Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Can be done....  (Read 18613 times)

feeutfo

Re: Can be done....
« Reply #60 on: 22 January 2013, 22:06:27 »

One of these days one of us is going to have to get one on a hoist, drop it in and see what's what. All the calculation in the world won't tell you what offering one up will. ;)

If someone brings an engine-less Omega round we can always try dropping the 390 in for giggles..  ;D

Now, who's got an engine-less omega? ::)

Might have to cut a hole in the floorpan so he can do the Flintstone thing. ;D

Can't be more than 10 or 12 miles, and he was mentioning the need to get fit....  :D
::)

aaronjb

« Reply #61 on: 22 January 2013, 22:08:29 »

One of these days one of us is going to have to get one on a hoist, drop it in and see what's what. All the calculation in the world won't tell you what offering one up will. ;)

If someone brings an engine-less Omega round we can always try dropping the 390 in for giggles..  ;D

Can't be more than 10 or 12 miles, and he was mentioning the need to get fit....  :D

Clearly we need to work on him a bit more, Kevin.. I mean there's even storage space for the rusty hulk H will soon set fire to bodyshell in my garden..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 22 January 2013, 22:09:19 »

...a 4 cylinder turbo engine would be 'wrong' for an Omega, unless you were building a stripped out track machine... (for drifting obviously as an Omega is never going to make a track day race car.)

I'm considering it actually... Could be a grin ;D ;D

Definitely it would be fun, just not fast. :)

That's the trouble... I'd love to do it but am looking more along the lines of MX-5. Ideally I want RWD and 1.8 or under (classes based on cc) and MX just seems to be ticking the boxes ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #63 on: 22 January 2013, 23:09:06 »

We're very roughly talking about doubling bhp, for almost the same weight lump. With a fairly big dolup of reliability thrown in, with alot less maintanance over an omega v engine.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 22 January 2013, 23:55:52 »

...a 4 cylinder turbo engine would be 'wrong' for an Omega, unless you were building a stripped out track machine... (for drifting obviously as an Omega is never going to make a track day race car.)

I'm considering it actually... Could be a grin ;D ;D

Definitely it would be fun, just not fast. :)

That's the trouble... I'd love to do it but am looking more along the lines of MX-5. Ideally I want RWD and 1.8 or under (classes based on cc) and MX just seems to be ticking the boxes ;)

Just cos it is faster than any Omega, as proven at the York Meet....... :y :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #65 on: 23 January 2013, 10:05:43 »

Without the engine and box fitted, it is probably light enough to tow with another Omega :y

The only issue that you might have Aaron, is that if it fits, you will need to find another one ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #66 on: 23 January 2013, 10:09:05 »

noisewise v8 impressive..

but trying to fit a heavy v8 lump too much work imo.. c20let will be lighter , easily gives 400 bhp and fits straight in..
Good job it fits straight in,  as you'll be rebuilding it every couple of weeks ::)

Probably...

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #67 on: 23 January 2013, 10:54:28 »

noisewise v8 impressive..

but trying to fit a heavy v8 lump too much work imo.. c20let will be lighter , easily gives 400 bhp and fits straight in..
Good job it fits straight in,  as you'll be rebuilding it every couple of weeks ::)

Probably...

there are several here around 400 bhp.. I dont hear the owners have problems..  however, its a tradition that turbo cars must visit shops weekly to drink some tea from shop owners ;D :D    either a hose or a connection something usually goes wrong ;D 

I would turbo my engine(clit) anyday but fuel prices and usual wear/tear costs of turbo engines keeps me away :( :'(
« Last Edit: 23 January 2013, 10:57:19 by cem »

05omegav6

« Reply #68 on: 23 January 2013, 11:05:00 »

there are several here around 400 bhp.. I dont hear the owners have problems..  however, its a tradition that turbo cars must visit shops weekly to drink some tea from shop owners ;D :D    either a hose or a connection something usually goes wrong ;D 

I would turbo my engine(clit) anyday but fuel prices and usual wear/tear costs of turbo engines keeps me away :( :'(

See, even you agree that if you want a RELIABLE 400+bhp engine, then the only sensible answer is an LS lump :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #69 on: 23 January 2013, 11:10:33 »

See, even you agree that if you want a RELIABLE 400+bhp engine, then the only sensible answer is an LS lump :y

gm and reliability doesnt sound familiar to me ;D :y

ps: no one buys v8 engines to drive slow.. in that case weight matters!
« Last Edit: 23 January 2013, 11:12:31 by cem »

05omegav6

« Reply #70 on: 23 January 2013, 11:56:53 »

The GM LS series is probably the most reliable engine ever made :y

And as for the weight issue, a large displacement V8 produces a level of torque from idle that a four pot turbo shastbox can only dream of ;D . And as we all know, without torque, horsepower means nothing :y

Take the Monaro as an example, can be reliably supercharged to well over 500bhp, will reach the thick end of 170, even in standard tune, yet does barely 1500 rpm at 70mph (120kph). At that speed, your clit is probably doing nearer 4000rpm, and using almost as much fuel.

And knowing Renault parts prices, the V8 is cheaper to service too :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 23 January 2013, 18:57:29 »

LS1 = 188 kg Wet
M62B44 = 221 kg Dry (+ 9.15l of Oil)
C20XE = 145 kg Wet

Cant find the weight of a C20LET online, but I'd imagine marginally more than the C20XE for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2013, 19:13:21 by Broomies Mate »
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

RobseyMV6

• west sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 23 January 2013, 19:12:50 »

I'm sure 2woody will have more accurate figures, but its not really a problem to get 400 out of 1-3 with basic tuning naturally aspirated. Super charging 500hp ish.

Robsys monaro puts put 500 iirc, with a sooohoooHOOOOper charger and monkish mapping. Which runs better with a more manly fuel pump. :)

Good to see lots of chat, we all need to put our heads togther with a ls and omega shell and get it done!!!

Cars running 540 now at rear wheels 685 at fly   8)

feeutfo

« Reply #73 on: 23 January 2013, 19:14:24 »

LS1 = 188 kg Wet
C20XE = 145 kg Wet

Cant find the weight of a C20LET online, but I'd imagine marginally more than the C20XE for obvious reasons.
3,2 weight ? Anyone?

aaronjb

« Reply #74 on: 23 January 2013, 19:21:43 »

I see figures of between 150kg and 175kg on the interwebs, I believe the C20LET is about the same when you include the (heavy) turbo into it's figures.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.