Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre construction ( bit boring! and pic heavy )  (Read 12092 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre construction ( bit boring! and pic heavy )
« Reply #150 on: 02 January 2013, 18:28:08 »

Additionally, I guess MO is german for some variant of Merc OE, and AO is german for some variant of Audi OE. If so, if follows that there is possibly more than 1 type of Audi fitment, if they felt the need to call on AO1 ?
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #151 on: 02 January 2013, 18:33:00 »

Also, TheBoy has a sweet handling mv6 with worn Dunlop sport max TT.

He also has an elite with other issues, but new sc5. To me, the sc5 are poor in respect to tram lining.

The wheels have been swapped between the two cars. I wonder how the mv6 drives now...?

?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 02 January 2013, 18:34:43 »

Also, TheBoy has a sweet handling mv6 with worn Dunlop sport max TT.

He also has an elite with other issues, but new sc5. To me, the sc5 are poor in respect to tram lining.

The wheels have been swapped between the two cars. I wonder how the mv6 drives now...?

?
I am purposely not answering at this early stage...

...esp as you have probably done more miles in it than I have ;)
« Last Edit: 02 January 2013, 18:37:17 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 02 January 2013, 22:50:27 »

Mr tyre manufacturer will go away and try altering compound and tread pattern until it works. Usually. I have known them give up, tho.

On 18's - I usually buy a set before each track-day and then finish them off on the road. Cheapest, always. On the couple that I've had that tramlined, I've always found it to be the car and not the tyres.
since these ao1 where fitted, I think the rear wb bushes have failed, and the steering idler was replaced.

I could pick out the differences with the steering idler before and after. Slight steering play and a creak.

But I can't feel any difference with the rear wb bushes. ...another creak has developed so i need to check them again. But they where fine when ao1 where fitted because I checked while the car was jacked at the tyre fitters.

So, as I've made that about as clear as mud;
No tram lining.
Mo came off with worn in/outside edges and plenty of tread in the middle.
Rear bushes checked, and fine, while jacked at tyre fitters.
Ao1 went on, drove it away from the tyre fitters, instant tram lining.
Creak and slight play in idler, replaced, slightly better steering, tramlining no change.
Different creak developed, might be rear wb bushes, tramlining is same.

Conclude, mo don't tram line, ao1 do. Why?
Not tread pattern, it's exactly the same.
Don't think it's compound, grip and wear is very similar Afaict.
It's the narrower ao1 (235wide) the plays up so its not to do with width.
Mo where on both sets of sport stars in et30 and 38. No tramlining, it's not the et.
It's not the car as the before and after tyre change was night and day.
Ao1 pressures tried between 28 psi to 35. No affect on tramlining, just harsher ride.

IMO, it's the construction of the tyre, unless anyone else can think of another aspect that we could eliminate. ...?

don't forget the biggest difference of the lot - the second set had 8mm of tread, whereas the first set didn't

feeutfo

« Reply #154 on: 02 January 2013, 22:55:58 »

Mr tyre manufacturer will go away and try altering compound and tread pattern until it works. Usually. I have known them give up, tho.

On 18's - I usually buy a set before each track-day and then finish them off on the road. Cheapest, always. On the couple that I've had that tramlined, I've always found it to be the car and not the tyres.
since these ao1 where fitted, I think the rear wb bushes have failed, and the steering idler was replaced.

I could pick out the differences with the steering idler before and after. Slight steering play and a creak.

But I can't feel any difference with the rear wb bushes. ...another creak has developed so i need to check them again. But they where fine when ao1 where fitted because I checked while the car was jacked at the tyre fitters.

So, as I've made that about as clear as mud;
No tram lining.
Mo came off with worn in/outside edges and plenty of tread in the middle.
Rear bushes checked, and fine, while jacked at tyre fitters.
Ao1 went on, drove it away from the tyre fitters, instant tram lining.
Creak and slight play in idler, replaced, slightly better steering, tramlining no change.
Different creak developed, might be rear wb bushes, tramlining is same.

Conclude, mo don't tram line, ao1 do. Why?
Not tread pattern, it's exactly the same.
Don't think it's compound, grip and wear is very similar Afaict.
It's the narrower ao1 (235wide) the plays up so its not to do with width.
Mo where on both sets of sport stars in et30 and 38. No tramlining, it's not the et.
It's not the car as the before and after tyre change was night and day.
Ao1 pressures tried between 28 psi to 35. No affect on tramlining, just harsher ride.

IMO, it's the construction of the tyre, unless anyone else can think of another aspect that we could eliminate. ...?

don't forget the biggest difference of the lot - the second set had 8mm of tread, whereas the first set didn't
so, they tram line because they are new? :-\

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 02 January 2013, 23:13:56 »

no, but they might because they're taller.

they might because they're flexing more than the previous tyres because they have more rubber to flex and because the compound is softer

feeutfo

« Reply #156 on: 02 January 2013, 23:22:37 »

no, but they might because they're taller.

they might because they're flexing more than the previous tyres because they have more rubber to flex and because the compound is softer
mo didn't tram line, ever, not when new, not when worn out on the edges.
Ao1 train lined from new, and continue to do so. The tread is the same design and depth.

Just seen mo in Costco. Nearly bought some, then remembered they rub very slightly.

feeutfo

« Reply #157 on: 02 January 2013, 23:32:02 »

I really do think we have exhausted and discounted every aspect, except the construction of the tyre.

I have seen tyres make a massive difference in handling on bikes. Transforming any Gsxr from a wobbly dangerous mess, to a real weapon (if you like quick steering bikes) just by changing the tyres.

I've also seen the exact same thing in my own previous omega. As others will no doubt remember, fitting worn out Dunlops to replace wobbling and tram lining almost new Falkens.

To see the same problem from another tyre manufacturer in the same model and tread pattern with odds on the same compound, doesn't leave much else IMO.

Al mentioned wwd and rear wheel drive between Audi and merc. ...?

05omegav6

« Reply #158 on: 03 January 2013, 00:40:23 »

The front tyres on wwd, and the front suspension for that matter, have alot more asked of them than rwd.

If nothing else wwd geometry will be totally different to allow for the driveshaft which essentially fixes the hub position.

Rwd is much more flexible in this regard.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 03 January 2013, 20:24:40 »

I really do think we have exhausted and discounted every aspect, except the construction of the tyre.
Compound hasn't been discounted.

Trouble is, as consumers, we will never be able to find out more specifics about differences between manufacturer specific versions. I'm sure, even if the tyre company was that open (they won't be), I suspect they would be under NDA.

I really do think we are back to finding a suitable tyre that works for what we need, and sticking to it (until its obsolete). Though it can be a bloody expensive process  :'(
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.