Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres suitable for omega  (Read 21683 times)

05omegav6

Re: Tyres suitable for omega
« Reply #105 on: 29 December 2013, 21:22:24 »

Nothing to add here either, not going to rubbish last two different tyres as front suspension is still (very) experimental  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #106 on: 02 March 2014, 18:26:49 »

The basis of this is minimal tramlining. Grip level as per group.

MUST BE VARIFIED BY TWO DIFFERENT MEMBERS

These tyres have been tested or owned ( which ever ) by Chrisgixer Taxi Al and TheBoy, vxlv6 , dbug, Mv6Matt Pauls and Entwood so far.

Premium
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.         18" 245/40/18 97Y XL reasonable grip, good high speed behaviour
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric          Oe 17" 235/45R17 97 Y Extra Load - max load 730 Kg
Continental Sc3 mo           Front        18" 8j  245/40/18. 93y(rim protection)
Continental Sc3 Mo           Rear         18" 9j  265/35/18 97Y Extra load.
continental Sc3 generic                     Oe 17"
Dunlop sport maxx TT.                      Oe 17" 235/45/17 94Y
Michelin Pilot Primacy   225 55 16      OE 16" (expensive, and better available)
Pirelli P zero,                                    Oe 17" 235 45 17 r 97w

Mid range
Kumho ku31                                    Oe 17"
Pirelli p6000.                                    Oe 17"

Budget
Runway Performance 926.                18" 245/45/18 Average performance at best. Better than Acceleras.                                                                             
Runway Enduro 916+ 97W XL          Oe 235/45/17 ET33 (priced as budget, mid range quality  )
                                                               Oe 225/55/16 ET35?
                                                                    245/40/18 ET33 Irmscher Stila 8J x 18"
Accelera Alphas                                Oe 16"
                                                                   18" 245/40/18 97 XL.   Nothing special, not particularly stable at speed
Toyo proxy t1r.                                 Oe 17"
Nexen CP461                                   Oe 16" 225/55/16 (speed and rating no longer       
                                                                       available) (caution in standing water)
Westlake  sv308                                    Oe17" 235 45 ZR17 97W M+S (test for no Tramlining 
                                                                                                                       only )
Edited to update...

B-Buster

• Netherlands
    • 3x Omega 3.0
    • View Profile
    • OpelOmegaPortal (NL)
« Reply #107 on: 02 March 2014, 22:25:11 »

I am going through the pain of finding the right tires for my 18" Sport Stars too. Last week I've fitted PU bushes + OEM rear bushes to my front wishbones. The car was driving like a dream again with the 235/45 17 Conti TS830P wintertires. I absolutely love those tires. However, as winter season has seem to come to an end I switched back to my Sporties yesterday, and got a reminder of an urgent need for new tires.

I have two cars running on these wheels, one on 4x 8J and one on 9J rears. I originally started the 8J set with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires, 245/40 93Y on front and 97Y XL on the back. At the first year I liked them, 2nd year came with the tramlining.

Meanwhile the 9J set (from Serek iirc) came from the UK to my driveway and after a refurb Good Year F2 Assy 2 tires were fitted. Didn't like them from day one. The good: fairly quiet, stable while breaking. But less grippy than the PS2's and I was having real issues with the 265's on the rear. Continuous vibrations even after 5x balancing done by multiple tire shops. In the end I had them trimmed and now it's gone by 80%. Overall I am not impressed with them.

As two PS2's from my 8J set were to replace last summer, I followed up the advise of a tire shop with experience with our kind of cars. They told me to look into Falken ZE 914 as that would be a more neutral tire which would fit with the characteristics of my heavy saloon. Or Dunlop RT's if I wanted a silent tire. I gave it a go and ordered 2 from Falken. After driving them for about 5.000km I must say the handling is indeed pretty neutral. The 914's don't shine at any point but they also don't really tramline. However, they also don't provide ANY rim protection. Which makes I want to replace them again with something else.

The good experience with my Conti 830's made me think to check out their summer line, but then I spent some time here reading the experiences you guys have and noticed the SC5 is surely not a good option. The SC3 MO does interest me. Also I was thinking of Michelin Primacy HP's, not in production anymore but still available in some shops. A few years ago I owned those in 235/45 17 and was very happy with them. At one point I was able to drive a set of 17" executive rims with the PS3's fitted (235/45) and they were almost equal to my PS2's regarding the negative aspects. Not an option.

chrisgixer

« Reply #108 on: 02 March 2014, 22:44:16 »

Sc3 mo have good rim protection. 245 40 r18 93y front. 265 35 18 97y rear

First set I had where absolutely bob on for straight line handling. Second set now and I currently have mild tram lining on the front. New idler waiting to go on. Currently cause unknown. Although the fronts where fitted on the wrong side at one point.

Generally though, I have yet to find tyres with a better life v grip level. Wet or dry very good. Not excellent, but very good.

My only real complaint is noise. Least important performance feature, but its there and affects communication in the car.

Camber needs to be 1.10 really. But they do slightly rub the wheel arch liner on compression. At 1.15 the problem is gone.

B-Buster

• Netherlands
    • 3x Omega 3.0
    • View Profile
    • OpelOmegaPortal (NL)
« Reply #109 on: 02 March 2014, 22:51:37 »

Good to know about the rim protection on the SC3's, thanks. Sounds like the best option then at this point.

chrisgixer

« Reply #110 on: 02 March 2014, 22:56:09 »

I don't know what else to fit tbh. My absolute no1 priority is straight line stability.

Arguably the wider rears give a slight under steer tendency, so Dunlop rt fronts "might" be an improvement. With 265 sc3 mo rears.

However life will be significantly less. Possibly as much as 8k less, before the edges have gone.

B-Buster

• Netherlands
    • 3x Omega 3.0
    • View Profile
    • OpelOmegaPortal (NL)
« Reply #111 on: 02 March 2014, 23:07:21 »

I am not looking for maximum cornering speeds. Driving the car mostly at the motorway so I am with you, putting the straight line stability as a first requirement. A bit more tire noise is okay to me when the stability compensates for that.

Tire life... my TS830P's aren't on their way to reach a high number of milage either. I am fine with that, they served me well so far. 3.5-4mm's left.

chrisgixer

« Reply #112 on: 02 March 2014, 23:16:08 »

B-Buster

• Netherlands
    • 3x Omega 3.0
    • View Profile
    • OpelOmegaPortal (NL)
« Reply #113 on: 02 March 2014, 23:47:54 »

Been through that. And with three Migs I can clearly point the finger to the tires. ;D

B-Buster

• Netherlands
    • 3x Omega 3.0
    • View Profile
    • OpelOmegaPortal (NL)
« Reply #114 on: 03 March 2014, 11:19:06 »

Just ordered the Conti's, hopefully they can be fitted at the end of the week. One of my current PS2's is feeling the departure with me I guess, as I found it being completely empty this morning.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 03 March 2014, 18:02:45 »

Generally though, I have yet to find tyres with a better life v grip level. Wet or dry very good. Not excellent, but very good.
As the OP is not UK based, and uses Winters, the lack of any grip in snow is not relevant. But anyone reading who doesn't use winter tyres needs to be aware that SC3s are quite "interesting" in the snow, from what chrisgixer has said before.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #116 on: 03 March 2014, 18:43:08 »

As the OP is not UK based, and uses Winters, the lack of any grip in snow is not relevant. But anyone reading who doesn't use winter tyres needs to be aware that SC3s are quite "interesting" in the snow, from what chrisgixer has said before.

Yes, they are shockingly poor in snow. Iirc, in tests of stopping distances in snow, they used sc3 to justify winter tyres, hence excellent for a winter tyre test for manufacturers.
 But, after all other tyres in the test had stopped, the sc3 was still doing something in the order of 26-29 miles an hour. :o
 I can vouch for this, last we had snow. 3(?) years ago now is it? 40mph ish. Approaching traffic lights in the distance. Thought I better brake test well before I need to brake. See what happens. I'd say at least four times as long a brake distance allowed for.

Luckily the approaching traffic lights where a straight through on a roundabout. So I was able to steer round the round about, rather than follow my intended course straight though as normal. Otherwise there would have been an accident. Big time. :( :o

Good job then that they are much more suited to our current wet weather in winter in recent years. For that they are, did I mention, very good. ;)

B-Buster

• Netherlands
    • 3x Omega 3.0
    • View Profile
    • OpelOmegaPortal (NL)
« Reply #117 on: 03 April 2014, 22:07:07 »

Haha, I remember the day I drove with my fresh PS2's to work all nice and sunny, and then it started snowing. The way home was a disaster. Imo a set Sporties needs to be backed up with a set of winter tires.

Anyways, a few weeks ago I ordered the first pair of SC3's. Fitting them took a bit longer than expected but finally I've got them on the car now. Chris, a big thanks for the recommendation, these tires are the best I've driven on the Omega so far. Totally in love with them, so today the 2nd pair got delivered. These will replace the front tires of the 2nd car, will change the GY AS2 tires to the rears of my Omega which is running the 8J set.

Noise level is a bit higher than the GY's but on par with the PS2's. I don't mind it at all and the great handling would make up for it when I did.. No tramlining at all, almost unreal.. perfect! :D

Also liking the rim protection the SC3 offers:

Falken (on the car) vs. SC3 vs GY AS2

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 03 April 2014, 22:10:38 »

mmmm the way I read your post above .. you are putting new tyres on the front, and old tyres on the rear ??

Be advised this is NOT the recommended procedure, which is to ALWAYS (regardless of RWD or FWD) to have the best tyres on the rear to avoid major problems, especially in the wet or other slippery conditions ..

B-Buster

• Netherlands
    • 3x Omega 3.0
    • View Profile
    • OpelOmegaPortal (NL)
« Reply #119 on: 03 April 2014, 22:15:06 »

Rears still have 6mm on them, so that is not an issue.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.