Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My turn (what tyre)  (Read 13444 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: My turn (what tyre)
« Reply #105 on: 23 September 2012, 12:02:07 »

OK, I can say, categorically, of all the tyres I've driven on in an Omega, and thats an awful lot, not just on my own (which I've had for 9yrs), but many, many, many member's cars, without doubt, the most impressive tyres are the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT.

Most magazine type reviews slate them. Yet virtually all user reviews from owners of larger cars rate them very highly, wet, dry, whatever.  So whats different?

Sorry to keep banging on about it, but I wouldn't fit Pirelli P6000 to a wheelbarrow, let alone most cars. Been there, done it, bought the t-shirt, and regretted it. Several times. Yet the P6000 is an absolutely stunning tyre on the Rover 25. That shows that tyres react differently on different chassis. So that shows that generic tyre reviews are invalid unless performed on the same chassis.  I have experienced this myself, I know it to be true, and it will take a lot of persuading to convince me otherwise. Dunlop SP3000 was a good, if not too durable, tyre on a leased Rover 400 we had, but is hopeless on an Omega.

The other reason I listen to User Reviews more than "Professional Tests" is you get an understanding over the life of the tyre. Most tyres have a high grip initial phase (which the Americans call Honeymoon Period of the tire tyre). This phase is irrelevent, as it soon wears through. Its probably there for marketting purposes, to make it perfrom better in such daft tests ;)

For info, I would buy Sport Maxx TT again tomorrow, but in order to reduce running costs, I was looking to compromise slightly towards a more durable tyre. Hence looking at SC3.

Tests can also be done on old tyres.. however, old tyres subject to many many factors  such that you can never equalize their previous heat , sunlight,road surface, pressure factors ..  so to keep the variables minimum tests are done with new..

I have never seen tests done with old cars.. :-\
So performed on the artificial initial compound, not the bulk of the tyre.

No wonder that Michelin do so well in these tests ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 23 September 2012, 12:05:44 »

OK guys, can you all not see it? We are a club of Omega Owners, some 10,000 strong. Can you not see an ideal opportunity here to collate 'experiences' (NOT figures) over the life of a tyre?

So rather than constantly disagreeing - we will never agree on the usefulness of tyre tests performed on different chassis - lets agree on what our findings are with various tyres on Omegas
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 23 September 2012, 12:08:24 »

OK, I can say, categorically, of all the tyres I've driven on in an Omega, and thats an awful lot, not just on my own (which I've had for 9yrs), but many, many, many member's cars, without doubt, the most impressive tyres are the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT.

Most magazine type reviews slate them. Yet virtually all user reviews from owners of larger cars rate them very highly, wet, dry, whatever.  So whats different?

Sorry to keep banging on about it, but I wouldn't fit Pirelli P6000 to a wheelbarrow, let alone most cars. Been there, done it, bought the t-shirt, and regretted it. Several times. Yet the P6000 is an absolutely stunning tyre on the Rover 25. That shows that tyres react differently on different chassis. So that shows that generic tyre reviews are invalid unless performed on the same chassis.  I have experienced this myself, I know it to be true, and it will take a lot of persuading to convince me otherwise. Dunlop SP3000 was a good, if not too durable, tyre on a leased Rover 400 we had, but is hopeless on an Omega.

The other reason I listen to User Reviews more than "Professional Tests" is you get an understanding over the life of the tyre. Most tyres have a high grip initial phase (which the Americans call Honeymoon Period of the tire tyre). This phase is irrelevent, as it soon wears through. Its probably there for marketting purposes, to make it perfrom better in such daft tests ;)

For info, I would buy Sport Maxx TT again tomorrow, but in order to reduce running costs, I was looking to compromise slightly towards a more durable tyre. Hence looking at SC3.

There you go. You seem to be happy to accept subjective non-scientific good reviews from other owners of large cars (not necessarily omega's?), but not controlled tests? For me these subjective reviews are generally useless except as you said for tyre life expectancy results. But that info varies unless you limit yourself to the UK reviews.

But I agree most commercial tests are on lighter FWD cars and therefore not applicable to the Omega per se. I dont expect to learn handling characterestics out of these tests. But I can interpret stopping distances, aquaplaning and noise levels as well as some of them provide wear data as well.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 12:14:00 by D »
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #108 on: 23 September 2012, 12:12:06 »

Tests can also be done on old tyres.. however, old tyres subject to many many factors  such that you can never equalize their previous heat , sunlight,road surface, pressure factors ..  so to keep the variables minimum tests are done with new..

in the last tests Micheline dont do so well (especially dry)..so I buy goodyears..

as far as I know they prepare only one compound as its filled in hot liquid form ::)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 23 September 2012, 12:13:28 »

OK guys, can you all not see it? We are a club of Omega Owners, some 10,000 strong. Can you not see an ideal opportunity here to collate 'experiences' (NOT figures) over the life of a tyre?

So rather than constantly disagreeing - we will never agree on the usefulness of tyre tests performed on different chassis - lets agree on what our findings are with various tyres on Omegas

Therein lies the problem. I certainly wont believe Tunnie's recommendations. I love the PS3, which you hate, so you wont believe my recommenations. Chris likes the SC3, but only the MO version, which is 91 rated and under specced for the Omega. CEM agrees with me, but others disagree. I suspect that collating thread will be the longest running debate ever.  ;D
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 23 September 2012, 12:14:21 »

There you go. You seem to be happy to accept subjective non-scientific good reviews from other owners of large cars (not necessarily omega's?), but not controlled tests?
Sorry, my point obviously didn't come over too well...  ...its the bit after your quote - whats different - that was the bit I was trying to stress. Clearly the mag tests do not align with owner's experiences. Hardly surprising given the narrow minded nature of the tests.  In fact, if tested on brand new tyres, the tests themselves - any parameter - are invalid, as its on the artificially soft part of the compound, not the compound that the tyre uses in life.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 23 September 2012, 12:15:53 »

Therein lies the problem. I certainly wont believe Tunnie's recommendations. I love the PS3, which you hate, so you wont believe my recommenations. Chris likes the SC3, but only the MO version, which is 91 rated and under specced for the Omega. CEM agrees with me, but others disagree. I suspect that collating thread will be the longest running debate ever.  ;D
Driver style has to be a part of it, along with expectations for the tyre.  Either way, its going to be more useful than some shitbox Golf test ;)
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 23 September 2012, 12:16:45 »

in the last tests Micheline dont do so well (especially dry)..so I buy goodyears..

as far as I know they prepare only one compound as its filled in hot liquid form ::)

Thats a new brand CEM, never heard of it? Is it a Turkey special?  ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #113 on: 23 September 2012, 12:18:53 »

yep.. if other members take part , it would run forever.. ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 23 September 2012, 12:19:12 »

I was in a member's car with GY Asym F1's on the back the other day - he sent me out in his car, and I was told to "enjoy myself" by said member. I think tunnie saw the rubber it left on the roundabouts ::). Needless to say, the F1 is not, based on a 4 or 5 mile run, on my list of tyres to buy next week. Yet does well in invalid tests ;)
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 23 September 2012, 12:20:38 »

Driver style has to be a part of it, along with expectations for the tyre.  Either way, its going to be more useful than some shitbox Golf test ;)

True, but Tunnie thinks he is a F1 driver, doesnt he?  ;)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 23 September 2012, 12:22:17 »

I was in a member's car with GY Asym F1's on the back the other day - he sent me out in his car, and I was told to "enjoy myself" by said member. I think tunnie saw the rubber it left on the roundabouts ::). Needless to say, the F1 is not, based on a 4 or 5 mile run, on my list of tyres to buy next week. Yet does well in invalid tests ;)

I would never assess a car that has different tyres on the 2 axles. The only way to truly assess a tyre would be new tyres all around. Let them scrub the coating/new layer/slippery bit off and then see how they perform.

This brings me back to subjective reviews. People are happy to slag off tyres when they are only doing 50% of the work. For all i know the other pair could be Autogrip/Wanli/Falken tyres? Not saying that was the case with TB.

The number of times I see people wanting to buy part worns or mix and match tyres, I am not sure the collating idea will work. The Omega is a cheap car and people dont want to spend £130 per tyre (*4) on expensive rubber, when the car probably costs less. Then factor in the worn suspension components that most 9+ year old cars would have and it becomes a minefield. I can see a review: "Those Sport Maxx's TB recommended are shite, but let me just leave out the fact that my springs are broken and that my car has not had geo setup done in the last 9 years".
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 12:33:40 by D »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #117 on: 23 September 2012, 12:25:02 »

I was in a member's car with GY Asym F1's on the back the other day - he sent me out in his car, and I was told to "enjoy myself" by said member. I think tunnie saw the rubber it left on the roundabouts ::) . Needless to say, the F1 is not, based on a 4 or 5 mile run, on my list of tyres to buy next week. Yet does well in invalid tests ;)

a good tire must sacrifice itself when things get hard instead of you..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #118 on: 23 September 2012, 12:25:36 »

I was in a member's car with GY Asym F1's on the back the other day - he sent me out in his car, and I was told to "enjoy myself" by said member. I think tunnie saw the rubber it left on the roundabouts ::) . Needless to say, the F1 is not, based on a 4 or 5 mile run, on my list of tyres to buy next week. Yet does well in invalid tests ;)

I would never assess a car that has different tyres on the 2 axles. The only way to truly assess a tyre would be new tyres all around. Let them scrub the coating/new layer/slippery bit off and then se how they perform.

yep..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 23 September 2012, 12:27:11 »

Let them scrub the coating/new layer/slippery bit off and then se how they perform.
So, these test on brand new tyres are pointless then ::)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.