Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy  (Read 13064 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy
« Reply #45 on: 10 March 2013, 11:02:34 »

you are claiming that dunlops dont/wont tramline ???

well, go on ::)
To be 100% clear on this, I am claiming that Dunlop Sport Maxx TT on any properly set up Omega I have put them on, have so little tendency to wander offline, you can effectively say they do not tramline.

They will steer away from camber, and will follow ruts. But on normal roads, no tramline. None. Zilch.

Anyone who has driven my car (thats a fair few members) can verify.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 March 2013, 11:03:26 »

SMD - can you do me a favour, and run your tyres are 28psi all round for 2 or 3 days, and report back. I know others are saying go harder, however, I have a contradictory theory.

I can do this, no problem but tomorrow my boot will be fully loaded so would that have a negative impact on handling with lower pressures?
Probably. Leave it as-is for a day or 2 until you can test with the car as you "normally" use it :y
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #47 on: 10 March 2013, 11:05:45 »

for those interested, just put tyre "name, model and tramline" word and google it..

for every tyre you may find an owner talking about tramlining.. ;D

but high performance tyres "interestingly"  without exception.. ;)
I do hope your not finding SMD's and TheBoys problems with tramlining amusing cem.

all wide tyres tramline less or more.. full stop.. and if you expect something different ,  you will be dissappointed..

and I think you are playing for the tribunes again Chris..
I'm guessing you have never tried Sport Maxx TT on your Omega cem? On a properly set up chassis, pumped to around 30-32 psi, then you will get an idea of stability. And grip, as it happens, as well. And this remains like this from new, all the way to well beyond the legal limit in the UK (1.6mm), come rain or shine. In fact the first thing that alerted me to how worn they were was a high speed rear end aquaplane moment on one of the negative camber sweepers on the A43 about 7 miles from here on Christmas Eve (boy, was it raining).

Or Dunlop Sport 9000. Again, stable until about 3mm (then they absolutely fall off a cliff - more than once I've though something had broken).

Or Conti SC2/3 (generic). I always felt the SC2 had more grip than SC3, so after 1 set of SC3s, always shyed away from them.

As to holding the wheel tighter, thats ridiculous, and shows a lack of understanding of what the problem is. You need to feed in corrections to make the car go straight. If you rigidly held it in one place on a straight piece of road, you'd soon be off the black stuff.

Driving on the motorway (UK motorways have quite wide lanes), you daren't do more than a very quick glance in the mirrors, as you need to be looking at keeping the car in your lane.

Moderate braking, you need room, as the front of the car will squirm violently left to right. In the dry, you can hear the tyres fighting for grip as it does so.

All of this proved to be tyres. 100%. The advantage of 2 Omegas is I can swap wheels, and see where the fault moves.

SC5s are unsuitable for the Omega

I am claiming they don't tram line as well. Why? Because they don't. I've driven it. You have no experience of this tyre on this car. You have not driven it. You have not driven this car on sc5 either I have. Sc5 tram line terribly... Yet your right and everyone else is wrong. Utterly idiotic.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 March 2013, 11:13:30 »

I'm pretty sure in saying, the Omega is the only car I've ever owned (and I've had a fair few over the years) that tramlined.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 March 2013, 11:17:41 »

I think a rant at cem is entirely reasonable frankly!
No its not  :-[

Its not really in the spirit of the forum.

I understand your frustration in a member giving out what is, based on our own personal experiences, "bad advice", and that some members should follow this advice and spend an awful lot of money for something that doesn't work well.

But the solution to that is to point out the flaw in what they are saying, and encourage them to understand why. Not to come across as an aggressive keyboard warrior, and end up in stand-off arguments that will never end.  I would hassen to add that I'm not perfect in this respect  :-[. Far from.

Please ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10 March 2013, 11:20:25 »

I'm pretty sure in saying, the Omega is the only car I've ever owned (and I've had a fair few over the years) that tramlined.
Whilst I've had others than had, I've got to say some Omegas are really prone. Not sure if thats due to weight, design, age (although virtually all bushes on mine are new, poly'd or proven good).

If we could understand why....
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 March 2013, 11:24:13 »

Whilst I've had others than had, I've got to say some Omegas are really prone. Not sure if thats due to weight, design, age (although virtually all bushes on mine are new, poly'd or proven good).

When I use to run the Omega on Michelins, I never seemed to have a problem with tramlining.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10 March 2013, 11:26:08 »

When I use to run the Omega on Michelins, I never seemed to have a problem with tramlining.
Can you remember which Michelin? My Michelin Pilot Sport 2 that TBE had when I bought it were not too bad (until I turned them into motorcycle clown tyres), just had no grip.
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10 March 2013, 11:32:39 »

Can you remember which Michelin? My Michelin Pilot Sport 2 that TBE had when I bought it were not too bad (until I turned them into motorcycle clown tyres), just had no grip.

I know they were pilot's, can't remember if they were sport 2's :-\

Never had a problem with grip, but then I don't drive like you thank god.
I like red cars

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 March 2013, 11:36:35 »

What about top mounts?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 10 March 2013, 11:38:15 »

Hi Entwood , if you get a minute, can you post tyre size, load and speed rating for us...?

Or did I ask you this once before? Forgive my poor memory if so. :-[

Tomorrow do ?? can't be arsed to go out and wave a torch around ... I'm having a beer .... :)
Too right. :)

As requested :)

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
235/45R17 97 Y
Extra Load - max load 730 Kg
Plies : Sidewall 1 x Polyester, Tread 1XPolyester, 2X Steel, 1X Polyamide
Treadwear 300, Traction AA, Temp A

:)

feeutfo

« Reply #56 on: 10 March 2013, 11:55:00 »

Hi Entwood , if you get a minute, can you post tyre size, load and speed rating for us...?

Or did I ask you this once before? Forgive my poor memory if so. :-[

Tomorrow do ?? can't be arsed to go out and wave a torch around ... I'm having a beer .... :)
Too right. :)

As requested :)

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
235/45R17 97 Y
Extra Load - max load 730 Kg
Plies : Sidewall 1 x Polyester, Tread 1XPolyester, 2X Steel, 1X Polyamide
Treadwear 300, Traction AA, Temp A

:)
Thanks Entwood. :y

SMD can you check yours are the same with all those details?

If they are the same, we need to get the car back here again and have another look.

Maybe swap some wheels on to your car from mine and see how yours responds. We will need all day. I want to see what going on. If that's ok?

feeutfo

« Reply #57 on: 10 March 2013, 11:58:12 »

Also, can you confirm tyre pressure gauge is accurate? :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #58 on: 10 March 2013, 12:06:28 »

after some xxx miles depending on your driving style, they will be worn out .. may be not everywhere but will tramline on some roads ..

« Last Edit: 10 March 2013, 12:13:37 by cem »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #59 on: 10 March 2013, 12:08:35 »

To be 100% clear on this, I am claiming that Dunlop Sport Maxx TT on any properly set up Omega I have put them on, have so little tendency to wander offline, you can effectively say they do not tramline.

They will steer away from camber, and will follow ruts. But on normal roads, no tramline. None. Zilch.

Anyone who has driven my car (thats a fair few members) can verify.

dont say I'm picky but even you admit it..  besides,  what keeps you on the road and alive will cause tramlining.. live with it :) :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.