tires, brakes, sparks,oil whatever etc.. In the past I had an LPG car which I started to use more than the avg (monthly avg).. as a result I finish the consumables quickly.. :-\
These are not LPG specific. If you do 1000m, these parts will wear at same rate, LPG or otherwise. Arguably, the oil lasts longer on LPG.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2012, 12:57:37 »

These are not LPG specific. If you do 1000m, these parts will wear at same rate, LPG or otherwise. Arguably, the oil lasts longer on LPG.

govt workers take salary monthly ;D  so I calculate everything on a monthly basis ;D :y

Jabe

• London
    • 1997 2.5 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2012, 15:22:13 »

The maths is right (bar some assumptions, eg using petrol for starting), the conclusion is wrong. You maths show a saving of 33%, which is in line with the norm - save a 1/3rd on fuel.

Haha... oh boy! I knew I was working something out incorrectly, but I had to leave to go to an appointment so I left it as is hoping it was right.

Yes, all of you are correct. It is around 33% not 50%. I tried to edit it but I don't have the privileges anymore so if anyone could be so kind to change it, I would appreciate it. :)

Running on petrol? I've driven LPG cars before. It took around 2 miles tops for the switchover, this was with an 2.9 I6. So I'd say around half a litre per day. After that the engine stays warm enough during the day to switch over without to much delay.

Half a litre x 365 days = 182 litres. So thats a little over 2 1/2 tanks worth a year you need to put in for fuel (£265 in today's prices.) Budget yourself another £300 a year for fuel just to be safe.

Some cars require valve lubricant systems to be installed, which requires a top up every so often which basically means more £££. Don't forget that the LPG system itself requires a good service every 10k or so.

If you did 23.7 MPG running on petrol @ 1.41 a litre that means in order to do 12000 miles it would cost you £3,200.

But I'm assuming you rack those miles up more on the motorway then you do the city. So it would be safe to assume you should achieve around 28 MPG x 1.41 a litre = £2,750 for every 12,000 miles (30/70 motorway.)

If the LPG system is costing you £1,600, add on another £300 for petrol and an extra say £100 maintenance cost for the system itself and you're looking at around £2,000 for the first year. So you should start seeing savings towards the end of the first year.  :y

« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 15:29:50 by Jabe »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 September 2012, 17:20:38 »

Don't forget that the LPG system itself requires a good service every 10k or so.
Really, tell me more ::) ;D
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #44 on: 10 September 2012, 18:08:01 »

scenario1 (real) : car misfires from time to time and looses power.. lpg installer says not related to them, sends to mechanic , mechanic says , change ignition components , you change the parts and problem continues ;D  back to lpg installers they change injector set.. no problem visible for sometime and then.. problem continues back to mechanic .. cant find anything.. then some friend finds the problem with the sockets and finally all sockets changed with soldering them..

2 months later

scenario 2(real) : car looses power at high rpms, after several visits to several shops problem was found to be alternator..

just an example :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.