Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windscreen replacement - what is involved?  (Read 1277 times)

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
Windscreen replacement - what is involved?
« on: 12 December 2019, 14:19:04 »

Given that nothing here goes quite according to plan; what is the norm for a windscreen change ?

Is it all done from the 'outside', leaving scuttle in place etc. (not that mine is back on yet).
Am I right in thinking it is a bonded screen and the big seal is simply to keep the water out of the surrounding metalwork.

Do the companies change seals or not, wreck seals, charge for them if found less than perfect ?
In reality, are any of the bigger (insurance) fitters better than any others (if I could get a choice) ?

Am I in for a world of pain or will I be peasantly surprised (if lighter in the wallet under for the glass excess).

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreen replacement - what is involved?
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2019, 14:44:50 »

Bonded in, supposed to use new trims but fitter won't have them. Scuttle stays in place, A post / lower metalwork likely to be rusty.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2019, 10:26:17 »

If you can, I would suggest getting a genuine VX screen rather than an aftermarket one. There are two types, heat absorbing and heat reflecting which has a blue tinge to it, but the code will be on the lower nearside corner.
As with most rubber seals, they can deform permanently over time, so I would fit new upper and lower seals - not sure whether they are still available from VX but you know they'll fit.
The issue I had with an aftermarket screen was that no matter how it was positioned in the aperture, it sat high in one corner as the profile of the glass wasn't 100%, which in turn results in the upper rubber sitting high leaving a gap between the body and seal.
It all depends on whether the windscreen company can supply them and / or VX still show them as available. Plus how good the fitter is!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2019, 13:00:07 »

Thanks. 
Could be after Christmas now, we'll see.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/myiAYa6AQR3cJc5F9

I'll ask them for the same (if available) then there'll be no insurance arguing.
Which screen is 43R-00171, heat absorbing or reflecting ?
Mine has a very slight tinge to it (glasss marked 75% min) but it is really subtle and has a blue sun strip across the top which seems to work really well.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2019, 16:48:21 »

GF is the code on all my Omegas irrespective of whether or not they have a rain sensor or CDX or Elite models.
Most cars have heat absorbing screens - heat reflective are easily identifiable as they have a blue / silver sheen to them looking from the outside like poser sunglasses, and in my opinion look terrible. I have an Elite with a reflective screen fitted, but I wouldnt have another, just from an appearance point of view.
Heat absorbing without rain sensor - 90457721
Heat absorbing with rain sensor - 24433003
Heat reflecting without rain sensor - 9146283
Heat reflecting with rain sensor - 24433002
Upper rubber moulding - 90460335
Lower rubber moulding - 9175100
The original seat (90460334) that clips around the screen is not available now (for the rubber to sit in), so the alternative part numbers are -
Upper 90493424
Lower 90460336
Right  90493426
Left    90493425

I last bought a set in early 2017 - although the RH and LH retainers were then only stocked in Germany. Your VX dealer will ge able to advise on availability now, but make sure they search out of the UK if not shown available here, as some find this 'too hard to do', or don't actually know how to search other than stock in the UK.

A screen that I bought approx 12+ years ago, came with the whole retainer / seat (90460334) already attached, but now they are supplied (assuming still available) in separate pieces.

Hope that helps.

2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2019, 21:56:03 »

It does, thanks.

I asked about the above availabilty (and cost  :o ), except those with rain the sensor as I'm not fitting that extra, and only the two screens are available first port of call and in Germany at that.

I think I'll be farming it out directly to the insurance cover now and they'll fit what the have.  Even a local(ish) main vx dealer said they use a third party fitter for their replacements (didn't know/say they used vx glass) and gave me their number.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.