Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Dunlop Sport Maxx RT  (Read 12791 times)

feeutfo

Re: Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2013, 19:16:46 »

Me thinks we need an OOF tyres test.

...no...seriously, we REALLY DO. Right royal pain in the 'arris to sort out, but if a bad tyre choice is costing £700, I don't know about you, but that's unacceptable, given the resourcefulness of this particular forum.

I'd bet Dunlop win mind. In the performance category anyway. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2013, 19:39:27 »

...no...seriously, we REALLY DO. Right royal pain in the 'arris to sort out, but if a bad tyre choice is costing £700, I don't know about you, but that's unacceptable, given the resourcefulness of this particular forum.

Thats only for you lot with Chav me alloys!

Lot to be said for using spares from OOF, £25 a corner for Kumo31's including the alloy!  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2013, 19:43:49 »

Lot to be said for using spares from OOF, £25 a corner for Kumo31's including the alloy!  ;D
Most quality tyres are going to be in the region of £140 to £180 a corner, depending on size.

As you know, I lack faith in 2nd hand tyres. Also, unless they are really cheap, they are false economy (if they don't come with the wheel).
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2013, 19:51:34 »

Most quality tyres are going to be in the region of £140 to £180 a corner, depending on size.

As you know, I lack faith in 2nd hand tyres. Also, unless they are really cheap, they are false economy (if they don't come with the wheel).

More than happy with my set of Kumo 31's & Dunlop Winter 3D sport winters. Kumos had very little use previously, I don't push my tyres that hard so very happy. Dunlop winters as I've just shown, 1.6k miles blasting through Euroland in fairly extreme temps. However, if it was for MrsT or MotherT/FatherT I would have to vote new. Its my choice to run these, but they are good well known brands of tyres from good members here.

£100 for set suddenly made 2.2 back on road a viable option again.

Considering most Omegas are worth less than 4 figures, where is the sense in spending close or more than their entire value in just tyres?

Also having had Nexen's N6000 "professionally" fitted new to my 3.2, they have been worse than second hand. One tyre would loose 50% of its pressure over night, had to go back, others easily loose 3/4 PSi a week, clearly not great. Thats brand new £90 a corner, my Kumos have not lost pressure in months.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2013, 19:53:45 »

Also having had Nexen's N6000 "professionally" fitted new to my 3.2, they have been worse than second hand. One tyre would loose 50% of its pressure over night, had to go back, others easily loose 3/4 PSi a week, clearly not great. Thats brand new £90 a corner, my Kumos have not lost pressure in months.
Thats poor, who did that?
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2013, 19:58:13 »

Place on the industrial estate, near chicken factory. Think the alloys need a refurb, they bashed them on too quick. Remember that thread of me finding a weight on drive? Entire sticky weight dropped off  >:(

Shit experience. At some point I plan to have tyres taken off, wheels sorted an tyres re-fitted.

What I'm trying to say is just because you get brand new, does not guarantee superiority or reliability. Its all down to the fitter....

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2013, 20:00:12 »

Place on the industrial estate, near chicken factory. Think the alloys need a refurb, they bashed them on too quick. Remember that thread of me finding a weight on drive? Entire sticky weight dropped off  >:(

Shit experience. At some point I plan to have tyres taken off, wheels sorted an tyres re-fitted.

What I'm trying to say is just because you get brand new, does not guarantee superiority or reliability. Its all down to the fitter....

yep.. agreed.. 

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 28 January 2013, 20:12:15 »

Ive spent £75 on tyres since I bought my car two and a half years ago. 4 tyres from OOFers,fitted them to the rims myself,4 tyres with plenty of tread on the elite alloys  from my breaker when I fitted them. :D

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 January 2013, 20:35:15 »

I spent a total of £50 or £60 in the last two years for two part worns. Now I have a 8 y/o Pirelli and contisport2 on the fronts and a Goodyear eagle and Goodyear excellence on the rear. All with different treads depths.

I can't justify spending close to the value of my car on tyres either but part worns is an option I will no longer consider and ditch finders? Forget it.

Is there a tyre out there that is cheap and gives good performance?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 28 January 2013, 20:48:25 »

making a tyre test not that easy.. you can measure brake distances probably but you will need a dry track, wet track, lateral g measurement devices .. :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 28 January 2013, 21:10:02 »

Nope,don't need any equipment. Except to measure breaking, cones? wet and dry perhaps, but just what weather is on the day will do. Hopefully it will be consistent.

I'll wager, if we group drivers honestly, say 3 groups for arguments sake. Each group will come to the same conclusion, given the chance to drive the same car on each set.

We'll need 3 models of omega in sound mechanical order re suspension and steering and set up.
Mv6
Cdx or CD or Gls etc
Elite

Measure;
ride feel(comfort)
No of corrections at the steering wheel(tramlining)
Braking. (Difficult to get both wet and dry tbh. Wet might mean more)
Lateral load (speed on a constant curve, eg roundabout)
Noise (we have ears)

Easy! :)            :-\ ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 28 January 2013, 21:12:56 »

By measure I mean marks out of 10, speed in cornering and distance for braking.

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 28 January 2013, 21:14:22 »

Now, who has access to a large empty car park area, and some covered power?

No top speed stuff required. We could do a road test any time.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #28 on: 28 January 2013, 21:18:21 »

Nope,don't need any equipment. Except to measure breaking, cones? wet and dry perhaps, but just what weather is on the day will do. Hopefully it will be consistent.

I'll wager, if we group drivers honestly, say 3 groups for arguments sake. Each group will come to the same conclusion, given the chance to drive the same car on each set.

We'll need 3 models of omega in sound mechanical order re suspension and steering and set up.
Mv6
Cdx or CD or Gls etc
Elite

Measure;
ride feel(comfort)
Noise (we have ears)

I'm not sure.. if you dont have exact measuring devices , results will be highly discussable.. :-X

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 28 January 2013, 21:21:46 »

Mv6
Cdx or CD or Gls etc
Elite

Measure;
ride feel(comfort)
Noise (we have ears)

I'm not sure.. if you dont have exact measuring devices , results will be highly discussable.. :-X
opinion is all that counts cem. And there is only one way to find out. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.