Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter tyres dangerous  (Read 12400 times)

05omegav6

Re: Winter tyres dangerous
« Reply #75 on: 30 January 2013, 13:16:06 »

Here's hoping you get back in one piece, no point killing yourself over a tyre review :y

feeutfo

« Reply #76 on: 30 January 2013, 13:18:04 »

I'm about to go out to pick up some shopping and it must be 10ºC out there.

I'm leaving the winter tyres on.

I'll let you all know if I fly off the road and die ;)  :y

Apparently you'll be fine, but if you had summer tyres on the front, well, that's a killer. ;D

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 30 January 2013, 14:41:24 »

Don't know the tyre pressures either. But they are more than clued up enough to check that stuff.
Yes forgot that one.  In fact that was probably it, overinflated on dry road (did they squeal?). Sort of thing many a tyre seller would do (overinflate, not squeal ;)).

Alternatively, if it was wet, they would have slid if underinflated (leaking past rim seals most likely if alloys) .  You can be fully clued up but unless you test the pressure you will not know until you feel it.  Even a visual inspection may not reveal 30% underinflation.

feeutfo

« Reply #78 on: 30 January 2013, 15:05:36 »

The only issue here appears to be, the wrong tyres fitted to the rear axle.
Pressures ok, no puncture.

The only other possible thought was dusty road covered salt. It was dry.

However, again, other cars coped.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #79 on: 30 January 2013, 16:13:32 »

if some people  from snowy countries read this thread (ı'm sure they read) laughing with their ars* .. macho men+summer tyre vs winter tyre on snow ;D   For those who dont have the budget its ok.. keep the car at home.. else  :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #80 on: 30 January 2013, 16:17:08 »

this year up to now only 14 days was snowy .. but I checked the cars in job few cars were on summers nearly all had winter or all season tyres..

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 30 January 2013, 16:17:59 »

The only issue here appears to be, the wrong tyres fitted to the rear axle.
Pressures ok, no puncture.

The only other possible thought was dusty road covered salt. It was dry.

However, again, other cars coped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU
I don't think we'll ever know then.  Is is stretching it a bit to conclude winter tyres are dangerous. 

aaronjb

« Reply #82 on: 30 January 2013, 16:25:04 »

I'm back. I tried my best to throw it off the road as it's +10C out there and the only time I found the limit of grip was throwing it into a hard bend off a roundabout at 15mph faster than I'd normally take it (I.e. considerably faster than the other people there)..

When I got home I realised that was just because that tyre was 10psi low and the scrub marks were evident on the sidewall where I'd cornered hard enough to roll it off the tread blocks and onto a part of the tyre with no grip.

No way would it slide at "normal" speeds or acceleration rates, much less if I was just keeping up with traffic.

That matches my experience in warmer weather, even though these tyres have already lived through a (mild) winter in 2011/12 and since October.. Even if these were only on the back axle you'd have to be driving like a complete tool and much much faster than average traffic to get into trouble.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #83 on: 30 January 2013, 16:34:29 »

I'm back. I tried my best to throw it off the road as it's +10C out there and the only time I found the limit of grip was throwing it into a hard bend off a roundabout at 15mph faster than I'd normally take it (I.e. considerably faster than the other people there)..

When I got home I realised that was just because that tyre was 10psi low and the scrub marks were evident on the sidewall where I'd cornered hard enough to roll it off the tread blocks and onto a part of the tyre with no grip.

No way would it slide at "normal" speeds or acceleration rates, much less if I was just keeping up with traffic.

That matches my experience in warmer weather, even though these tyres have already lived through a (mild) winter in 2011/12 and since October.. Even if these were only on the back axle you'd have to be driving like a complete tool and much much faster than average traffic to get into trouble.

telling that winter tyres not safe above 10 celcius is whole crap.. millions of cars in europe is travelling with them until april ;D

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 30 January 2013, 17:02:57 »

winter tyres are perfectly safe in summer,they just wear faster thats all.

feeutfo

« Reply #85 on: 30 January 2013, 17:20:13 »

It is third hand info, to be fair. But that's what was said. :)

feeutfo

« Reply #86 on: 30 January 2013, 17:33:01 »

if some people  from snowy countries read this thread (ı'm sure they read) laughing with their ars* .. macho men+summer tyre vs winter tyre on snow ;D   For those who dont have the budget its ok.. keep the car at home.. else  :-X
Cem you probably know I'm the usually the first to mess about with these things if there's an advantage to be had. I fully accept their performance to be as you say in winter conditions. I ACCEPT WHAT TOU SAY.

...but hers the thing, you refuse to accept any other position other than your own, when your a quarter of the way round the planet googling any fact that suits your argument.
If English weather in the south turned consistently for the worse I'd fit them immediately. If I went to EASTERN Europe in winter, I'd fit them immediately.

Western Europe no, uk no, what you refuse accept is that we don't get the weather to warrant winters. 2 or 3 weeks aside, IF it snows. "iF" and if it doesn't, summer tyres will do in cold temp.

Where's Nicbat, vote ukip I say, and good riddance to Euopean Bullshit. ;D

We are not an east European country. Fact! Although I'm sure google will find something for you to suggest otherwise. ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #87 on: 30 January 2013, 17:37:36 »

Cem you probably know I'm the usually the first to mess about with these things if there's an advantage to be had. I fully accept their performance to be as you say in winter conditions. I ACCEPT WHAT YOU SAY.

...but hers the thing, you refuse to accept any other position other than your own, when your a quarter of the way round the planet googling any fact that suits your argument.
If English weather in the south turned consistently for the worse I'd fit them immediately. If I went to EASTERN Europe in winter, I'd fit them immediately.

Western Europe no, uk no, what you refuse accept is that we don't get the weather to warrant winters. 2 or 3 weeks aside, IF it snows. "iF" and if it doesn't, summer tyres will do in cold temp.

We are not an east European country. Fact! Although I'm sure google will find something for you to suggest otherwise. ;D

yep.. be sure ;D :y

feeutfo

« Reply #88 on: 30 January 2013, 17:44:06 »

Cem you probably know I'm the usually the first to mess about with these things if there's an advantage to be had. I fully accept their performance to be as you say in winter conditions. I ACCEPT WHAT YOU SAY.

cem the google bot ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #89 on: 30 January 2013, 17:58:36 »

cem the google bot ;D

I had to :-\  otherwise cant do my job.. microsoft chnages every f*ckin thing everyday..  >:(

because they have lots of sad old programmers like me :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.