Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Net Zero  (Read 8880 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Net Zero
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2019, 12:54:19 »

In 2050, we'll be 97, Lizzie. No reason why we shouldn't be here.
Probably still on the forum, listening to Tigger going on about his paltry old age pension.

The more I think about all that Steve the more I think "get me out of here!!" :o :o ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2019, 13:08:13 »

I was in Sainsbury's the other day and, as I normally do, got talking to members of staff.

The conversation turned to the subject of plastic waste and the products all around the store that are covered in the stuff that ends up in our bins. It is bad for the environment and bad for Sainsbury's and their like if they do not address THE issue that is now subject to much public scrutiny.

I was delighted when the member of staff confirmed that they had been involved in a large meeting within the store and informed that Sainsbury's were going to remove all products from their range that had unnecessary plastic lids, like yoghurt pots, that were packaged with any other plastic that could be replaced with recyclable material, and the plastic bags currently used by customers to package loose goods, like fruit and veg, would be replaced with paper ones, as we used to know.

I asked if there had been any thoughts on following on from the Waitrose test, currently being tried in one of their stores, to offer many goods, like cereals, in bulk loose form so that customers used their own containers. That had not been discussed with the staff, so I suspect that Sainsbury's bosses, like those in other such retail companies are awaiting the results of the Waitrose test.

So, yes, maybe we are going in the right direction at last! :y
« Last Edit: 14 June 2019, 13:10:07 by Lizzie Zoom »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2019, 15:07:49 »

Caught a bit of a report yesterday that by 2040[or was it 2050?]that a large percentage of the "meat"on sale won't be meat at all but will be plant based in order to cut down on methane emissions.That may or may not be all very well but if there is no demand for beef[other meats available]then no one will rear beef cattle and the species then would become extinct,dairy cattle could also go the same route as milk can be produced from Soya so no need for dairy cattle and this could expand to other breeds.
A world without cows, how would we cope?  ::)
Mother-in-law free world, happy days

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2019, 18:54:48 »

Morrisons now do re-usable[as long as you don't put any frozen/damp stuff in them in which case they do what paper does and become a soggy mess] paper carrier bags which are very small when compared to an "ordinary"carrier bag and cost 20p each as opposed to the 10p plastic ones they used to sell.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2019, 19:12:12 »

If it led to the extinction of cows[worst case scenario I know] would we then move onto pigs/sheep/goats in the name of methane emmisions/climate change?Then what? Just think of all the methane emitted by the ever growing population of the human species-TBs cull in full flow?

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2019, 19:50:31 »

If it led to the extinction of cows[worst case scenario I know] would we then move onto pigs/sheep/goats in the name of methane emmisions/climate change?Then what? Just think of all the methane emitted by the ever growing population of the human species-TBs cull in full flow?
I think we'd be ok as long as we banned curry.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2019, 20:18:13 »

Just go on to eating locusts and their like Baza! ::) ;D ;D ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2019, 20:19:45 »

I think we'd be ok as long as we banned curry.

A place without curry or fuel for my V8 I'd sooner be dead & probably will be so as the phrase goes couldn't give a flying f**k about all this bullshit from (educated idiots) politicians.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2019, 23:30:37 »

Theresa May has committed the UK to net zero carbon emissions by 2050 at an estimated (Philip Hammond) and uncosted price tag of a trillion pounds! (£1,000,000,000,000,000,000)  :o 

A Trillion now is now defined as a US trillion hence is only 1 000 000 000 000 these days  ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+trillion&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB804GB804&oq=define+trillion&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8752j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2019, 23:32:52 »

.... and while all others are trying to get shut of plastic, Heinz can't make enough Snap-pot Beanz  ???

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2019, 08:30:28 »

They can ban curry as soon as they like,I'd have to be truly starving to death with no other alternative available before I'd eat that crap.Must admit Lizzie locust is one of the culinary delights that's so far passed me by.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2019, 11:12:14 »

The absolute stupidity of virtually all humans & the triumph of political control & propaganda. Except for one or two on here it fascinating to watch the sheeple at work taking in every 1984-est climate change, emergency or what ever this week's in propaganda word is, using the easiest to brainwash, which are children, as their frontline troops and also as Stalin's told us "They will believe every lie if you repeat it often enough" and virtually all of you on here certainly do.

The quickest way to exterminate life on Earth is carry on with the decline of CO2 until the most welcome current correction is snuffed out. CO2 is not a pollutant but a clear, odourless gas and absolutely essential for all multicellular life. Insufficient amounts of it <120ppm and C3 plants can't grow.

This is why:

140 million years a go CO2 was 3000 ppm and multicellular life had been exploding in variety & quantity during the 4000ppm CO2 preceding Jurassic period. The earth was warmer with no ice poles and sea levels were higher. Two key parts of this are our complete dependence on plants: All multi-cellular life depend on them directly or indirectly for energy & nutrients. Without them Earth's multicellular life is over.

The explosion of plants included the evolution of trees and at that time there was no bacteria or fungus that could breakdown wood so as they died they ended up buried in the ground covered by new layers of sedimentary rock and heat & pressure turned them into seams of coal locking in their carbon.

Sea creatures as part of their defences created hard shells which contains carbon as they died locking in further carbon which over time, heat and pressure created calcium carbonate or chalk. The carbon based creatures as they decomposed produced methane (natural gas) and hydrocarbon residues (oil) which were locked into the earth by further layers of sedimentary rock. Please note: That coal, natural gas & oil are all produced through natural processes and are a natural resource.

The sea acts as a massive CO2 sink. During cold periods if contains more compared to warm periods, so the atmosphere contains more CO2 as it warms up and is released from the sea. This is a lagging process, so doomsday thermal runaway predictions, should never be viewed with anymore creditibily that children's bedtime fables.

We are still in an interglacial period with temperatures about 2oC below the last billion year average as we continue to recover from the last ice age. Part of this has been a constant 1mm rise per year in sea levels and this has not changed. Areas like Scandinavia are still rising from the loss of glacial weight, which had pressed down on them during the last ice age, the same applies to Scotland.

What we get from the climate cycles are also carbon cycles and a double whammy during cold periods of less heat and CO2 where plants need both for photosynthesis, along with water which means that grow much more slowly, if at all. This hit an all time low of 150ppm during the last ice age, just above 120 ppm at which C3 plants start getting into trouble surviving.

If this decrease in CO2 continues then the earth is barren within 2 million years, with multicellular life extinct. Then the heroes arrived, humans and started burning wood & later coal, oil & gas, releasing the carbon as CO2 so life won't end after all, until the current 20th-21st century stupid people & politicians did as well and they are backing the extinction route. >:( >:( >:(

PS: Politicians don't want you to know this as they can't have absolute control over your lifestyles, punitive tax rates & their personal enrichment. So please keep believing suckers, but don't expect history to treat you well. :P ;) ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 June 2019, 13:02:34 »

Rods2, I have been saying much the same for decades, having learned all that at school, but like you, I am amazed how politicians manage to spin their lies and idiots are gullible enough to believe them.
As you say, it is in order to make us compliant and "willing" to pay for our sins in higher taxation.

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 June 2019, 14:34:52 »

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has bothered to look at the UN report I linked  to.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 June 2019, 14:39:46 »

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has bothered to look at the UN report I linked  to.  ::)
Which bit? The date or the content? ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.