Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter tyres dangerous  (Read 12217 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Winter tyres dangerous
« Reply #45 on: 30 January 2013, 01:20:45 »

And how does driving ability affect tyre grip? Btw?

Go on a police skid pan (or on the London Transport skid pan) and drive cars (buses) running bald tyres on a mixture of water/oil/detergent and you're learn to drive at speed with almost no tyre grip.  Try it - I have (including the buses!), and then talk about driving ability affecting tyre grip.  Driving ability is about retaining control with little tyre grip ::)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 January 2013, 01:21:13 »

Have worked in Sweden, Finland and travelled extensively in Denmark.  Law in Sweden says for Swedish registered cars a set (thats 4) winter tyres must be fitted from 1 December - 31 March (irrespective of weather conditions).  Similar in Finland and Denmark.  At the end of the day these guys are well experienced in the use of winter tyres - and the relevant point is fit a set (not 2) irrespective of weather conditions (ie temperature) from 1/12 tp 31/3.  End of ;)

Your mates wifes issues are because of only fitting 2 winter tyres (unbalanced car) and poor driving ability.

It's s good job we don't live in those two country's then, aye. ;)

Learn to count - 3 countries  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Count?  ??? He's still trying to smell spell!  ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #47 on: 30 January 2013, 01:22:05 »

Have worked in Sweden, Finland and travelled extensively in Denmark.  Law in Sweden says for Swedish registered cars a set (thats 4) winter tyres must be fitted from 1 December - 31 March (irrespective of weather conditions).  Similar in Finland and Denmark.  At the end of the day these guys are well experienced in the use of winter tyres - and the relevant point is fit a set (not 2) irrespective of weather conditions (ie temperature) from 1/12 tp 31/3.  End of ;)

Your mates wifes issues are because of only fitting 2 winter tyres (unbalanced car) and poor driving ability.

It's s good job we don't live in those two country's then, aye. ;)

Learn to count - 3 countries  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Count?  ??? He's still trying to smell spell!  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

feeutfo

« Reply #48 on: 30 January 2013, 01:35:08 »

Go on a police skid pan (or on the London Transport skid pan) and drive cars (buses) running bald tyres on a mixture of water/oil/detergent and you're learn to drive at speed with almost no tyre grip.  Try it - I have (including the buses!), and then talk about driving ability affecting tyre grip.  Driving ability is about retaining control with little tyre grip ::)
;D so let me get this right, your saying, weather you realise it or not, that the better driver you are, the more grip you have in your tyres.
That's pretty ignorant even for you. ;D

Now, if she had lost the car in a spin, you might have an argument on the second point, but as she caught it without issue, and has been on more sporting events, driving courses and track days than anyone I know, I'd day she's more competent than you. ;D

Oh, and attention span apportioned according to relevance of post, btw.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #49 on: 30 January 2013, 01:54:19 »

;D so let me get this right, your saying, weather you realise it or not, that the better driver you are, the more grip you have in your tyres.
That's pretty ignorant even for you. ;D

Now, if she had lost the car in a spin, you might have an argument on the second point, but as she caught it without issue, and has been on more sporting events, driving courses and track days than anyone I know, I'd day she's more competent than you. ;D

Oh, and attention span apportioned according to relevance of post, btw.

Is that a pun or a mis-spelling  ;D ;D ;D ;D

You didn't get it right - thats not what i was saying - just goes to reinforce your lack of understanding on this subject.

As to her competance compared to mine, sporting events, driving courses and track days mean nothing.  You are not aware of my driving history or competance - you are effectively saying you have seen a bigger dog than me without any information as to what I have seen.

For your information I spent a number of years actively competing in motor sport - rallying (MGB, TR4 and Cooper S), racing - saloons (cooper "S"), sports (Ferrari Dino), Formula Ford and Formula 3.  Have driven diverse vehicles from a Chiefton Tank, Le Mans winning GT40, to a Williams Formula 1 car.   No doubt, despite my advanced years, but with my experience, I could still scare the proverbial out of your competant friend by driving safely but quickly on a race track. ;)

I won't be posting on this topic any more - you can now continue to flog a dead horse in my absence Mr Pixie  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 30 January 2013, 01:56:40 by dbug »

feeutfo

« Reply #50 on: 30 January 2013, 02:01:22 »

Sounds like she's touched your nerve already ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 30 January 2013, 02:06:54 »

For your information I spent a number of years actively competing in motor sport - rallying (MGB, TR4 and Cooper S), racing - saloons (cooper "S"), sports (Ferrari Dino), Formula Ford and Formula 3.  Have driven diverse vehicles from a Chiefton Tank, Le Mans winning GT40, to a Williams Formula 1 car.   No doubt, despite my advanced years, but with my experience, I could still scare the proverbial out of your competant friend by driving safely but quickly on a race track. ;)

I won't be posting on this topic any more - you can now continue to flog a dead horse in my absence Mr Pixie  ;D ;D

OMG! Was your original licence printed on papyrus?  ::) ::) ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #52 on: 30 January 2013, 02:08:30 »

Sniff sniff....

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 30 January 2013, 02:27:53 »

This thread needs more info like what was she doing when the back went, braking, cornering, braking and cornering, accelerating? Was it dry or wet?   What make model tyres were they and were they the standard size? Were the previous ones worn low? Are the front ones worn low? It would be useful to know all of that before deciding winter tyres are dangerous. 

Eg If it was dry and her fronts were very worn and she cornered at speed the back would slide more than she would be used to with old worn backs, even if the new ones were not winter tyres.  Worn tyres grip better in the dry.

feeutfo

« Reply #54 on: 30 January 2013, 02:35:25 »

Don't know the tyre pressures either. But they are more than clued up enough to check that stuff.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 30 January 2013, 02:37:54 »

This thread needs more info like what was she doing when the back went, braking, cornering, braking and cornering, accelerating? Was it dry or wet?   What make model tyres were they and were they the standard size? Were the previous ones worn low? Are the front ones worn low? It would be useful to know all of that before deciding winter tyres are dangerous. 

Eg If it was dry and her fronts were very worn and she cornered at speed the back would slide more than she would be used to with old worn backs, even if the new ones were not winter tyres.  Worn tyres grip better in the dry.

Irrespective of the above ..... she was right!  ::)

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30 January 2013, 03:13:17 »

;D ;D ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 30 January 2013, 07:56:06 »

I've driven winters in double digits warm temp wise. Not issues, how on earth could it nearly spin the car?

I will be leaving mine on for another month or so, as in snow/slush they are mightly impressive.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #58 on: 30 January 2013, 08:51:09 »

Worked ok at the correct temp for winters. As you might expect. Trouble appears to be that the correct temp only lasted 2 weeks.

After 3 weeks since fitting they have to come off. And as Kev suggests, clearly the grip level is markedly different from summer tyres at that temp.

If the rear lost grip, the front would have too if winters all round at the same temp.

As said sooooo many times before. We just don't get the weather to justify winters.

these tyres work well until 20 celcius..  and without doubt I can choose a winter tyre that can stop and corner like your contis head to head.. I wish I was there :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30 January 2013, 08:59:56 »

interesting posts here.

just to add my $0.02 in..... we fit budget tyres all round and have had no problem in the snow LOL!  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.