Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy  (Read 13259 times)

feeutfo

Re: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy
« Reply #30 on: 09 March 2013, 22:47:03 »

Hi Entwood , if you get a minute, can you post tyre size, load and speed rating for us...?

Or did I ask you this once before? Forgive my poor memory if so. :-[

Tomorrow do ?? can't be arsed to go out and wave a torch around ... I'm having a beer .... :)
Too right. :)

feeutfo

« Reply #31 on: 09 March 2013, 22:48:49 »

for those interested, just put tyre "name, model and tramline" word and google it..

for every tyre you may find an owner talking about tramlining.. ;D

but high performance tyres "interestingly"  without exception.. ;)
I do hope your not finding SMD's and TheBoys problems with tramlining amusing cem.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #32 on: 10 March 2013, 09:38:02 »

for those interested, just put tyre "name, model and tramline" word and google it..

I do hope your not finding SMD's and TheBoys problems with tramlining amusing cem.

all wide tyres tramline less or more.. full stop.. and if you expect something different ,  you will be dissappointed..

and I think you are playing for the tribunes again Chris..

feeutfo

« Reply #33 on: 10 March 2013, 09:56:42 »

all wide tyres tramline less or more.. full stop.. and if you expect something different ,  you will be dissappointed..

Your wrong! It is becoming increasingly difficult, granted, with the new eu batch of tyres it seems, but I don't understand why you continually disappear off to google for any old 'dangle berries' on the Internet that suits your miss guided arguments based on zero common sense and experience. The relevant experience is here, on this forum, first hand, on the relevant vehicle.
 Your attitude is unhelpfuly sarcastic and miss guided. Rule no1 in life, if you have nothing to say, say nothing, and cirtainly don't run off to google quoting urban myths and rubbish to other members here. We have enough of those already, and dis proving them is expensive.

However if you have first hand experience, great. We're all ears cem. :y

feeutfo

« Reply #34 on: 10 March 2013, 10:00:31 »

Sc3 mo
Sport maxx TT
Eagle f1

No tram lining. Proved by members here. However we do need to understand what the issue is with SMD's car. Suspect the devil is in the detail ie load ratings.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 March 2013, 10:11:57 »

I'm guessing you have never tried Sport Maxx TT on your Omega cem? On a properly set up chassis, pumped to around 30-32 psi, then you will get an idea of stability. And grip, as it happens, as well. And this remains like this from new, all the way to well beyond the legal limit in the UK (1.6mm), come rain or shine. In fact the first thing that alerted me to how worn they were was a high speed rear end aquaplane moment on one of the negative camber sweepers on the A43 about 7 miles from here on Christmas Eve (boy, was it raining).

Or Dunlop Sport 9000. Again, stable until about 3mm (then they absolutely fall off a cliff - more than once I've though something had broken).

Or Conti SC2/3 (generic). I always felt the SC2 had more grip than SC3, so after 1 set of SC3s, always shyed away from them.

As to holding the wheel tighter, thats ridiculous, and shows a lack of understanding of what the problem is. You need to feed in corrections to make the car go straight. If you rigidly held it in one place on a straight piece of road, you'd soon be off the black stuff.

Driving on the motorway (UK motorways have quite wide lanes), you daren't do more than a very quick glance in the mirrors, as you need to be looking at keeping the car in your lane.

Moderate braking, you need room, as the front of the car will squirm violently left to right. In the dry, you can hear the tyres fighting for grip as it does so.

All of this proved to be tyres. 100%. The advantage of 2 Omegas is I can swap wheels, and see where the fault moves.

SC5s are unsuitable for the Omega
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #36 on: 10 March 2013, 10:14:01 »

Sc3 mo
Sport maxx TT
Eagle f1
Runway Enduro 916+ (inspite of tyre pressures being a bit high, 44/51 :o and the car less than perfectly set up. Pressures reduced to 34/40 and still no tramlining :y)

No tram lining. Proved by members here. However we do need to understand what the issue is with SMD's car. Suspect the devil is in the detail ie load ratings.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 March 2013, 10:14:07 »

SMD - can you do me a favour, and run your tyres are 28psi all round for 2 or 3 days, and report back. I know others are saying go harder, however, I have a contradictory theory.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 March 2013, 10:18:53 »

Apologies, cem, sounded like I was having a rant at you. Not my intention, although an element of frustration was creeping in  :-[

Can you help your fellow OOFers by stating what tyres you have tried on your Omega, what the geo settings are for your car, and what you honestly thought of those tyres?

I think that would be infinately more useful to your fellow OOFers than reposting irrelevent reviews :y
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2013, 10:20:45 »

I think a rant at cem is entirely reasonable frankly! Especially given his recommendations here, at £700 a pop.  >:(
« Last Edit: 10 March 2013, 10:22:26 by chrisgixer »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2013, 10:48:07 »

Your wrong! It is becoming increasingly difficult, granted, with the new eu batch of tyres it seems, but I don't understand why you continually disappear off to google for any old 'dangle berries'

Chris you are making us busy with your dangle berries.. >:(

on the Internet that suits your miss guided arguments based on zero common sense and experience.

My arguments are correct , based on first hand experience on many tyres that you may never experience in your whole life.. ::)

The relevant experience is here, on this forum, first hand, on the relevant vehicle.
 Your attitude is unhelpfuly sarcastic and miss guided.

its valid for yours not mine..  and whatever the subject you want to have the last word.. but no worries I have no intention to make dangle berries race with you..

Rule no1 in life, if you have nothing to say, say nothing, and cirtainly don't run off to google quoting urban myths and rubbish to other members here.

really ?  ;D    you are unaware of basic physics rules.. and claiming the same bollix again and again >:(

We have enough of those already, and dis proving them is expensive.

However if you have first hand experience, great. We're all ears cem. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2013, 10:49:46 »

I'm guessing you have never tried Sport Maxx TT on your Omega cem? On a properly set up chassis, pumped to around 30-32 psi, then you will get an idea of stability. And grip, as it happens, as well. And this remains like this from new, all the way to well beyond the legal limit in the UK (1.6mm), come rain or shine. In fact the first thing that alerted me to how worn they were was a high speed rear end aquaplane moment on one of the negative camber sweepers on the A43 about 7 miles from here on Christmas Eve (boy, was it raining).

Or Dunlop Sport 9000. Again, stable until about 3mm (then they absolutely fall off a cliff - more than once I've though something had broken).

Or Conti SC2/3 (generic). I always felt the SC2 had more grip than SC3, so after 1 set of SC3s, always shyed away from them.

As to holding the wheel tighter, thats ridiculous, and shows a lack of understanding of what the problem is. You need to feed in corrections to make the car go straight. If you rigidly held it in one place on a straight piece of road, you'd soon be off the black stuff.

Driving on the motorway (UK motorways have quite wide lanes), you daren't do more than a very quick glance in the mirrors, as you need to be looking at keeping the car in your lane.

Moderate braking, you need room, as the front of the car will squirm violently left to right. In the dry, you can hear the tyres fighting for grip as it does so.

All of this proved to be tyres. 100%. The advantage of 2 Omegas is I can swap wheels, and see where the fault moves.

SC5s are unsuitable for the Omega

you are claiming that dunlops dont/wont tramline ???

well, go on ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #42 on: 10 March 2013, 10:51:51 »

all tyres will tramline.. if you dont accept this fact, there is nothing to discuss..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2013, 10:52:36 »

Ahhh tyres. Unless I get 30k out of them I'm not happy  ::)  ;D

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2013, 11:00:36 »

SMD - can you do me a favour, and run your tyres are 28psi all round for 2 or 3 days, and report back. I know others are saying go harder, however, I have a contradictory theory.

I can do this, no problem but tomorrow my boot will be fully loaded so would that have a negative impact on handling with lower pressures?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.