Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Newer cars  (Read 17068 times)

albitz

Re: Newer cars
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2013, 23:50:28 »

Nope. Its a 190 so smallish, engine is 2.5, 5 cylinder, diesel wvo.  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2013, 23:55:26 »

Nope. Its a 190 so smallish, engine is 2.5, 5 cylinder, diesel wvo.  :y
Doesn't weigh much less than the 124 saloon, though the rated output is exactly why the mechanicals are bomb proof, along with anally retentive service schedules :y

albitz

« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2013, 23:58:56 »

Weighs around 1200kg iirc. As you say,its mechanically understressed which is probably why the 207,000 on the clock is no cause for concern according to other owners. I like the old bus tbh. Its got bags of character,although pitifully slow,but Im losing the need for speed these days anyway so its not a problem. :y

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 10 December 2013, 00:03:38 »

If you were that worried about speeding, you'd have bought yourself a W123 200D auto ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 December 2013, 00:59:33 »

The old Mercs are great. Mines fab and also does well on the veggie oil.  :y

To be honest if it wasn't dissolving before my eyes, I'd have probably got rid of The Mig.....  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2013, 08:10:26 »

The Audi view was no surprise, I have always found them arguably the most over rated make out there, unless you get AWD then the handling is pretty poor with an over heavy nose and masses of understeer.

Add to this the demise of the PD 1.9 and its replacement 2.0 diesel being bloody rubbish and it gets no better.

An additional concern is the reliability, check the league tables and they only ever manage middle of the road results.

You do of course get a badge which resembles four overlapping coffee cup stains.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2013, 10:17:31 by Fuse18 »

chrisgixer

« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2013, 08:36:16 »

What would you recommend to TheBoy Mark? I'm intrigued.

There isn't anything ...is there?

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 10 December 2013, 08:39:30 »

(Lexus is300 straight 6 3.0 bit tinsy for him, but it goes, although is it new enough?)
« Last Edit: 10 December 2013, 08:49:05 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 10 December 2013, 08:51:02 »

Re Audi dont forget the multi link suspension nightmare.

On that front wim say they never see Subaru's.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 December 2013, 10:17:58 »

What would you recommend to TheBoy Mark? I'm intrigued.

There isn't anything ...is there?

Thats the problem, modern cars are so dull, there is very little.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 December 2013, 10:18:58 »

Re Audi dont forget the multi link suspension nightmare.

On that front wim say they never see Subaru's.

Thats because the only ones worth having eat gearboxes, transfer boxes and engines so the owners rarely worry about the suspension  ;D  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 December 2013, 10:20:22 »

(Lexus is300 straight 6 3.0 bit tinsy for him, but it goes, although is it new enough?)

But again its an a to b vehicle, a very un-involving drive (which we know TB enjoys), would be ideal for my 100 mile daily commute but much to expensive for that

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 December 2013, 10:43:38 »

Having just gone through a bit of this due to a lorry deciding he wanted my lane and killing my current daily there are a few options.

I was looking for 54-07 vintage around the £3-3.5k that would cost roughly the same to run and insure and to be used as a dialy drive doing 70-90k over 4 years so with around 60-80k on the clock.

The list i came up with was

3ltr X Type

3ltr S Type

ST220 Mondeo (estate)

Signum 2.8V6 turbo (detuned VXR)

Vectra C 2.8 V6 turbo - Elite spec detuned VXR (estate)

BMW 330 or 530

A4/ A6 3ltr

Pisshat 2.8 V6

9-3 2.8 V6 turbo

9-5 2.3 HOT Aero

Quite a lot of choice and after driving a few quite a bit better than the average Omega - not that I'm knocking the Omega of course

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 December 2013, 10:51:14 »

Out of that list the only two that get close (for me) are the S-type and the 530.

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 10 December 2013, 12:17:47 »

But again its an a to b vehicle, a very un-involving drive (which we know TB enjoys), would be ideal for my 100 mile daily commute but much to expensive for that
Mmmwell... Its has ku31 which get your attention quite quickly. It's also an Estate, which amplifies that to give loose rear end, and the rear suspension isn't as controlled as an omega saloon it needs more damping or something as wumps in long sweepers upset it into lift off over stear much quicker than an omega saloon.
 A is300 might be better in that regard I don't know.

BUT. the directional stability and poor road surface feed back is massively improved over an omega. Its rear wheel drive with LSD as standard, has slightly more bhp than a 3.2 and a 5 speed box which makes that extra bhp seem like more than it is. Snow mode is better than omega, limits throttle opening rather stick in third, and the tc is quicker although equally slow to cut in as the omega 3.2.

Stainless exhaust, although they do go eventually, has nice but subtle rasp when you boot it. Silent otherwise. Pop up nav screen can be modded to show all sorts. Grom blutooth interface. For phone and mp3.

Cabin width is (feels) slightly narrower but head room is exactly the same as omega. No, it really is mr Fuse 18. :)

It has an attempt at tip tronic gear change buttons in the steering wheel. Poor but it works ok, not as easy to use as the sport mode button to knock it down a gear to loose a bit of speed, as you have to knock the gear lever side ways to engage sport mode first.

Given TB is looking, is missing a hatchback, which is important where he lives, and expects at the bare minimum an equal level of performance to a 3.2. I present to you...

The Lexus is300 sport cross with nav!

Some toys are missing. But all the essentials are there...Just ignore the awfull tinsy chrome gear knob, I think it just unscrews.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.