Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Xenon Headlight ECU / Tech 2  (Read 5582 times)

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
Re: Xenon Headlight ECU / Tech 2
« Reply #15 on: 26 December 2019, 13:26:56 »

The Depo lights require some fettling to fit the ballasts properly, but everything else fits fine including the motors and wiring. And if I can do it, a halfway competent garage should be well able...

I would find another :-\

I suspect that they have trashed your lights and motors by not removing the transit locks correctly and not fitting components correctly. Which is worrying as the lights are supplied with clear instructions regarding the transit locks...  :o

I checked this and apparently the transport locks (cable ties) have been removed.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 December 2019, 17:03:01 »

And the metal rods they were attached to?  ???
Onanists always think outside the box.

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 December 2019, 17:21:18 »

I cannot see any metal rod(s) looking into the headligth from the rear, in which of the "openings" (H7 main beam/xenon low beam, etc.) should I look to see it (if it is still in there ;D)?
Is it just a straight single metal rod or does it have a specific appearance? Size?

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 December 2019, 18:57:15 »

The Depo lights require some fettling to fit the ballasts properly, but everything else fits fine including the motors and wiring. And if I can do it, a halfway competent garage should be well able...

I suspect that they have trashed your lights and motors by not removing the transit locks correctly and not fitting components correctly. Which is worrying as the lights are supplied with clear instructions regarding the transit locks...  :o

Did you use Tech2 when you fitted the Depo headlights and did the automatic leveling system work after the swap?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 December 2019, 19:49:39 »

Did you use Tech2 when you fitted the Depo headlights and did the automatic leveling system work after the swap?
No and Yes. In that order...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 December 2019, 19:56:22 »

I cannot see any metal rod(s) looking into the headligth from the rear, in which of the "openings" (H7 main beam/xenon low beam, etc.) should I look to see it (if it is still in there ;D)?
Is it just a straight single metal rod or does it have a specific appearance? Size?
From memory, it was in the 'xenon' opening and was sturdy wire like hurricane fencing wire... can't remember exactly how they attached, but they certainly held the assembly rigid.

With your lights/car in front of me, I could help more, but it would be cheaper for you to buy and fit new Hella units than for me to come to Sweden.

I can therefore only suggest that you obtain a new pair of headlights/replacement motors and find a better garage to fit them :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 December 2019, 11:36:28 »

the auto levelling is additional to the manual adjusters, so a Tech2 is utterly unnecessary when fitting the lamps.

What is required:
 that the manual adjusters are undamaged, free and are not at the end of their travel.
The motors are correctly fitted to the reflector, and secure in the lamp
Ballasts are correctly wired
The front and rear level sensors are undamaged: they're a bit fragile generally and are easily broken
The ECU is out of the way and reliable which should mean that it's unmolested. But it's an ECU which run on PFM and so they frequently get the blame for simple mechanical faults. Which in turn leads to all manner of inept bodgery.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 December 2019, 11:43:27 »

To clarify the Tech2 thing, the Tech2 cannot (directly) adjust the headlights.  Thus, one is not required to fit or adjust them.

The Xenon units are adjusted in the same way as the halogen, via the manual adjusters that are on the top of the headlight units.

What a Tech2 can do, amongst other things, is exercise the motors (handy to make them run freer), and also recalibrate the level sensors (which indirectly can adjust the headlight height, but is not the approved way to set them).

HTH
Grumpy old man

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 December 2019, 12:15:59 »

To clarify the Tech2 thing, the Tech2 cannot (directly) adjust the headlights.  Thus, one is not required to fit or adjust them.

The Xenon units are adjusted in the same way as the halogen, via the manual adjusters that are on the top of the headlight units.

What a Tech2 can do, amongst other things, is exercise the motors (handy to make them run freer), and also recalibrate the level sensors (which indirectly can adjust the headlight height, but is not the approved way to set them).

HTH

When performing the manual height adjustment (via the adjuster on top of the headlight unit), should the motor be in a specific position (fully in/out/"middle", etc.)?
« Last Edit: 27 December 2019, 12:20:56 by Thingymabob »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 December 2019, 12:39:43 »

When performing the manual height adjustment (via the adjuster on top of the headlight unit), should the motor be in a specific position (fully in/out/"middle", etc.)?

if the levelling system is working properly, you adjust the lamps like any other car: park it in front of a wall and fiddle with the adjuster screws until you're happy. The levelling should then keep that setting no matter how much the ride height changes due to load. If the levelling isn't working, then fix that FIRST.

You're trying to make something simple very complicated. That's the downside of getting any question answered quickly, rather than just getting on and doing the job.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 December 2019, 13:15:44 »

HTH

As Nick W says, adjust it manually as per any headlight.  Though if the headlight levelling ECU is playing up, that needs to be resolved first.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 December 2019, 14:35:19 »

HTH

The motors should sit according to the position given by the front and rear sensors...

If the boot has half a ton of crap in it and the motors aren't fitted correctly, then you're fighting a losing battle.

Something clearly isn't correct if nothing is happening.

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 December 2019, 10:16:17 »

Thanks for all your valuable input!
I now have a much better understanding of how the headlights and the self adjusting level control system work and before the end of next year it should be resolved! ::)
Happy New Year a few days in advance! :) :y

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 December 2019, 11:39:40 »

You know where to find original headlights, not new but in good shape with new adjusters.  :)

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

Thingymabob

• Karlshamn, Sweden
    • 00 2.5 V6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 December 2019, 12:29:01 »

You know where to find original headlights, not new but in good shape with new adjusters.  :)

Thanks, Jan, I really appreciate that. :)
Did you receive the new adjusters?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.