Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre choice for the Omega  (Read 30312 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre choice for the Omega
« Reply #60 on: 06 August 2013, 22:40:32 »

Falken (not sure which type exactly) are regarded as being poor then, That might explain a few things got x2 on the front of the 3.2  :-X ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #61 on: 06 August 2013, 22:54:14 »

Falken (not sure which type exactly) are regarded as being poor then, That might explain a few things got x2 on the front of the 3.2  :-X ;D
It would seem, Afaict, that they are a bit borderline on the omega structurally. At the time I had mine, it appears they only made a 93 load rating max. Which I believe is too low for the omega. If your a bit of a plodder then they may be fine. If your a bit more, ahem, "progressive" in your driving style, they degrade badly to the point of being lethal by half worn.

By lethal, I mean, impossible to keep in lane on a bumpy B road at anything over 40mph, constant correction at the steering wheel, and makes lieing on a water bed seem stable by comparison.

...a situation made worse by soft Elite suspension.

Shit tyres! Avoid. :)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 06 August 2013, 23:08:13 »

It would seem, Afaict, that they are a bit borderline on the omega structurally. At the time I had mine, it appears they only made a 93 load rating max. Which I believe is too low for the omega. If your a bit of a plodder then they may be fine. If your a bit more, ahem, "progressive" in your driving style, they degrade badly to the point of being lethal by half worn.

By lethal, I mean, impossible to keep in lane on a bumpy B road at anything over 40mph, constant correction at the steering wheel, and makes lieing on a water bed seem stable by comparison.

They need replacing soon, Cracking and getting close to borderline legal.. Got a tight budget atm of around £150 for x2 for the front...

Was going to try the Runway performance from blackcircles but I figured out which garage is local and contacted them directly and asked them, They didn't know what I was on about till I mentioned blackcircles.com and then said, Ah yes they are the budget tyres they do.. Then said they recommend a brand called Rapid over them which I haven't heard of before around £61 a tyre if I remember correctly. Mainly because the oldest excuse in the book ther Runways are out of stock,  Anyways they try and stuff the crap and sugarcoat them with gold coloured poo..

Sorry for hijacking the thread with this but didn't think another tyre thread would go down well  :-X ;D..

Can anyone recommend a particular tyre brand that would be around £150 for x2 (ideally less than £150 not more) I could look for and ask around that are reasonably good for the Omega apart from the Runway's.. A long shot but if you don't ask you don't get  :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #63 on: 06 August 2013, 23:22:46 »

They need replacing soon, Cracking and getting close to borderline legal.. Got a tight budget atm of around £150 for x2 for the front...

Was going to try the Runway performance from blackcircles but I figured out which garage is local and contacted them directly and asked them, They didn't know what I was on about till I mentioned blackcircles.com and then said, Ah yes they are the budget tyres they do.. Then said they recommend a brand called Rapid over them which I haven't heard of before around £61 a tyre if I remember correctly. Mainly because the oldest excuse in the book ther Runways are out of stock,  Anyways they try and stuff the crap and sugarcoat them with gold coloured poo..

Sorry for hijacking the thread with this but didn't think another tyre thread would go down well  :-X ;D..

Can anyone recommend a particular tyre brand that would be around £150 for x2 (ideally less than £150 not more) I could look for and ask around that are reasonably good for the Omega apart from the Runway's.. A long shot but if you don't ask you don't get  :y

Accelera Alphas ;)  Good budget tyre
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

chrisgixer

« Reply #64 on: 07 August 2013, 00:09:29 »

AAAAAH would dbug please stop posting stuff I agree with!   >:(

;D

Although, I'm breaking my own rule by doing so, as I have no experience of that tyre.  :-[

But its what I'd do. Pfffff... ::) ;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 07 August 2013, 00:30:25 »

Are they more readily available then ?

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07 August 2013, 01:42:19 »

I'm keeping quiet on this thread now  ;D  :-X

What???

I was going to recommend these wheels but thought better of it

Not really fair on those members on Oof with mobiles, that. I tad smaller at least...?

A picture can be worth a thousand words... ;D
Just so your aware, if posting large pics, its best to do so in a thread with (pic heavy) or similar in the title. That way it doesn't cost people money unnecessarily. :y

My one off tram pic is 26KB. 

Your animated avatar in every post you make (which is a lot) is 25KB
;D ;D ;D.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 01:44:03 by dbdb »

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 07 August 2013, 02:04:54 »

I know the EU is widely hated here but the EU tyre label is one of the best things they have introduced.  Many budget tyres have better wet grip ratings than expensive tyres.  Tyres can now be judged on official test results rather than marketing hype.
I disagree with immense passion.

It means that manufacturers aim to hit 3 areas, 2 of which are entirely pointless, at the expense of everything else.  To emphasise my point, may I present the utter useless, dangerous Continental Sport Contact 5.

If you've never purchased a tyre before or are a complete imbecile, the eu labelling "might" be of use to a buyer. Other than that its utterly useless as the main attributes of a tyre, and hence the handing of the car, is completely ignored, as TB says, in order to satisfy the random musings of an arrogant eu beuroidiot that thinks he/they know better than all the tyre makers put together.

Well as I expected. For people who take these things a bit more seriously, like Goodyear, here is their guide to the EU ratings:
https://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tire-advice/eu-tire-label/
If you do a little research you'll see that the EU label testing is very though and most of all independent of the manufacturer.  Especially as regard wet grip.  If on the other hand you prefer to be spoon fed marketing info and buy fancy labels at inflated prices, go ahead.

It is completely beyond me however why the EU didn't include tramlining as a fourth rating ;D

Just opened my bag of popcorn  ;)

For those interested in the boring but scientifically tested characteristics of tyres and not what the marketing people or some bloke down the forum told you, or some website that collates personal opinions of tyres, here is the wet grip test (which is actually a United Nations standard).  Start at page 49: http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r117rev.2E.pdf

Here's a taster

Test procedure for measuring wet grip
1. General Test Conditions
1.1. Track characteristics
The track shall have a dense asphalt surface with a gradient in any direction
not exceeding 2 per cent. It shall be of uniform age, composition, and wear
and shall be free of loose material or foreign deposits. The maximum
chipping size shall be 10 mm (tolerances permitted from 8 mm to 13 mm)
and the sand depth measured as specified in ASTM standard E 965-96 (2006)
shall be 0.7 ±0.3 mm.
The surface friction value for the wetted track shall be established by one or
other of the following methods:
1.1.1. Standard reference test tyre (SRTT) method
When tested using the SRTT and the method given in paragraph 2.1. the
average peak brake force coefficient (pbfc) shall be between 0.6 and 0.8. The
measured values shall be corrected for the effects of temperature as follows:
pbfc = pbfc (measured) + 0.0035 (t - 20)
where "t" is the wetted track surface temperature in degrees Celsius.
The test shall be conducted using the lanes and length of the track to be used
for the wet grip test;
1.1.2. British pendulum number (BPN) method
The averaged British pendulum number (BPN) of the wetted track, measured
in accordance with the procedure given in the ASTM standard E 303-93
(2008) and using the pad as specified in ASTM standard E 501-08, shall be
between 40 and 60 after temperature correction. Unless temperature
correction recommendations are indicated by the pendulum manufacturer, the
following formula can be used:
BPN = BPN (measured value) + 0.34 · t - 0.0018 · t² - 6.1
In the lanes of the track to be used during the wet grip tests, the BPN shall be
measured at intervals of 10 m along the length of the lanes. The BPN shall be
measured 5 times at each point and the coefficient of variation of the BPN
averages shall not exceed by 10 per cent.

« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 02:13:53 by dbdb »

chrisgixer

« Reply #68 on: 07 August 2013, 09:23:24 »

Christ almighty.

Have you learned nothing on Oof ?

We don't believe anything on here! Nothing! Except first hand experience.

....oh no, wait, of course you've learned nothing. Bloody Jedi's know everything already. ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #69 on: 07 August 2013, 09:35:34 »

I know the EU is widely hated here but the EU tyre label is one of the best things they have introduced.  Many budget tyres have better wet grip ratings than expensive tyres.  Tyres can now be judged on official test results rather than marketing hype.
I disagree with immense passion.

It means that manufacturers aim to hit 3 areas, 2 of which are entirely pointless, at the expense of everything else.  To emphasise my point, may I present the utter useless, dangerous Continental Sport Contact 5.

If you've never purchased a tyre before or are a complete imbecile, the eu labelling "might" be of use to a buyer. Other than that its utterly useless as the main attributes of a tyre, and hence the handing of the car, is completely ignored, as TB says, in order to satisfy the random musings of an arrogant eu beuroidiot that thinks he/they know better than all the tyre makers put together.

Well as I expected. For people who take these things a bit more seriously, like Goodyear, here is their guide to the EU ratings:
https://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tire-advice/eu-tire-label/
If you do a little research you'll see that the EU label testing is very though and most of all independent of the manufacturer.  Especially as regard wet grip.  If on the other hand you prefer to be spoon fed marketing info and buy fancy labels at inflated prices, go ahead.

It is completely beyond me however why the EU didn't include tramlining as a fourth rating ;D

Just opened my bag of popcorn  ;)

For those interested in the boring but scientifically tested characteristics of tyres and not what the marketing people or some bloke down the forum told you, or some website that collates personal opinions of tyres, here is the wet grip test (which is actually a United Nations standard).  Start at page 49: http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r117rev.2E.pdf

Here's a taster

Test procedure for measuring wet grip
1. General Test Conditions
1.1. Track characteristics
The track shall have a dense asphalt surface with a gradient in any direction
not exceeding 2 per cent. It shall be of uniform age, composition, and wear
and shall be free of loose material or foreign deposits. The maximum
chipping size shall be 10 mm (tolerances permitted from 8 mm to 13 mm)
and the sand depth measured as specified in ASTM standard E 965-96 (2006)
shall be 0.7 ±0.3 mm.
The surface friction value for the wetted track shall be established by one or
other of the following methods:
1.1.1. Standard reference test tyre (SRTT) method
When tested using the SRTT and the method given in paragraph 2.1. the
average peak brake force coefficient (pbfc) shall be between 0.6 and 0.8. The
measured values shall be corrected for the effects of temperature as follows:
pbfc = pbfc (measured) + 0.0035 (t - 20)
The test shall be conducted using the lanes and length of the track to be used
for the wet grip test;
1.1.2. British pendulum number (BPN) method
The averaged British pendulum number (BPN) of the wetted track, measured
in accordance with the procedure given in the ASTM standard E 303-93
(2008) and using the pad as specified in ASTM standard E 501-08, shall be
between 40 and 60 after temperature correction. Unless temperature
correction recommendations are indicated by the pendulum manufacturer, the
following formula can be used:
BPN = BPN (measured value) + 0.34 · t - 0.0018 · t² - 6.1
In the lanes of the track to be used during the wet grip tests, the BPN shall be
measured at intervals of 10 m along the length of the lanes. The BPN shall be
measured 5 times at each point and the coefficient of variation of the BPN
averages shall not exceed by 10 per cent.

The test measures seems to be serious really ??? :y

and glad to see finally a meaningful label :)

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 07 August 2013, 10:02:27 »

Christ almighty.

....oh no, wait, of course you've learned nothing. Bloody Jedi's know everything already. ;D

My first hand experience here is a vocal one of two of you just making stuff up and, when caught out, making more stuff up.  Black paint "being the hardest colour to match" was my first experience :o.  Anyone who challenges it gets called argumentative or blasphemed at. Or stalked 8).

Jedi is a valid religion don't knock it ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 10:05:56 by dbdb »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #71 on: 07 August 2013, 11:35:23 »

Christ almighty.

Chris, this tone of speaking really prooves that you have learned nothing.. and without doubt as everyone witnesses you are the #1 official provoker of tyre threads.. >:(

chrisgixer

« Reply #72 on: 07 August 2013, 12:19:00 »

(Oh, sigh), we where doing so well until cirtain members piped up.

No change there then. ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #73 on: 07 August 2013, 12:24:38 »

we where doing so well

No change there then. ::)

yep.. agreed.. until you start provocation as usual..

and seems really no change.. ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 07 August 2013, 12:44:36 »

I've now eaten all the peanuts, but will be back later with some crisps to continue 'enjoying' this thread. ::) ::) ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.