Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres suitable for omega  (Read 21600 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres suitable for omega
« Reply #90 on: 20 March 2013, 10:11:02 »

So, are we adding Pirelli p6000 to this TB? :)

On checking they are already on the list.  :-[ ;D
Sorry, I cannot recommend a tyre that I have only driven for a couple of hundred miles at most, and that is almost on the wear marker when I started.

I was a tad late going to Pristine Wheels, needed to pick up the wheel before they closed, so was a bit frisky. I would say they do exhibit bum clenching understeer on fast sweepers. But given the wear, and the balancing (lack of), thats to be expected. Counter to that, they gave me the confidence to at least try.

P6000 is obselete as well? I know we couldn't get them in Rover size - they were superb on the Rover. Superb.

My 406 is shod with them as well,very impressed with them :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 20 March 2013, 10:15:24 »

So, are we adding Pirelli p6000 to this TB? :)

On checking they are already on the list.  :-[ ;D
Sorry, I cannot recommend a tyre that I have only driven for a couple of hundred miles at most, and that is almost on the wear marker when I started.

I was a tad late going to Pristine Wheels, needed to pick up the wheel before they closed, so was a bit frisky. I would say they do exhibit bum clenching understeer on fast sweepers. But given the wear, and the balancing (lack of), thats to be expected. Counter to that, they gave me the confidence to at least try.

P6000 is obselete as well? I know we couldn't get them in Rover size - they were superb on the Rover. Superb.

My 406 is shod with them as well,very impressed with them :y
Had them on my previous Rover 216, and never managed to get them to grip. Also on my Astra GTE they were rubbish, but never did find anything to make the front of that behave, hence flogged it (that and the £3k renewal premium).

Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #92 on: 20 March 2013, 12:03:41 »

All valid points, but I'd like to remind everyone of the absolute basic level from which I intended this to start from. Stability. Anything above that level qualifies as being fit for purpose. In that the base level qualification is being met.

Once that is established THEN we can go on to describe a tyre as, for example, shit! Or understeers, or bloody noisy. Up to sticks like super model to a white line.

We can have the subjective discussions later, but I defy anyone to agree that, for example, sc5 are not suitable once they have driven them. These are not to be fitted. And come under horrific. :( which is a shame, given previous conti models.

Anyway p6000 are suitable for omega. Weather or not they are the best or worst of the "suitable" category... Well that's a whole differant story altogether.

Is that fair?

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 20 March 2013, 12:16:22 »

If TB was closer, I would ask if I could fit SC5s to my car to see what the fuss is about  ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #94 on: 09 April 2013, 23:35:20 »

I would also recommend tests on Bridgestone potenza's.. either S001 or Re050.. if anyone have them ..

but not sure about they tramline or not ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 10 April 2013, 18:29:09 »

I would also recommend tests on Bridgestone potenza's.. either S001 or Re050.. if anyone have them ..

So no personal experience of the tyre on an Omega then? Remind me why you are posting this?
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 10 April 2013, 18:53:16 »

At the moment iam running 205/65vr/15 mxv3 michlen at front 30psi and 235/45/zr17 avon 3 on back 35psi
 turn in is precise and sure,also can enter corners that were 40mph before now at 50/55 with no understeer,
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 10 April 2013, 18:57:30 »

At the moment iam running 205/65vr/15 mxv3 michlen at front 30psi and 235/45/zr17 avon 3 on back 35psi
 turn in is precise and sure,also can enter corners that were 40mph before now at 50/55 with no understeer,
Its a thread specific to tramlining, not handling.

We know the best Omega tyre, without doubt, is the now obselete Dunlop Sport Maxx TT - try them on a well set up chassis, and everything else is a disappointment for stability, grip, feedback and confidence. Dry, rain, and even quite good in the snow. Or if you are some Taxi bloke from down south, some budget tyres which apparently have good stability, and midrange grip ;D
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #98 on: 10 April 2013, 19:13:56 »

So no personal experience of the tyre on an Omega then? Remind me why you are posting this?

I had the earlier model from s001 , adrenaline (215/55-16) (didnt tramline)  on omega (same design though) was quite pleased with it.. Also Chris used them ;)    and I remember some members used re050 (on omega) but cant remember now :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 10 April 2013, 19:50:47 »

I had the earlier model from s001 , adrenaline (215/55-16) (didnt tramline)  on omega (same design though) was quite pleased with it.. Also Chris used them ;)    and I remember some members used re050 (on omega) but cant remember now :-\
Keep it to the ones you have personally tried on an Omega. Not ones that look similar. That just confuddles the issue.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #100 on: 10 April 2013, 21:01:53 »

'03 2.5 V6 Estate -  Goodyear EfficientGrip 225/55 R16 95W XL, F 34psi R 36psi.

Just replaced rears (down to 2.5mm, even wear across treads) with Enduros 225/55 R16 99W @ 36psi. Feels ok (had Enduros before on previous Omegas without issue) - will see how they are after a couple of thousand miles ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 10 April 2013, 21:21:13 »

Not an Omega but have those on the wife's Astra and they are awful

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #102 on: 10 April 2013, 21:36:17 »

Not an Omega but have those on the wife's Astra and they are awful

I can also list a bunch of awful tyres on omega ::) ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #103 on: 29 December 2013, 21:13:09 »

A wee bump for this, I notice a certain admin has discovered his rubber has run out. Anything to add?

But...
The basis of this is
Remember please, purely factual, first hand experience, of tyres, on an omega only, THAT DO NOT TRAMLINE please. :)

Two members to agree, and its goes on the list. :y

Any more for any more. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 29 December 2013, 21:16:27 »

Nothing to add. We already knew SC5s were shite (no straight line stability, no grip) from the start. They didn't improve with age.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.