Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grandads' war records  (Read 1123 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Grandads' war records
« on: 14 March 2014, 23:35:48 »

My Grandfather served in the Royal Naval Air Service during the First World War. We think he was an aircraft mechanic and might have been stationed at Yeovilton, Somerset and was possibly in Belgium at some point, but sadly that's about all we know, as he died in the 1950's when my Mum was a little girl.  :(

What's the best way of finding out what he did and where?  ???  There seems to be a few websites, but I don't want to start paying fees etc.  ::)  I was wondering about the National Archives or The Imperial war Museum?  :-\

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandads' war records
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2014, 00:11:25 »

I got my grandad's (Fathers side of family) war record from the Ancestry website when they had a free day on 11/11 a couple of years ago. My other grandad was a CPO in RN and fought in the Battle of Jutland and was very violent after the war (these days would be classed as PTSD) so he eventually ended up in a mental asylum, that is all I know about him, where I don't even know his name.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2014, 08:20:50 »

I requested my fathers service history from here

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#service-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Cost £30 and I got back about 12 A3 photo copied sheets of his service records, quite interesting stuff about where he was stationed. It will only give administrative information and not any exact locations or military records. But its a start..

I wish I asked him the 'what did you do in the war daddy' question a few more times  :)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2014, 18:06:10 »

My Grandfather served in the Royal Naval Air Service during the First World War. We think he was an aircraft mechanic and might have been stationed at Yeovilton, Somerset and was possibly in Belgium at some point, but sadly that's about all we know, as he died in the 1950's when my Mum was a little girl.  :(

What's the best way of finding out what he did and where?  ???  There seems to be a few websites, but I don't want to start paying fees etc.  ::)  I was wondering about the National Archives or The Imperial war Museum?  :-\

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!!  :y

Soz - late to the party again. Can't add much, except to say he won't have been based at RNAS Yeovilton (HMS Heron) at any time during or shortly after the First World War. Work to construct the airfield didn't start untill 1939. When the land was first comandeered, the locals assumed it was for an inland seaplane base because it was so often flooded.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton do hold a lot of records, but I don't know how to access them. There are also some restrictions on service records limiting access to next of kin. I'd try emailing the FAA Museum, and seeing if they can tell you what they hold, and what proof of identity they would need to release it. It'll be easier if you've got his service number.

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2014, 18:31:58 »

Ancestry.com helped me find my past family members. It found a second cousin that at the tender age of 19 was killed at Passendale, in WW1 then it enabled me to looked into his service records. From this i found out which cemetery he is buried at. Two years ago took a trip to Ypres and paid a visit very moving very emotional but well worth it. Good luck with your search.  :y :y
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2014, 21:03:17 »

Thanks for the info guys!  :y 

Too be honest I havn't havn't done any more about this, so must get off my fat lazy arse and get on with it!!  :-[  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2014, 21:58:27 »

Too be honest I havn't havn't done any more about this, so must get off my fat lazy arse and get on with it!!  :-[  ::)  ;D
Good luck :y my Grandfathers records are sealed until 100 years from his passing out :-\

All we know is that he was present at Yalta, has a memorial at Hiroshima, and had the option to move the entire family to the US at the start of WW2. Oh, and he was on HMS Ark Royal when she was torpedoed...

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2014, 00:25:12 »

Good luck :y my Grandfathers records are sealed until 100 years from his passing out :-\

All we know is that he was present at Yalta, has a memorial at Hiroshima, and had the option to move the entire family to the US at the start of WW2. Oh, and he was on HMS Ark Royal when she was torpedoed...

I'm fairly sure that the 100 year rule only applies to public release through "The National Archives" at Kew. If you can get permission from the legal next of kin, then they should release most stuff to you. There are exceptions though, if for instance, your relative was involved in something that is still secret, or may embarras someone still alive. I know Army and Army Air Corps records are available to relatives through the relavent regimental archives because I've got my Grandads. The RAF Museum at Hendon also hold quite a lot of RAF records.

They did start releasing some WW2 documents in the late 70's under the 40 year rule. This was swiftly stopped when it was realised that some of the information in it was, shall we say, contentious. Hence the 100 year rule, when everybody directly involved will have passed away. 

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2014, 03:56:53 »

Three of his five daughters all asked to no avail :-\ still, only 30 years to go ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.