Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Injured Uk Soldier Refused Hotel Room  (Read 4002 times)

Grumpy

• Manchester
    • View Profile
Injured Uk Soldier Refused Hotel Room
« on: 04 September 2008, 12:58:53 »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Injured Uk Soldier Refused Hotel Room
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2008, 13:02:33 »

This story is getting a lot of airing on various military forums - Arrse, e-goat, PPrune and I believe has been on both local and national radio.

The management of the hotel and the controlling chain seem to be getting an inordinate amount of e-mails, bookings & cancellations, etc etc.

They deserve everything they get ... I just hope the facts as reported are true .. if not there could be a lot of folks wearing an egg like look .. :(

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2008, 13:03:59 »

Owned by americans - says it all really, but there goes all their credibility with the nation.

jimmas

• stevenage, herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2008, 13:06:15 »

That just about sums up some of the attitude in this country at the moment, totally disgusting.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2008, 13:08:50 »

Owned by americans - says it all really, but there goes all their credibility with the nation.

Apparently although the holding company is called "American Amusements Ltd" it is a UK registered business.

It operates under the "bigapple" name http://www.thebigapple.co.uk/index.php and tries to specalise in american type amusements. AFAIK it has no links to any American company

« Last Edit: 04 September 2008, 13:13:58 by entwood »

HolyCount

« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2008, 13:34:15 »

Words fail me too ... only because if I said what I thought about this the word filter would go into meltdown !!!!! >:( >:( >:(

rikki_essex

• essex
    • 2L gls estate with lpg 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2008, 13:37:42 »

its all ways the same
regards Rik

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2008, 14:46:03 »

Firstly - it's important to remember we only know the facts as reported by the media - (which must always be treated with a pinch of salt!).

Although I agree clearly morally wrong to refuse entry to military personnel, the hotel isn't actually breaking any laws by turning away a potential client. Many hotels have such policies, eg, no stag do's, no groups of footballers / football supporters, so on and so forth - and sometimes this includes no squaddies - purely from the establishments past bad experiences.  While this may seem (and be) unfair to the majority of good people, the sad fact is sometimes such a blanket possibility can be necessary in order to safeguard their premises and other customers.

I also wonder why he showed a military ID card to the hotel staff, instead of a driving licence or passport? I guess military (unlike police)ID cards are Home Office approved forms of Identification so nothing wrong with using it in that respect - but sometimes holders of such ID's try and use them for personal gain, eg discounts which does, on occasion, backfire.

Without knowing the facts from the horses mouth so to speak, I'm not going to form a solid opinion based on media coverage alone, so I'll keep an open mind :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2008, 14:55:36 »

Madness. Why should he be treated differently to anybody else. :-/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2008, 15:06:09 »

Firstly - it's important to remember we only know the facts as reported by the media - (which must always be treated with a pinch of salt!).

Although I agree clearly morally wrong to refuse entry to military personnel, the hotel isn't actually breaking any laws by turning away a potential client. Many hotels have such policies, eg, no stag do's, no groups of footballers / football supporters, so on and so forth - and sometimes this includes no squaddies - purely from the establishments past bad experiences.  While this may seem (and be) unfair to the majority of good people, the sad fact is sometimes such a blanket possibility can be necessary in order to safeguard their premises and other customers.

I also wonder why he showed a military ID card to the hotel staff, instead of a driving licence or passport? I guess military (unlike police)ID cards are Home Office approved forms of Identification so nothing wrong with using it in that respect - but sometimes holders of such ID's try and use them for personal gain, eg discounts which does, on occasion, backfire.

Without knowing the facts from the horses mouth so to speak, I'm not going to form a solid opinion based on media coverage alone, so I'll keep an open mind :y

Whilst I accept what you say generally, I will dispute the ID matter ... how many British Citizens carry their passport with them at all times in the UK ?? I certainly don't !! As a Serviceman it is second nature that when asked for ID - which happens a lot as you enter restricted areas - to reach for your Mil ID card .. again . if I'm ever asked for ID anywhere its automatic to show my F1250 (RAF ID Card) .. I never think about digging out a driving licence.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2008, 15:25:04 »

Whilst I accept what you say generally, I will dispute the ID matter ... how many British Citizens carry their passport with them at all times in the UK ?? I certainly don't !! As a Serviceman it is second nature that when asked for ID - which happens a lot as you enter restricted areas - to reach for your Mil ID card .. again . if I'm ever asked for ID anywhere its automatic to show my F1250 (RAF ID Card) .. I never think about digging out a driving licence.

Yep - I don't disagree with you. As I mentioned, for military their ID card is acceptable ID for them. Didn't realise it was so commonly used though, so fair point :y

HolyCount

« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2008, 15:49:33 »

As you say, force of habit and not carrying any other ID acceptable to the establishment concerned.
I NEVER carry my drivers licence (still the old A4 folded and disintegrating pink jobbie!) and if asked for ID have only my "official" card to show.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2008, 15:50:42 »

As you say, force of habit and not carrying any other ID acceptable to the establishment concerned.
I NEVER carry my drivers licence (still the old A4 folded and disintegrating pink jobbie!) and if asked for ID have only my "official" card to show.

Count - is the official card you hold a military one, or otherwise?

HolyCount

« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2008, 15:55:17 »

Otherwise, James  ;)  In the day, though, I must admit I used my warrant card as general ID too  :-[  Very handy on the buses and trains -- do Plod still get free transport ???

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2008, 15:58:18 »

Otherwise, James  ;)  In the day, though, I must admit I used my warrant card as general ID too  :-[  Very handy on the buses and trains -- do Plod still get free transport ???

We have recently been told that our warrant cards are actually no longer considered by the home office to be formal "ID" to identify ourselves as person... (eg, when in a bank, so on) - they are only to be used to identify ourselves as.... what we are, when acting in the capacity of our roles ;)

In terms of free travel, Met PCs still get unlimited tube/bus, DLR, but NOT National rail. Otherwise it's Force specific - we get free countywide bus travel, but any other travel expenses, incl petrol, must be claimed on a lenghty form...  

Edited to add - a few Met PC's have recently been disciplined and investigated, for "briefing it" in order to get free personal travel when off duty!

« Last Edit: 04 September 2008, 16:00:19 by JamesV6CDX »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.