Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy  (Read 13257 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy
« Reply #150 on: 11 March 2013, 18:31:58 »

ok.. after some search on UK drivers experiences with conti SC5 , they verify your complaints..
especially Mercedes owners..

this is their comment on SC5
"Compound remains hard and can't warm up enough to attain summer performance and can be noisy and slippery. "

yesterday, my view was that this tyre was not getting enough hot to perform well in the wet (apart from tramlining problem-but cant post my view as thread is locked) and as I see Mercedes owners share the same view about temp (despite your daily commute is enough long to heat an average tyre but however I found this info also interesting
So you think I'm not getting enough heat into them?  I suggest you google map Milton Keynes ;)

"The ContiSportContact 5 is Continental’s Max Performance Summer tyre. Initially developed to match the sporty driving characteristics of Mercedes-Benz SLK350 roadsters, the ContiSportContact 5 is designed to combine short braking distances and good cornering traction with reduced fuel consumption and good treadwear. However like all summer tyres, they are not intended to be driven in near freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
The ContiSportContact 5 uses Continental’s Black Chilli compound molded into an asymmetric tread design that features a macro-block outboard shoulder that adapts to the road surface to improve road grip and cornering stability. Four circumferential grooves channel water to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. A continuous center rib and notched intermediate ribs promote steering response and straight-line tracking.
The ContiSportContact 5’s Black Chilli compound’s short-chain polymers react to braking forces by building heat to shorten braking distance on wet and dry roads, while the compound’s long-chain polymers release the absorbed energy more efficiently at constant speeds to reduced rolling resistance. Thus, the tyre stops faster and remains cooler for longer life and reduced fuel consumption.
The tyre's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped polyamide (a mixture of heat-resistant synthetic aramid fiber and nylon threads) that enhances the ride quality while tuning the contact area's vertical flexibility and lateral rigidity.
"
Lifted from their site? Its clearly a marketting piece - easily spotted, lots of valid words when only one would do, "Bullshit"

instead they find an alternative conti model for UK weather
Conti EC DWS.......
Ultra high performance all season Dry-Wet-Snow design.

I never hear about this model and never seen in any test :-\
Are you now suggesting that I bin these, and buy yet more junk that you've never tried, personally, on an Omega?   >:(

Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #151 on: 11 March 2013, 18:41:37 »

ok.. after some search on UK drivers experiences with conti SC5 , they verify your complaints..
especially Mercedes owners..

this is their comment on SC5
"Compound remains hard and can't warm up enough to attain summer performance and can be noisy and slippery. "

yesterday, my view was that this tyre was not getting enough hot to perform well in the wet (apart from tramlining problem-but cant post my view as thread is locked) and as I see Mercedes owners share the same view about temp (despite your daily commute is enough long to heat an average tyre but however I found this info also interesting
So you think I'm not getting enough heat into them?  I suggest you google map Milton Keynes ;)

"The ContiSportContact 5 is Continental’s Max Performance Summer tyre. Initially developed to match the sporty driving characteristics of Mercedes-Benz SLK350 roadsters, the ContiSportContact 5 is designed to combine short braking distances and good cornering traction with reduced fuel consumption and good treadwear. However like all summer tyres, they are not intended to be driven in near freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
The ContiSportContact 5 uses Continental’s Black Chilli compound molded into an asymmetric tread design that features a macro-block outboard shoulder that adapts to the road surface to improve road grip and cornering stability. Four circumferential grooves channel water to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. A continuous center rib and notched intermediate ribs promote steering response and straight-line tracking.
The ContiSportContact 5’s Black Chilli compound’s short-chain polymers react to braking forces by building heat to shorten braking distance on wet and dry roads, while the compound’s long-chain polymers release the absorbed energy more efficiently at constant speeds to reduced rolling resistance. Thus, the tyre stops faster and remains cooler for longer life and reduced fuel consumption.
The tyre's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped polyamide (a mixture of heat-resistant synthetic aramid fiber and nylon threads) that enhances the ride quality while tuning the contact area's vertical flexibility and lateral rigidity.
"
Lifted from their site? Its clearly a marketting piece - easily spotted, lots of valid words when only one would do, "Bullshit"

instead they find an alternative conti model for UK weather
Conti EC DWS.......
Ultra high performance all season Dry-Wet-Snow design.

I never hear about this model and never seen in any test :-\
Are you now suggesting that I bin these, and buy yet more junk that you've never tried, personally, on an Omega?   >:(

clearly , the picture is not that simple.. :-\

first , I'm not a German  and not a shareholder in Conti and no need to make their ad freely ;D 
however, as our old saying "kill the man but give his right"  :)

they make good tyres and their technology is beyond the ordinary people who is outside tyre making/design bussiness..

but one thing is very obvious, this tyres working parameters by design dont match your conditions..

so either you wait and see/use them in summer or you discard them..

and I shared this model as an info,  not a recommandation.. and I dont remember I recommend you anything :y

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 13 March 2013, 12:34:22 »

An update. Went to Halfords and bought a tyre pressure gauge. Came home, left car for 1.5 hours to cool down and just checked pressures.

Fronts were 33 and 34.5 psi (L to R)
Rears were 33.5 and 34.5 psi (L to R)

(approx, this is from memory  ::)  ;D )

Set to 32 psi all round for now

feeutfo

« Reply #153 on: 13 March 2013, 15:49:02 »

An update. Went to Halfords and bought a tyre pressure gauge. Came home, left car for 1.5 hours to cool down and just checked pressures.

Hmmm. Nothing there to cause concern. :(

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 13 March 2013, 17:30:06 »

What were you expecting (or hoping for?)

feeutfo

« Reply #155 on: 13 March 2013, 21:13:18 »

Hmmm. Nothing there to cause concern. :(

too low tyre pressure. Caused by a dodgy gauge. But those pressures shouldnt cause an issue. Need to examine further. Free until Thursday SMD. :y
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 21:15:12 by chrisgixer »

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 13 March 2013, 21:52:56 »

Thanks for the offer Chris.  :)  Frankly, I'm fed up of spending money and time on this car now. I'm also spending far too time on this forum (according to the missus). I've made countless trips to WIM, each time costing around £40 in fuel. Should have just left it alone after the initial setup. The sump has also started to weep so that will need addressing this weekend.

My 4y/o daughter fell and broke her arm on Monday. Had an operation yesterday and is now back home recovering. I'm tired myself with all the running around and had very little sleep and probably as a result of this, have man flu. Nail in coffin is I'm back at work tomorrow. Couldn't care less about the car right now TBH.

feeutfo

« Reply #157 on: 13 March 2013, 22:00:43 »

Yep, a car is a livelyhood. It's vital to daily life. Might be why, rightly or wrongly, I get so hacked off when people "appear" to piss about when we are trying to sort issues with them.
Offers there anyway. If you get a minute and are happy to give the info, feel free to send me your mobile number and rough location. If I'm out that way.... Etc.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 14 March 2013, 06:25:57 »

Sorry Chris if my last message came across as rude, was not my intention at all..  :). I'm grateful for your offer to help. I might have unintentionally offended my sister in law the other day too  :-X

I'm in east London mate so if you happen to get lost and find yourself here, I'd be interested to meet up.

feeutfo

« Reply #159 on: 14 March 2013, 06:33:41 »

Sorry Chris if my last message came across as rude, was not my intention at all..  :). I'm grateful for your offer to help. I might have unintentionally offended my sister in law the other day too  :-X

I'm in east London mate so if you happen to get lost and find yourself here, I'd be interested to meet up.

Rude? Not at all. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #160 on: 14 March 2013, 08:58:04 »

Thanks for the offer Chris.  :)  Frankly, I'm fed up of spending money and time on this car now. I'm also spending far too time on this forum (according to the missus). I've made countless trips to WIM, each time costing around £40 in fuel. Should have just left it alone after the initial setup. The sump has also started to weep so that will need addressing this weekend.

My 4y/o daughter fell and broke her arm on Monday. Had an operation yesterday and is now back home recovering. I'm tired myself with all the running around and had very little sleep and probably as a result of this, have man flu. Nail in coffin is I'm back at work tomorrow. Couldn't care less about the car right now TBH.

sorry to hear that.. I hope she recovers quickly :y

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 14 March 2013, 09:36:59 »

Thanks. It's difficult at her age, she is wearing is cast which has to stay on for 5 weeks so it restricts her movements and when her arm itches and she is unable to scratch it, she turns into a different person  :-[

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #162 on: 14 March 2013, 09:51:27 »

Thanks. It's difficult at her age, she is wearing is cast which has to stay on for 5 weeks so it restricts her movements and when her arm itches and she is unable to scratch it, she turns into a different person  :-[

at least she is very young now and her body can repair the bones quickly.. :-\
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.