Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT Madness  (Read 26067 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: MOT Madness
« Reply #90 on: 14 April 2016, 22:29:08 »

It cost £400 to have the old cills removed, new cills made up, and welded on. .....

Though on the face of it, that's not exactly back pocket change, in the grand scheme of things, that's not too bad considering you could easily spend that sort of money on dealer servicing ...... eg it cost me £265 for a new thermostat fitted to that green French thing of SWMBO's (just one of the failures on this 27500 mile car)

Agreed, and as a "keeper" worth doing .. plus I'll have my money back in 4000 miles (3 months) of motoring ...  :)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #91 on: 14 April 2016, 22:31:34 »

It cost £400 to have the old cills removed, new cills made up, and welded on. .....

Though on the face of it, that's not exactly back pocket change, in the grand scheme of things, that's not too bad considering you could easily spend that sort of money on dealer servicing ...... eg it cost me £265 for a new thermostat fitted to that green French thing of SWMBO's (just one of the failures on this 27500 mile car)

Agreed, though is it worth it on a £500 car - your £265 spent is, I guess, a lot lower % cost of your car's value.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 14 April 2016, 22:35:13 »

Agreed, though is it worth it on a £500 car - your £265 spent is, I guess, a lot lower % cost of your car's value.

Think mine is worth a tad more than that .. quite a large "tad" as well ..  :)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #93 on: 14 April 2016, 22:42:05 »

Think mine is worth a tad more than that .. quite a large "tad" as well ..  :)
Sorry about my estimate - we're talking about £1K?  If you had to spend £400 on rust repairs to sills, there will be rust elsewhere, and there comes a point, I guess, where further rust repair costs just not economic. 

My point above re % cost of repairs against value of car still applicable. ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 14 April 2016, 22:44:48 »

It's a tough call sometimes, depends how much spare cash you have too. Also if you can DIY or not, because if not then that turns the tables.

Also vs the cost of what else you can find with similar running costs, LPG helps here for cause to fix due to it's cheap on fuel. To get same else where you are looking at very, very old diesels.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 14 April 2016, 23:01:39 »

That depends on how you define worth & value ...... cars are worth what people are willing to pay or what they mean to the owner  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 14 April 2016, 23:05:04 »

That depends on how you define worth & value ...... cars are worth what people are willing to pay or what they mean to the owner  :y

Also how do you get accurate value, when I put my 2.2 into webuyanycar, they offered me £50  :-[  :D

So on the face of that, two new rear tyres are worth 3x the value of the car.   ;D ;D

Even normal Autotrader prices, I could at absolute best get £300 for my 2.2? That's about the same, as 4 new tyres. Which I will have done by this time next month.  ;D

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 14 April 2016, 23:09:14 »

Kate, I think we need to ascertain a few things to give you the best advice!

Especially in reference to what vehicle you have next;

1) What is your main demand/need of it?
2) Mileage per month, on average?
3) What is a realistic budget for outright purchase, or a monthly outlay you could afford?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #98 on: 14 April 2016, 23:19:13 »

Also how do you get accurate value, when I put my 2.2 into webuyanycar, they offered me £50  :-[  :D

So on the face of that, two new rear tyres are worth 3x the value of the car.   ;D ;D

Even normal Autotrader prices, I could at absolute best get £300 for my 2.2? That's about the same, as 4 new tyres. Which I will have done by this time next month.  ;D

Yep, but consumeables are consumables, and applicable to any car whatever its worth.  Just put new tyres on SWIMBOs Omega Estate - £250, car worth around £700, but they are consumables, and, until I replace her car (awaiting her choice of similar sized Estate), she needs tyres to get about.  If her car was excessively rusty, then I wouldn't consider spending £400 on it, as advancing rust won't get better, only worse.  At that point her decision would would probably be more forthcoming.

05omegav6

« Reply #99 on: 14 April 2016, 23:33:37 »

Knowing what my two sold for yous have alot to learn about Omega retail prices ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #100 on: 14 April 2016, 23:47:50 »

Don't think so - you just have a lot to learn - what age are you? and still living with your mother - say no more!

aaronjb

« Reply #101 on: 15 April 2016, 09:49:48 »

Jesus that's something of a low blow, there.

05omegav6

« Reply #102 on: 15 April 2016, 10:01:30 »

Don't think so - you just have a lot to learn - what age are you? and still living with your mother - say no more!
???
I wasn't going to bother responding to this, as I believe you to simply be trying to provoke an outburst, perhaps with a view to getting me banned...

Perhaps one day you'll stop being a practising Onanist.

Not that it's anyones business, least of all yours, the main reason I am still living at home is actually due to my mothers gradually failing health. Whilst I freely admit that the dirt cheap rent is nice, living at home actually comes at quite a high personal cost.

So please, judge away if that helps you sleep at night. :-X

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 15 April 2016, 10:26:28 »

Personally if mine were that bad I'd scrap it.Having said that whilst the sills are structurally important they are not a complicated structure to knock up out of suitable thickness plate and as they're covered by the skirts then they don't have to be absolutely perfectly formed unless you're a stickler for correct detail.The major cost would then come in removing/replacing them.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 15 April 2016, 10:39:13 »

Knowing what my two sold for yous have alot to learn about Omega retail prices ;D

Arris, without wanting to big you up..... your recent sales were perhaps a cut above in one way or another. I think a budget of £500 will get something half decent with a long test ticket, even if it does just end up as a pile of rust in a couple of years.  :)
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.