Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HBV Possible  (Read 1878 times)

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
HBV Possible
« on: 18 December 2019, 19:31:43 »

Hi all, thanks for the recent parts and advice i have taken apart the used gear selector and cleaned it out and regreased it ready to go on the car.I noticed that when i had the car started it did warm up gradually and both of the matrix pipes are hot.Also the gauge did start working then sort of dropped back off to zero.I have flushed the coolant out and did get some light brown water out in doing this but noticed that the expansion tank still not even getting a little bit warm with the cap on and theres not really a flow through it.I it the HBV on a V6 and should both matrix pipes be hot.Im not so sure its the Thermostat but i guess i need to test it or just take it out.Many Thanks Gavin.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: HBV Possible
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2019, 19:55:20 »

From cold start put your hand on the top radiator hose that runs past the side of the battery area and is usually wrapped in a thin black mesh.

If it stays cold then you suddenly feel a flow of warm then hot coolant the thermostat is good...if it just gradually creeps to warm without the sudden change the thermostat is almost certainly past it.

Not a pleasant job on a V6 ,but well doable with care and a set procedure...budget for a new thermostat and housing along with a new coolant transfer pipe.( the alloy pipe that runs from the thermostat housing to connect the top hose to )..they usually are corroded in place and require either brute force or a good firm crack with a hammer and thin bolster or similar to smash apart.

If you replace the transfer pipe you should get the 2 rubber 0 rings if not and you are lucky and can get your original apart you need 2 new 0 rings. 

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2019, 20:10:36 »

Yep just checked it, it gradually gets sort of warm but hardly even luke warm while both matrix pipes are hot.VX parts or elsewhere. I take it they will have a new transfer pipe and or the o ring seals.What about the thermostat any ideas on GM parts numbers would be great.Also while im down that far is there anything else that can be done at the same time> Thanks Gavin.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2019, 20:42:57 »

Thermostat housing will be a remortgage direct from VX assuming they can even supply so probably wise just buying what ebay/autovaux etc have to offer as most will be wahler which is oem with the part numbers ground away due to marketing .

Be careful though as the bolt housing holes differ in thickness..later V6 tended to have the thicker shouldered earlier models had the thinner but you can modify the bolt length with either washers or cutting them down.I would tend to opt for correct size housing which would probably be either Topran or maybe Febi all should appear with a google search.

As for the transfer pipe that may prove more illusive as doudt VX will be ableto supply and last word on forum was only available from USA as std gm part over there,but postage etc will be pricey so maybe a plea for help if anybody has 1 spare or not required.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2019, 21:21:48 »

Search the part numbers on ebay.com :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2019, 23:12:42 »

Nice one lads, thanks for the info it will make it a lot easier to do.Will keep you all posted Thanks Gavin.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2019, 09:48:18 »

Quality thermostat from Wahler, the OE supplier, is readily and cheaply available for far less hassle than getting one(the same part in a different box) from GM. The early and late types are interchangeable by swapping bolts or adding/removing washers.

The transfer tube is GM only and although you might separate it from the stat housing in a usable condition, that's getting increasingly unlikely as the cars age. Having a replacement to hand before you start the job is pragmatic. I would suggest you inspect the coolant hose from the tube to the radiator; the engine end will have been soaked by engine oil leaks, and is probably very soft. That's GM only, I paid about £20 for one with a good discount. Neither of these parts will be in stock, so plan ahead.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2019, 09:52:54 »

WOT he said  .... plus make sure the swearbox has been emptied and you have a good supply of tokens to place therein  when the going gets rough .....   :)

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2019, 16:36:01 »

Lol i would fill it on a good day but yep having had a 2.2 i know what you mean.Spoke to vaux parts today the said theres none anywhere, the tube that is, as the gaskets go with it thats those done in as well. If the old one can be removed could it be sealed inside with something if the o rings are a little done in.Thats presuming it comes of lol. Is the no room to rotate it and just remove the themostat from just the housing therefore keeping the bond between the housing ok.Thanks gavin

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2019, 16:59:49 »

When you get the plenum/inlet manifold and fuel rail out the way you will see what is involved ,but as I have done several over my Omega ownerships I wouldn't now attempt it without a new transfer pipe as whilst in principle the old 1 might pull away its getting enough grip and leverage on the old pipework to get it to split.

Under no circumstances use the old 0 rings as for the effort involved getting it all back to then find it has leaked is quite sole destroying.I always tend to smear silicone grease around the new O rings and pipe end before it gets pushed into the thermostat housing just to be on the safe side,but if you wanted to seal the pipe without O rings I imagine a good thick bead of silicone would work but its messy and as the space to work is quite tight you run the risk of it not sealing still.I image you could buy the 0 rings from many other sources once you have the old ones out to compare.

You could get the old thermostat out from the existing housing if you are really stuck and just replace the inners but a google search will source the complete unit easily ,its the transfer pipe that you will struggle to source as you have found.

I might have a good used 1 in my "spares just incase" box but not promising will look tomorrow if you drop me a pm to remind me.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2019, 17:21:40 »

If you search 90411629 you will find them available from outside UK but postage is high but you may get lucky

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2019, 18:54:18 »

Cheers mate ,yep i know what you mean i always like doing a job properly and it is getting difficult to source parts but i guess thats why i love the omegas.Let out an old boy on my way into tonbridge yesterday in a pristine 2.2, he had it looking mint, bet he had it from new as well, not a mark on it, did laugh.I have managed to get one from cyprus 15 quid 10 quid postage in original GM packaging, new part, so will wait on that to arrive before attempting it because its bound to break.Is Febi or topran the best fit for the themostat and any tricks on loosening them up on removal please.Thanks Gavin

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2019, 19:52:14 »

Glad to hear you have sourced a transfer pipe and at not a lot more than they used to be from VX tbh.

Thermostat will be an easier find,no preference as they are all much of a muchness now and I expect yours will be the thicker shoulder type so search on Amazon will find the right part..sorry cant do page links as computer dummy but search the description below :

febi bilstein 19595 Thermostat with o-ring, pack of one

If you read the excellent guide along with the video in the maintenance section it will give you all the info you need....only other bits you will require are 5ltrs of coolant

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2019, 19:53:32 »

Postage from the US is still cheaper than buying genuine from VX ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2019, 20:36:21 »

Glad to hear you have sourced a transfer pipe and at not a lot more than they used to be from VX tbh.

Thermostat will be an easier find,no preference as they are all much of a muchness now and I expect yours will be the thicker shoulder type so search on Amazon will find the right part..sorry cant do page links as computer dummy but search the description below :

febi bilstein 19595 Thermostat with o-ring, pack of one

If you read the excellent guide along with the video in the maintenance section it will give you all the info you need....only other bits you will require are 5ltrs of coolant

I would drain the whole system, and refill with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and anti/freeze. :y
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.