Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for the wood / metal workers amongst you  (Read 919 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Question for the wood / metal workers amongst you
« on: 19 November 2019, 09:44:30 »

So, I've been to Aldi again...  ;D

They currently have these clamps in stock along with two small ones in a pack for £4.99. They're one of those things that I only need occasionally, but when I don't have them to hand, jobs can be a real b!tch. I am looking to modify these with some longer bar (say 750 -900mm) to make a cheap version of these. I don't need the extra clamping force of the Irwins as I have two sash clamps if I really need to hold something tight.

I realise I could just buy the Irwins, but for clamping boxes / drawers I could really do with four as a minimum, so for the sake of an hour's work, I'd rather spend £20-30 on clamps rather than close to £100. Especially as they will only be used a hand full of times each year.

So, my question... The metal I want to replace is flat bar with a 5mm x 20mm profile. Will mild steel work for this, or will something more rigid be required? The existing bars don't flex at all with just hand pressure over a 300mm length which makes me think they might be something tougher than mild steel   ???

aaronjb

Re: Question for the wood / metal workers amongst you
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2019, 10:06:04 »

The bar will be primarily in tension with only a little twisting motion across the 20mm dimension .. 5mm mild steel bar ought to work fine, I'd have thought

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2019, 10:41:19 »

Four short lengths of L shaped aluminium and a pair of narrow ratchet straps...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2019, 12:11:07 »

Mild steel will be more than good enough.

I've a collection of G-cramps(most of them Record) rescued from bins because the rotating foot was missing. That's about 5minutes work and a few pence worth of steel to fix.

Have you asked around for used ones?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2019, 15:49:46 »

Thanks all,

Nick: I have asked about, but from a family side, my dad is still a keen woodworker so he's claimed what was going spare and most of my friends are either actual/wannabe DIY'ers who use their own, or are of the 'snowflake millenial' persuasion like me who wouldn't know what one was if you hit them over the head with it!  ;)

Having phoned a local steel stockist that's on my way home, I think I'm looking at around £5.75 total cost per clamp. Which I am happy to pay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.