Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT Madness  (Read 26058 times)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
MOT Madness
« on: 13 April 2016, 14:42:28 »

Took my miggy for its MOT to halfords and it failed on 9 items. I fixed 5 of them myself and was planning on getting a garage to do the rest.

As the first test was a month ago I took the car to a different test station that was closer to home.

On the second MOT it failed on 16 items. :o :o :o

Some of the original fail items have magically fixed themselves. ::)

I'm really confused and peed off now as I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Here are the fail sheets.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CFCF2657E747879F!3649&authkey=!ANJG25RjCCg1L-A&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CFCF2657E747879F!4357&authkey=!AHuccnvlM3-95fA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: MOT Madness
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2016, 14:49:26 »

Well number 1 Kate, you took to Halfords, and number 2 why spend more money getting tested again at a different Tester.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2016, 14:54:35 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=135358.0

You won't get much, maybe your bus fare home.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2016, 14:56:00 »

Oh, hang on. They want complete ones. Sounds as if half of yours is missing.  :P

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2016, 14:57:13 »

Should I take this miggy to the scrapyard? :-\

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2016, 14:59:27 »

Should I take this miggy to the scrapyard? :-\
Unless you want spend the money repairing it. A garage would charge you more than it would cost you for a half decent omega. Whether you know anyone who can do it for you or not.......... :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2016, 15:02:14 »

Why didn't you just fix or get fixed what was on the first MOT Fail list, take it back and they would have written out a new MOT.

Taking it to Halfords Kate, is a bit like going into KwiK Fxcks and asking them check your Tyres, Brakes and Exhaust System.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2016, 15:30:24 »

Why didn't you just fix or get fixed what was on the first MOT Fail list, take it back and they would have written out a new MOT.

Taking it to Halfords Kate, is a bit like going into KwiK Fxcks and asking them check your Tyres, Brakes and Exhaust System.

But Halfords only failed it on 9 items.

My local garage failed it on 16. :o

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2016, 15:49:55 »

Not sure what to say here  :-\

I think this is a showcase for not swapping and changing cars too often. Get one up to scratch and keep it, much cheaper in the long term.

Taking it to another garage was not a good idea really, you need to take it back to Halfords as they did first MOT. They would have no wriggle room on failing it on further items, as they saw it previously.

Not sure I would use your local garage either, as it's a case of them taking you for a ride or they are used to very new cars. I've never heard of an Omega failing for rear sub-frame bushes, mine on the 2.2 were shot. Original at 15 years old, but never as much as a warning on MOT's - Same can be said for our 3 other Omega's at the time!

You either need to take this all on and fix it yourself, as the cost of a garage to do this would be far too much. Looking at the most recent fail from your local...

1) Brake Pipes, I'd clean this up with a wirebush as often the corrosion is on the surface, then put some grease on them, this should resolve these issues. = £<5
2) Brake Discs, well other MOT said balance issue, so a new set of front discs would be a good investment. = £80 Approx for set of GM's on TC with Pads. (Cheaper ones can be had if wished)
3) Wiper Blades, Easy fix = £10-15
4) Rear Sub-Frame Bush - First I've heard of one failing personally (could be wrong) - Easy fix though = £50 for the pair

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-REAR-CROSS-MEMBER-FRONT-BUSH-/330439576840?hash=item4cefbbcd08

5) Sub Frame Mounting - Wire brush and hammerite time = £10
6) Seat Belt Anchors - Needs closer inspection, is it surface rust? If so same as above applies using the same tin! = £0
7) Anti Roll Bars - Replace the pair, dead easy job = £25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEYLE-Front-Left-Stabiliser-anti-roll-bar-DROP-LINK-ROD-Part-No-616-060-5575-HD-/351180970554?fits=Model%3AOmega+B&hash=item51c4045a3a:g:X4IAAOSwQItUJZxi

To fix it all up, you would need less than £200 notes, could all be done for £150 quite easily.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2016, 16:22:57 »

I thought you had to take the car back for a retest within a certain period, a month is a bit too long, I think.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2016, 16:27:03 »

Two options really, fix all fails listed from local place, drop back for a re-MOT within next two weeks.

Take it back to Halfords, pay for new MOT. See what they fail it on,  :-\

STEMO

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2016, 16:48:08 »

Thanks Tunnie for that excellent and detailed reply. :y

Should I complain to the DVSA about this?

Surely all MOT testers should give the same results. If all the test results are different then what's the point of it all? Surely a component is either faulty or it isn't?

Is it the case that if something has the slightest bit of surface rust then it's a fail?

The rear suspension arm failed the MOT standard last month but this month it's fine?
It's the same for the anti roll bar linkage.

Does this mean that these components are fine now or do they still need to be replaced?

I'm worried that I might get everything fixed and then the poor miggy fails on 16 different items. :o

Maybe I need to have a poll. Fix or scrap! ;D

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2016, 16:49:49 »

Thanks Tunnie for that excellent and detailed reply. :y

Should I complain to the DVSA about this?

Surely all MOT testers should give the same results. If all the test results are different then what's the point of it all? Surely a component is either faulty or it isn't?

Is it the case that if something has the slightest bit of surface rust then it's a fail?

The rear suspension arm failed the MOT standard last month but this month it's fine?
It's the same for the anti roll bar linkage.

Does this mean that these components are fine now or do they still need to be replaced?

I'm worried that I might get everything fixed and then the poor miggy fails on 16 different items. :o

Maybe I need to have a poll. Fix or scrap! ;D
I've already voted.  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2016, 16:51:47 »

Garages often fail cars on small items, to keep their stats up. A certain garage might be due a big failure.  ::)

Personally, the local garage list should be fixed. Although long, it's all straight forward work. Also the key items being replaced such as brake discs and drop links etc, are all good items to invest in which will get used.

Re-present it, at the same place within time frame allowed. They can only re-test what they failed it on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.