Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Buyers Guide?  (Read 33233 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Buyers Guide?
« Reply #75 on: 01 January 2017, 15:29:51 »

I believe the OP was recommended to drive a few Omegas to get a feel for whats normal, so could do with maybe a little less hostility IMHO.  I certainly drove a few before buying my first one.
That was certainly the thought process behind the suggestion ;) driving a 2.0 dti wasn't  ;D but that said the chassis is the same, so the handling of the car would be similar, even if the power delivery isn't  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 01 January 2017, 15:32:26 »

I believe the OP was recommended to drive a few Omegas to get a feel for whats normal, so could do with maybe a little less hostility IMHO.  I certainly drove a few before buying my first one.
That was certainly the thought process behind the suggestion ;) driving a 2.0 dti wasn't  ;D but that said the chassis is the same, so the handling of the car would be similar, even if the power delivery isn't  ::)
I guess its what was available nearby. 
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 01 January 2017, 15:34:04 »

Like a BMW, you mean?
Even E39s are heading the same way and they're much better made :'( mine has a couple of scrapes on the rear arches, but is rust free... which is a shame, as it has no history and apart from an oil leak and hideous cloth interior, it is a nice car. Looking for an estate one and they're either stupid money or rotten...
« Last Edit: 01 January 2017, 15:37:16 by Doctor Gollum »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 01 January 2017, 15:39:41 »

I guess its what was available nearby.
Probably. Thinking it through, if the dti was that nice, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good choice... as apparently performance isn't the primary requirement iirc

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 01 January 2017, 17:56:00 »

I must say this type of thing doesn't faze me. I have a lot of friends from the classic car scene here........

Fair do's.  :y

At least you have an idea of the places on the bodywork to check for bad points now. A tidy example is still a nice car to float about in. I have a relative that has an extremely tidy FL Omega 2.2 saloon. He goes out in it, comes home, wipes it down and puts it back in his garage. As he uses his van most of the time his Omega sees very little use. I suppose it goes to show that they are out there.  :y
Good luck with the search.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 01 January 2017, 18:55:28 »

Thanks. Appreciated.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 01 January 2017, 18:58:26 »

Make up your mind mate.  :)

You said regardless of engine. Not regardless of engine minus a 2.0 dti. ;D

Pulls ok as in makes a 1.6 Golf feel slow, or opps me, for a two tonne car this shifts?

If the former, then either the multirams aren't working or it's broken, and if the latter then that's fine...

I suspect from your tone, that it's the first one :-\ should rev cleanly to nearly 6K rpm, and should pull like a train through the gears and pull from about 30 kph in top. If it doesn't then any number of things could be wrong with it.

Try as many Omegas as are conveniently local regardless of engine, gearbox age and mileage and you'll get a good grip of the mechanical health... The sorted cars, even 2.2 autos, will stand out from the dogs.

Once you have found a car that fits your instinct, buy it ;)

Obviously allow for all of my earlier post and allow a good margin for subjectivity...

:P

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 01 January 2017, 19:01:41 »

Like a BMW, you mean?

Sure. And Jaguars and the Alfa Giulia. I guess that kind of covers it. Hence why I said plenty of options.  ;)

Alfa Giulia is not really large. More like a BMW 3 and will take a good while till it becomes affordable.

Jaguars XF are becoming affordable. But finding an used one with a manual is not easy. Buying new is no problem as you can order a stick. But again, not affordable for now.

So this leaves BMW. Not plenty at all.  ;D

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 01 January 2017, 19:03:39 »

I must say this type of thing doesn't faze me. I have a lot of friends from the classic car scene here........

Fair do's.  :y

At least you have an idea of the places on the bodywork to check for bad points now. A tidy example is still a nice car to float about in. I have a relative that has an extremely tidy FL Omega 2.2 saloon. He goes out in it, comes home, wipes it down and puts it back in his garage. As he uses his van most of the time his Omega sees very little use. I suppose it goes to show that they are out there.  :y
Good luck with the search.  :y

:y

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 01 January 2017, 19:36:47 »

Hi

I think all Omega problems are described in epic wide somewhere...maybe someone is missing to put all informations together.

But is that really needed?

I bought two Omegas blind via ebay. 300€ for the 98 saloon and 400€ for the 97 estate. The calculation is easy. Do not pay more than some spares are worth. No risk. But you should be able to use a MIG welder, technical problems are peanuts.

Both Omegas are still running with new MOT. The Saloon is sleeping over Winter, the Sedan is doing the winter job. In April I will change.

In springtime I will do some work on Sedan s rear arch right side, left side I did last year, maybe some cosmetics and ready for the next two years...

The Saloon is perfect in body, suspension, brakes, interior and exterior. Engine has a little oil leak (crank seal front) and some noise from the hydros when cold. Peanuts. Will fix it before April.

Happy New Year!

Rolf
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 01 January 2017, 19:43:16 »

Hi

I think all Omega problems are described in epic wide somewhere...maybe someone is missing to put all informations together.

But is that really needed?

I bought two Omegas blind via ebay. 300€ for the 98 saloon and 400€ for the 97 estate. The calculation is easy. Do not pay more than some spares are worth. No risk. But you should be able to use a MIG welder, technical problems are peanuts.

Both Omegas are still running with new MOT. The Saloon is sleeping over Winter, the Sedan is doing the winter job. In April I will change.

In springtime I will do some work on Sedan s rear arch right side, left side I did last year, maybe some cosmetics and ready for the next two years...

The Saloon is perfect in body, suspension, brakes, interior and exterior. Engine has a little oil leak (crank seal front) and some noise from the hydros when cold. Peanuts. Will fix it before April.

Happy New Year!

Rolf

Sure. But cheap ones are normally the run down ones. :)

By the way Rolf, a saloon and a sedan are the same thing. Saloon in the UK, sedan in the U.S. Maybe you mean a saloon and an estate (Kombi)? ;)

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 01 January 2017, 20:10:00 »

Hi anV6

Of course, my mistake, of course Estate....

But cheap ones with 200K up to 250K are not worn out. Give them a proper service, specially front suspension, you will find to drive a new car.

But no one does it. Omegas mainly are in "last hand". A front wheel suspension revision by the Opel dealer will cost much more than the car is worth.

I did it. Spares are cheap and learning how to do is easy.

Of course, Omega enthusiasts are always forced to be fit working with a MIG welder.

Rolf
« Last Edit: 01 January 2017, 20:14:38 by Zirfeld »
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 01 January 2017, 22:19:29 »

Given as how you poopooed my original diesel suggestion as your steadfast determination to have a petrol V6, I didn't feel the need to elaborate...

Clearly I was wrong.

There's a growing concensus that you're nowt but a wind up merchant... expect to be treated as such.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 01 January 2017, 22:56:47 »

Hi anV6

Of course, my mistake, of course Estate....

But cheap ones with 200K up to 250K are not worn out. Give them a proper service, specially front suspension, you will find to drive a new car.

But no one does it. Omegas mainly are in "last hand". A front wheel suspension revision by the Opel dealer will cost much more than the car is worth.

I did it. Spares are cheap and learning how to do is easy.

Of course, Omega enthusiasts are always forced to be fit working with a MIG welder.

Rolf

I see what you mean. I agree. I also get the impression, even in this forum, that Omegas are treated as disposable somehow. Definitely looks that way looking at my local classifieds. Pity.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 01 January 2017, 23:01:53 »

Given as how you poopooed my original diesel suggestion as your steadfast determination to have a petrol V6, I didn't feel the need to elaborate...

Clearly I was wrong.

There's a growing concensus that you're nowt but a wind up merchant... expect to be treated as such.

Like you said, the chassis is the same, so the handling of the car would be similar. Therefore there is still value in it if I can't get petros near by to test.

As for the "consensus", I couldn't care less. I don't need to expect to be treated as such, because I already am treated that way. Yet, I am still here. My skin is tougher than that. Never cared for nay sayers and haters. I filter the good stuff from people who want to help. Ignore the rest.

And I tell you flat out. The consensus is wrong.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.