Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xenon Headlight ECU / Tech 2  (Read 5581 times)

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
Xenon Headlight ECU / Tech 2
« on: 23 December 2019, 17:19:20 »

After having replaced both Xenon headlights, Tech 2 is no longer able to communicate with the headlight levelling system ("No Communication With Vehicle").
Communication with other systems work fine.
I also get an intermittent error message for malfunctioning headlight levelling system on the information screen in the car.
My first idea was that the front levelling sensor was causing this but then again, even if the sensor has gone bad, Tech 2 should still be able to communicate with the system?
Does anyone know the location of the Xenon Headlight ECU (GM part No. 90 565 31)? Maybe this part is creating the problems?
Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Xenon Headlight ECU / Tech 2
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2019, 17:21:02 »

Behind the right hand headlight, above the suspension pump (if fitted).

Access isn't quite a wing off job, but it helps ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2019, 17:22:48 »

Don't rule out the sensors though as they are both on the left of the vehicle and take a kicking in this weather with all the puddles.

Also are the motors correctly fitted to the new units :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2019, 17:47:10 »

With all the Omega's I've owned, never had a problem with headlight Ecu, are you over thinking a simple fault.

An intermittent fault would say to me broken wire/loose plug.  :)
« Last Edit: 23 December 2019, 17:49:39 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2019, 10:53:37 »

Behind the right hand headlight, above the suspension pump (if fitted).

Access isn't quite a wing off job, but it helps ;)

Thanks, then I know where to look (if needed).

Don't rule out the sensors though as they are both on the left of the vehicle and take a kicking in this weather with all the puddles.

Also are the motors correctly fitted to the new units :-\

Referring to the motors, this is also something I'm considering. The work has been done by a small garage which had a lot of problems with the manual height adjustment of the new DEPO headlights (couldn´t be adjusted high enough). When the ignition is turned on, you can hear the level motors working but no movement can be seen, maybe because of jammed headlight inserts? The error message comes and goes in intervalls, just like the system is trying to adjust the headlights but for some reason doesn't manage to do so.
In either case, this doesn't explain why Tech 2 is no longer able to communicate with the headlight levelling system...Strange :-\

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2019, 11:03:41 »

With all the Omega's I've owned, never had a problem with headlight Ecu, are you over thinking a simple fault.

An intermittent fault would say to me broken wire/loose plug.  :)

I really hope I am but why is Tech 2 no longer able to communicate with the headlight levelling system? When the original headlights were fitted, this problem didn't occur.
One consequence of this is that the levelling system couldn't be reset before installing the new headlights. Maybe this is causing the problems?
I believe the headlights have to be unmounted and fitted again, following some kind of "step by step" instruction to find out what is causing the problems. Not sure if this kind of guide is available on but I will I'll look through the forum when I have more time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2019, 11:59:43 »

The headlight ECU is one of the slowest to respond to diags, beaten only by the sunroof one normally.  However, it should respond before the Tech2 times out, as long as the ECU has power and the diags line is in tact.

Never seen an headlight ECU fail, but have seen loom damage.

If this happened after some ham fisted garage has been in there, I'd be looking for signs of the loom being snagged, pulled, modified first.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2019, 12:01:48 »

Note, also, some of the cloned Chinese Tech2s that you can pick up sub £500 delivered do struggle to read some of the ECUs reliably.  Though if yours was able to read it previously, it suddenly wouldn't stop...
Grumpy old man

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 December 2019, 14:53:54 »

Note, also, some of the cloned Chinese Tech2s that you can pick up sub £500 delivered do struggle to read some of the ECUs reliably.  Though if yours was able to read it previously, it suddenly wouldn't stop...

The Tech2, owned by the garage, not me, is sub £500 bought on eBay and yes, it was able to read the headlight ECU previously, including the possibility to manually adjust the headligth motors.
Now it just states "No Communication With Vehicle" when trying to access the headlight leveling system (communicates with other systems though). Very strange indeed... ???
« Last Edit: 25 December 2019, 14:55:44 by Thingymabob »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 December 2019, 14:56:29 »

Something has been cobbled then :-\

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 December 2019, 15:20:17 »

Something has been cobbled then :-\

It is very likely, I'm afraid.
Probably, it is about the workshop not being accustomed to handling this type of self-adjusting headlights.
Since you can hear the motors working but don't see the headlights moving, the installation must have been done incorrectly.
To find the fault, the headlights will probably have to be removed and refitted again. Will discuss this with the garage on Friday...

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 December 2019, 15:48:34 »

Does anyone with experience of replacing the headlights, have some kind of "step by step instruction" and/or important points to consider when installing the new headlights?
In particular, I think about the parts that deal with the automatic leveling system/motors and the manual height setting.
When the system makes its basic setting of the headlight height, at every start-up, I assume that the headlights should dip down and then raised to the correct position?
Can the installation of new headlights be done without Tech2 or is it neccessary to have it in order to reset the leveling system? Or can this be done some other way?  :-\
All information that can be used in my discussions with the garage who has done the installation would be highly appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: 25 December 2019, 16:02:52 by Thingymabob »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 December 2019, 18:01:41 »

From what I remember-it's a long time since I drove it in the dark-on turning the lights on they flare high then dip to lowest and then "centre" themselves.I've never replaced any of the headlamps so can't help as far as calibration goes.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 December 2019, 18:06:41 »

The Depo lights require some fettling to fit the ballasts properly, but everything else fits fine including the motors and wiring. And if I can do it, a halfway competent garage should be well able...

I would find another :-\

I suspect that they have trashed your lights and motors by not removing the transit locks correctly and not fitting components correctly. Which is worrying as the lights are supplied with clear instructions regarding the transit locks...  :o
« Last Edit: 25 December 2019, 18:10:16 by Doctor Gollum »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2019, 12:18:15 »

..... as the lights are supplied with clear instructions regarding the transit locks...  :o

So are washing machines but I didn't notice until the washer was trying to make a bid for freedom from my garage ....  :-[ :-[  ;D ;D

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 December 2019, 13:26:56 »

The Depo lights require some fettling to fit the ballasts properly, but everything else fits fine including the motors and wiring. And if I can do it, a halfway competent garage should be well able...

I suspect that they have trashed your lights and motors by not removing the transit locks correctly and not fitting components correctly. Which is worrying as the lights are supplied with clear instructions regarding the transit locks...  :o

I checked this and apparently the transport locks (cable ties) have been removed.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 December 2019, 17:03:01 »

And the metal rods they were attached to?  ???

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 December 2019, 17:21:18 »

I cannot see any metal rod(s) looking into the headligth from the rear, in which of the "openings" (H7 main beam/xenon low beam, etc.) should I look to see it (if it is still in there ;D)?
Is it just a straight single metal rod or does it have a specific appearance? Size?

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 December 2019, 18:57:15 »

Did you use Tech2 when you fitted the Depo headlights and did the automatic leveling system work after the swap?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 December 2019, 19:49:39 »

Did you use Tech2 when you fitted the Depo headlights and did the automatic leveling system work after the swap?
No and Yes. In that order...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 December 2019, 19:56:22 »

I cannot see any metal rod(s) looking into the headligth from the rear, in which of the "openings" (H7 main beam/xenon low beam, etc.) should I look to see it (if it is still in there ;D)?
Is it just a straight single metal rod or does it have a specific appearance? Size?
From memory, it was in the 'xenon' opening and was sturdy wire like hurricane fencing wire... can't remember exactly how they attached, but they certainly held the assembly rigid.

With your lights/car in front of me, I could help more, but it would be cheaper for you to buy and fit new Hella units than for me to come to Sweden.

I can therefore only suggest that you obtain a new pair of headlights/replacement motors and find a better garage to fit them :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 December 2019, 11:36:28 »

the auto levelling is additional to the manual adjusters, so a Tech2 is utterly unnecessary when fitting the lamps.

What is required:
 that the manual adjusters are undamaged, free and are not at the end of their travel.
The motors are correctly fitted to the reflector, and secure in the lamp
Ballasts are correctly wired
The front and rear level sensors are undamaged: they're a bit fragile generally and are easily broken
The ECU is out of the way and reliable which should mean that it's unmolested. But it's an ECU which run on PFM and so they frequently get the blame for simple mechanical faults. Which in turn leads to all manner of inept bodgery.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 December 2019, 11:43:27 »

To clarify the Tech2 thing, the Tech2 cannot (directly) adjust the headlights.  Thus, one is not required to fit or adjust them.

The Xenon units are adjusted in the same way as the halogen, via the manual adjusters that are on the top of the headlight units.

What a Tech2 can do, amongst other things, is exercise the motors (handy to make them run freer), and also recalibrate the level sensors (which indirectly can adjust the headlight height, but is not the approved way to set them).

HTH
Grumpy old man

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 December 2019, 12:15:59 »

To clarify the Tech2 thing, the Tech2 cannot (directly) adjust the headlights.  Thus, one is not required to fit or adjust them.

The Xenon units are adjusted in the same way as the halogen, via the manual adjusters that are on the top of the headlight units.

What a Tech2 can do, amongst other things, is exercise the motors (handy to make them run freer), and also recalibrate the level sensors (which indirectly can adjust the headlight height, but is not the approved way to set them).

HTH

When performing the manual height adjustment (via the adjuster on top of the headlight unit), should the motor be in a specific position (fully in/out/"middle", etc.)?
« Last Edit: 27 December 2019, 12:20:56 by Thingymabob »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 December 2019, 12:39:43 »

When performing the manual height adjustment (via the adjuster on top of the headlight unit), should the motor be in a specific position (fully in/out/"middle", etc.)?

if the levelling system is working properly, you adjust the lamps like any other car: park it in front of a wall and fiddle with the adjuster screws until you're happy. The levelling should then keep that setting no matter how much the ride height changes due to load. If the levelling isn't working, then fix that FIRST.

You're trying to make something simple very complicated. That's the downside of getting any question answered quickly, rather than just getting on and doing the job.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 December 2019, 13:15:44 »

HTH

As Nick W says, adjust it manually as per any headlight.  Though if the headlight levelling ECU is playing up, that needs to be resolved first.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 December 2019, 14:35:19 »

HTH

The motors should sit according to the position given by the front and rear sensors...

If the boot has half a ton of crap in it and the motors aren't fitted correctly, then you're fighting a losing battle.

Something clearly isn't correct if nothing is happening.

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 December 2019, 10:16:17 »

Thanks for all your valuable input!
I now have a much better understanding of how the headlights and the self adjusting level control system work and before the end of next year it should be resolved! ::)
Happy New Year a few days in advance! :) :y

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 December 2019, 11:39:40 »

You know where to find original headlights, not new but in good shape with new adjusters.  :)

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 December 2019, 12:29:01 »

You know where to find original headlights, not new but in good shape with new adjusters.  :)

Thanks, Jan, I really appreciate that. :)
Did you receive the new adjusters?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 December 2019, 12:49:09 »

Wonder what the postage is for an ECU to Sweden ???
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 December 2019, 13:34:50 »

Wonder what the postage is for an ECU to Sweden ???

less than it will be in a month...........

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 December 2019, 13:37:05 »

Got one here.  :y According to RM cost shouldn't be more than £10.00.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2019, 13:46:31 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 December 2019, 14:15:20 »

Got one here.  :y According to RM cost shouldn't be more than £10.00.

Thanks! I actually bought one yesterday on eBay and it was £9.98, shipping included ;D
If it doesn't arrive, I know where to find another one :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 December 2019, 14:22:10 »

That's £10 you'll never see again :-X

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 December 2019, 14:48:06 »

8) ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 December 2019, 15:52:10 »

Has Eboy moved to Sweden? ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 December 2019, 15:59:50 »

Not sure they would have him :D

What I meant was that Thingamybob won't get his money back when it doesn't solve the problem  ;)

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 December 2019, 15:32:44 »

Is it possible to check the level sensors function by measuring the output signal?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 December 2019, 14:40:06 »

Looking at the electronics in the sensors, I doubt it will simply be a variable voltage.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.