Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a phone while driving is worse than driving with 80mg/ml alcohol  (Read 6787 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile

Using a phone is worse than driving with 80mg/ml alcohol
  • … drivers had significantly poorer speed control when using the Hand-held phone than during the other three conditions [including driving with 80 mg/100ml].
  • Reaction times were significantly slower for drivers using phones in comparison to when they had alcohol. 
  • Results showed a tendency for drivers to slow down when talking on Hand-held or Hands-free phones, even when they were specifically instructed to maintain a set speed. [unable to follow instructions] .
  • … drivers missed significantly more warnings when they were using a phone.
  • There was [sic] also significantly fewer warnings missed by the drivers when they were on alcohol in comparison to when they were using the Hands-free phones. [ie even hands free is worse than driving with 80mg/100ml alcohol]
  • The phone drivers were also responding to the wrong warnings more often than the alcohol drivers (false alarms).
  • From the subjective mental effort ratings participants made immediately after driving each route, it was clear that they found driving while using a Hand-held phone to be the most difficult.
  • … certain aspects of driving performance are impaired more by using a phone than by having a blood alcohol level at the legal limit (80mg/ 100ml)
Driving with 80mg/ml alcohol is worse than using a phone
  • ... drivers drove faster than normal when under the influence of alcohol. [and unable to follow instructions]
  • When drivers were under the influence of alcohol, they were significantly worse at driving smoothly (standard deviation of lane position) than during the other three conditions.
It is concluded that driving behaviour while talking on a phone is not only worse than normal driving, it can also be described as dangerous.

Although using phones while driving ... can be considered as irresponsible and dangerous, this behaviour is common. Drivers need to be strongly discouraged from engaging in any phone use while behind the wheel.

I fail to see why that is "13ollocks" but perhaps Andy B will join the discussion and tell us why he believes it is "13ollocks"

Sorry John ha-ha, but I have to add my two pennies worth on this one.

If that report was true to life, all the police officers that I know who have to constantly use phone and radio comms when on normal road patrol duties, let alone on blue's and two's, driving at speed, would be constantly crashing due to being "under the influence" of something akin to having had a few pints. Also the Advanced traffic officers who are trained to tactical pursuit level, using comms whilst driving at very high speeds, would certainly be having a constant stream of crashes if that report was true.

No, it is all down to the ability of the driver and their application to the practice of driving whilst being able to concentrate on that skill whilst handling all other mental distractions, such as making and taking hands free comms. All kinds of factors come into that equation, such as age, driving experience, driving application, mental capacity, spacial awareness, and quality of training. Some drivers should never be on the road due to their lack of coordination and their slow reaction speeds , whilst others are gifted, highly trained, with excellent driving disciplines and can well cope with any distractions that come their way.

To use the reports as a blanket judgement that using phones is as dangerous as driving whilst "under the influence" is just plain stupid and wrong.  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

To use the reports as a blanket judgement that using phones is as dangerous as driving whilst "under the influence" is just plain stupid and wrong. 13ollocks  ;)

FTFY  ::) ::) ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

We haven't yet mentioned F1 drivers talking over the radio at 200mph +. Maybe for novelty value they should ban the radios and force them all to drink 5 pints of lager before the start of each race.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

That will opps up the overtaking a bit :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile

Regardless of what the report says, my phone stays in my pocket when I'm driving. I've had hands free kits, I don't even both installing them anymore.

The reason for this was when I was working as an IT Consultant, I used to get calls from a colleague asking me quite technical questions about something I may have done months ago. I found my driving dropped below what I would call an acceptable threshold.

For that reason, I stopped answering the phone. Nothing in my life is that important that it can't wait until I've finished my journey, or if it is that important, I will pull over and have the conversation.

We all know alcohol has a detrimental effect on driving. It doesn't need a report.

To summarise, both mean your concentration and abilities are less than they could be. Why split hairs over which is worse? It's like arguing it's better to be burnt to death rather than drowning to death. The result is same.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile

That will opps up the overtaking a bit :D
I don't think Vettel needs anymore excuses  :-X
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

STEMO

Regardless of what the report says, my phone stays in my pocket when I'm driving. I've had hands free kits, I don't even both installing them anymore.

The reason for this was when I was working as an IT Consultant, I used to get calls from a colleague asking me quite technical questions about something I may have done months ago. I found my driving dropped below what I would call an acceptable threshold.

For that reason, I stopped answering the phone. Nothing in my life is that important that it can't wait until I've finished my journey, or if it is that important, I will pull over and have the conversation.

We all know alcohol has a detrimental effect on driving. It doesn't need a report.

To summarise, both mean your concentration and abilities are less than they could be. Why split hairs over which is worse? It's like arguing it's better to be burnt to death rather than drowning to death. The result is same.
Drowning for me, please.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile

At last a sensible comment.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

We haven't yet mentioned F1 drivers talking over the radio at 200mph +. Maybe for novelty value they should ban the radios and force them all to drink 5 pints of lager before the start of each race.

Not to mention adjusting engine modes,brake bias etc  all at high speed
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

Watching police shows It always amazes me how many police drivers are giving it the Oscar Zero Delta routine on the radio pinned to their uniform whilst charging down some offender at full pelt , yet are happy to give points and fines to someone parked at traffic lights doing no harm , pot kettle black ? 

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile

Watching police shows It always amazes me how many police drivers are giving it the Oscar Zero Delta routine on the radio pinned to their uniform whilst charging down some offender at full pelt , yet are happy to give points and fines to someone parked at traffic lights doing no harm , pot kettle black ?

Here we go again 😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

aaronjb

Not to mention adjusting engine modes,brake bias etc  all at high speed

There is a difference - I mean, beyond the fact that these people tend to have reaction times that would make most of us look like Grandma - in that all the "traffic" is doing the same thing; travelling the same direction, following the racing line, generally behaving predictably..

Where on the roads you're faced with oncoming traffic, and unpredictable people driving like they might as well have had 12 pints, after a few joints and a couple of lines of coke for a "pick me up" ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

You haven't watched Vettel or Grosjean driving recently then ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

You haven't watched Vettel or Grosjean driving recently then ?

;D ;D I watched an interview spot with Ricciardo yesterday - he was pulling apart various racing movies.. anyway, he's talking about one movie and says "You wouldn't lose the car in a straight line".

In the comments, someone posts:
Danny Ric: “You wouldn’t lose the car in a straight line”
Romain Grosjean: “.....”  ;D ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

Grosjean on his good days is as quick as anyone out there, but he seems to have a problem with concentration or intelligence where he does the most stupid things possible for no apparent reason.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.