Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fault Code 19 and 73  (Read 2113 times)

Gintonic

• Macedonia
    • Omega B FL, 3.0 manual
    • View Profile
Fault Code 19 and 73
« on: 15 December 2019, 19:30:53 »

Good evening
As a good petrolhead, last Saturday night stayed home with my two and a half cars in  my so called garage,
With nothing smarter to do and one hour left to ,, flipping bangers,, on tv, I deccided to do paper clip test  on the omega ( v6 3.0 manual)
Last night there was only one fault present , 19 ( incorrect rpm signal )
Today , one more fault , 73  ( MAF sensor low voltage)
Car has regular problem with fuel lines , i havent solved it yet , runs very rough on petrol but when on lpg it runs ok.
Are these two faults somehow connected
Thank you

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Fault Code 19 and 73
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2019, 21:14:07 »

Your crankshaft sensor seems to have thrown a fault. Regardless of fuel type engine RPM is engine RPM. Some crank sensors fail gradually and you find you stall at the traffic lights or roundabout yields. And some fail suddenly and will leave you stranded.

31 - No Engine RPM Signal = standard for 2.5/3.0 V6 with ignition on but not running.
19 - Incorrect RPM Signal = crank signal = RPM = crank sensor faulty.

Break and make the MAF sensor connector and see is the 73  fault still present? But I imagine you first need to replace  the crank sensor.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2019, 21:22:50 by Enceladus »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2019, 11:25:44 »

73 often appears when 19 is about, its indicating that the reported rpm is not in line with the mass of air entering (because the engine rpm is not being accurately reported).

As for poor running on Petrol, I bet your LPG system is out of tune, the block learns (fuel adaptions) have moved to correct the poor LPG tune and hence when it runs short term on Petrol, it struggles

Gintonic

• Macedonia
    • Omega B FL, 3.0 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2019, 17:27:57 »

Can't tell really, it is out of tune I guess, since it burns a lot of lpg, too much, like 20 ltrs on 100 km. On other side, engine runs very smooth when on lpg.
Sometimes starts fine on petrol, with high revs, sometimes starts very bad, with something like missfire and low power
I haven't checked the purge valve yet.
But, fuse 19, your prediction sounds very logical, how do I fix that. Must fix the the lpg, will that sort the problem?
Is there anyone on OOF that's using MIMGAS LPG system on a V6?
« Last Edit: 17 December 2019, 17:38:07 by Gintonic »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2019, 17:42:14 »

Can't tell really, it is out of tune I guess, since it burns a lot of lpg, too much, like 20 ltrs on 100 km. On other side, engine runs very smooth when on lpg.
Sometimes starts fine on petrol, with high revs, sometimes starts very bad, with something like missfire and low power
I haven't checked the purge valve yet.
But, fuse 19, your prediction sounds very logical, how do I fix that. Must fix the the lpg, will that sort the problem?

I'm nowhere near as clever as Fuse19 ..but "if" you think the lpg is out of tune, and it appears it is and is throwing the petrol out as well, the best thing to do (and it's how I attacked my LPG problems) is to simply 1) reset all trims 2) turn off lpg and go "petrol only" for a while, at least 100 kms,  then see if the petrol side "sorts itself out" .. if it does .. great, if it doesn't, then find and fix the PETROL faults first. Once the petrol side runs well, then go to LPG and sort that out.

Reason for that approach is the LPG ECU "piggy backs" the PETROL ECU .. if the petrol side is wrong, the LPG side will never be right.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2019, 17:46:00 »

Change the crank sensor (with a genuine one from a dealer - pattern ones are often problematic), that will get rid of the 19 and 73.  Get it running well on petrol for a tank or 2 to get Partial Load trims back to around 127, then retry LPG.
Grumpy old man

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2019, 03:48:41 »

The crank sensor for Omega V6 are special order only from Germany via a Vauxhall dealer. 7-10 days delivery, cost around a £100, payment up-front and no returns. That's assuming you have a friendly local Vauxhall dealer that still does parts, knows what a GM 'special order' is and is willing to place it. Apparently some don't and/or won't.

At the end of the day you will receive the standard Bosch part, however 'Made in Romania'. Nothing wrong with them. The factory fit 'Made in Germany' parts dried up years ago.

So I would look for a genuine Bosch part. There's one here @£40.82 from the UK. Or here's another @ £38.

There are three different versions pf crank sensor on V6. As a later 3.0 yours is almost certainly fitted with GM part #90540743 which was supplied by Bosch and the part number is 0261210131 aka 0 261 210 131. The Bosch part number will be embossed on the head of your original factory sensor as will a small Bosch logo, assuming it still the original which would be unusual after nearly 20 years. Ideally you should remove the sensor and check. Or take a photo from the wheel arch using macro made and you might be able to read the markings on a computer screen. Some original factory sensors also have the GM part number embossed or screen printed.

Incidentally Cadillac parts, if you can find one, are AC Delco branded but contain the same Bosch part.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2019, 17:20:41 »

At the end of the day you will receive the standard Bosch part, however 'Made in Romania'. Nothing wrong with them. The factory fit 'Made in Germany' parts dried up years ago.

So I would look for a genuine Bosch part. There's one here @£40.82 from the UK. Or here's another @ £38.
Time and time and time again members have bought "supposedly" genuine Bosch sensors at discount and had issues, hence the standard response has to be from the place where we have seen no issues. Ever.

But your car, your money, your choice :)
Grumpy old man

Gintonic

• Macedonia
    • Omega B FL, 3.0 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2019, 19:17:16 »

Haven't done anything yet. It's very cold in my shed I call garage and crowded. So I'm waiting for the weekend. I will try to check connections first and clean the sensor. And I will try to find cadillac part from USA, have some friends over there
Something else, which Australian holden runs this engine, x30xe, so I can order some parts over there, I have even a closer friend that comes visiting all the time

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2019, 03:53:51 »

I didn't notice you were in Macedonia. Might you be better off buying parts for your Omega from Germany, if they're not available in your country?

I don't think the crank sensor you need was fitted to a Holden.

The below pars are all the same item, ie Bosch 0261210131. The V6 Omegas used a Bosch engine management system and all components of it were always available from a Bosch auto electronics dealer as well as the Opel dealer channel. So try a Bosch dealer, but be aware that your part is obsolete, as are all Omega parts.

OPEL 90540743
OPEL (KAT) 1238740
VAUXHALL 90540743
CADILLAC 90494182
SAAB 90494182

Wherever you get the sensor from, it needs to be Bosch 0261210131 in the package. If it doesn't have a Bosch logo and that number then it's not a Bosch sensor. Aftermarket clones vary enormously and are troublesome. Some that fit correctly are not the correct resistance. The resistance needs to match the revision of the ECU being used.

By all means try gently cleaning the sensor. Check the numbers on it. But don't hold out much hope, these sensors all eventually fail and need to be replaced, not just Opel. In your case it suffers from heat degradation because of where it's positioned and the cable routing.

Gintonic

• Macedonia
    • Omega B FL, 3.0 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2019, 18:13:54 »

Yes, I m from Macedonia,  over here parts are very cheap but very bad quality. Usually I go to Greece for parts (200 kms of very good highway to go fast with the omega) , but parts  for the omega are getting hard to find, since omega  its an older model and especially 3.0 V6 as a model was very very rare.
Sometimes that's a good thing, when I  bought original leads in Greece, price came down from 360 Eur to 90 eur for both sides
They ve been sitting here for 5 yrs, salesman said :)
However, I have very good petrol head friends in UK, so for something not too big I can even order it from UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.