Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy  (Read 13256 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: SC5 tyre review by Mrs TheBoy
« Reply #90 on: 10 March 2013, 16:59:49 »

Was just about to post the same LD. Classic fwd shitbox size ::)

You're right of course Cem, because obviously using spacers to change both the pcd and offset off the wheels on your car won't make the blindest bit of difference to it at all :P , especially if you are running Astra size tyres on it ::)

King tard :-X

I'm well pleased with their handling including tramlining..  I hope you will be with your tyres too :)

05omegav6

« Reply #91 on: 10 March 2013, 17:02:16 »

So what are the exact differences between Entwoods car and SMDs  :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 10 March 2013, 17:06:59 »

I don't know enough to enter the technical side of the argument ... I've given the specs of the tyres and the pressures I run at - which are varied a lot - I always inflate before towing and deflate for solo, and the "half way" figure I used this week was for a laden car doing a lot of higher speed miles.

Other Info that may, or may not, muddy the waters ..

Petrol tank is usually between 1/2 and full... for this last week it was (and still is :) ) full to brim

LPG tank is an 80 ltr one, so holds 64 litres, is run from full to empty most times

Tyres have now done 2,100 miles

Rear Suspension mounts were poly bushed 1,500 miles ago

Front wishbones 15,000 miles ago

Steering Idler 15,000 miles ago

Droplinks 25,000 miles ago

Front shocks/springs have NOT been touched in the 55,000 miles I've had the car

WIM set up 10,000 miles ago

Previous tyres ... TOYO T1's did NOT tramline at all, excellent grip but obviously made for those with money as they only lasted 10,000 miles ... which is why I didn't go for them again !!

Before them Falken 452's ... wore well, very quiet, but all over the road

Before them Avon ZV5 - hated them. End of. Glad they only lasted 11,000

If any ride heights/measurements are required .. shout out and I'll try my best :)

feeutfo

« Reply #93 on: 10 March 2013, 17:17:41 »

Cem, you recommended sc5 to me!

well , if I really did, you deserve the best tyre ;D
Except someone else took the advice.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #94 on: 10 March 2013, 17:21:32 »

correct tyre wrong size :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #95 on: 10 March 2013, 17:22:08 »

So what are the exact differences between Entwoods car and SMDs  :-\
I'm hoping his pressure gauge is wonky.

Could be other faults in the car. Wishbone bush could have failed vary early. Top mounts possible. Loose steering box bolts possible. Play in the box. Could be a number of things, including an oddity with the tyres as well.
I need to drive it myself, then maybe fit my wheels., and see where the fault goes. Swapping wheels is easiest way to discount faults on the car. As we've done before.

feeutfo

« Reply #96 on: 10 March 2013, 17:22:36 »

Not with you. :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 10 March 2013, 17:33:37 »

Not with you. :-\
Neither am I actually... I'm sure that the tests are the benchmark that the advice was given against and they must test all tyres the same size on the same vehicles :-X :-X :-X ::) ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #98 on: 10 March 2013, 17:50:50 »

I think some of you must accept the fact that Omega is not designed as a race car and cant handle the huge sizes..

ok.. I give up.. its a truck and you can use any size you wish :P

05omegav6

« Reply #99 on: 10 March 2013, 17:52:09 »

With regard to the top mounts, once the top plate is removed the bush itself can be checked for cracking and flex by loading the suspension (sixteen stone kneeling on the front bumper should suffice) and watching to see if it changes visibly.

Another check would be to jack the front end, turn the wheel full lock, then drop the car back down. With the top plates removed, mark a continuous line from the remaining bolt relative to the washer beneath it, the bush rubber and the inner wing. Take a pic for reference and turn the wheel to the opposite lock. The lines on the topmounts should be an arc rather than straight. If the line is broken, then the bush is toast :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 10 March 2013, 17:54:39 »

mmmm had a thought ( worrying I know) ... mine failed its MOT on steering play that i certainly had not noticed build up over time ... and took quite a few adjustments to get correct (as 2woody said it would).

I wonder (?) if SMD has a the same problem and not realised ??

Test is, with engine running, very slowly turn the steering wheel whilst watching the front wheel, as soon as the metal moves (NOT the tyre) hold the steering wheel still and place a small piece of masking tape at the twelve o'clock position; release the wheel back to central; repeat in the other direction. Measure the distance between the pieces of masking tape. The maximum allowed is 75mm or its an MOT fail. I was gobsmacked to find mine was nearer 90mm !!!

Now adjusted to what I'm happy with and the play is 55mm. If you over tighten there is no or insufficient "self centering" to the steering. I set mine "tight" (30mm) for the 2nd MOT and it passed, then slackened it off by 1/8 a turn over a period of time, until I was happy.

More mud ?? or some help ?? no idea .. :(

05omegav6

« Reply #101 on: 10 March 2013, 18:03:47 »

I think some of you must accept the fact that Omega is not designed as a race car and cant handle the huge sizes..

ok.. I give up.. its a truck and you can use any size you wish :P

Ignoring hasn't worked  >:(

Not a race car, but still can be made to handle tidily for its size. Set up correctly, with suitable components (including proven tyres), it is quite a formidable fast road car :y

By proven, I mean tried and tested on an Omega B and in appropriate sizes, on wheels accepted by the factory as suitable, whether 15"/16"/17 or 18", with acceptable characteristics regarding wear/noise/grip/feedback/tramlining etc :y

Unless you have direct experience under those conditions, it might be prudent to sit back and take notes.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 10 March 2013, 18:10:39 »

Has either of the two saloons being compared with the same tyres ever been in a bodyshop as a result of an accident in there history?
Just something to consider as to explain different handling quality.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

05omegav6

« Reply #103 on: 10 March 2013, 18:17:41 »

That thought crossed my mind as well :-\

But only direct access to the factory build measurements and a decent jig would confirm the effects, if any, of a knock/repair. A car that is used for regular heavy towing might actually be a different shape to one that has never towed.

I suspect the answer to this riddle will either be some obscure little detail, or blindingly obvious :-\

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #104 on: 10 March 2013, 18:42:54 »

That thought crossed my mind as well :-\

But only direct access to the factory build measurements and a decent jig would confirm the effects, if any, of a knock/repair. A car that is used for regular heavy towing might actually be a different shape to one that has never towed.

I suspect the answer to this riddle will either be some obscure little detail, or blindingly obvious :-\

I bet Entwoods car is a foot longer, the speed he tows at  ::) ;D

But i know where you are all going wrong guys.......my passat doesnt tramline.....and thats got a different make on each corner.....each tyre cancels out any of the other tyres bad characteristics....makes perfect sense to me.....you should try it  :y  ;D :-X 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.