Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorists v Cyclists yet again  (Read 18369 times)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Motorists v Cyclists yet again
« on: 17 September 2016, 18:04:26 »

If, when passing a cyclist, at least 5 foot (app 1500mm) of space is not given by said motorist/s, any police in proximity who notice the "offence" will whack a fixed penalty on the vehicle driver :-X
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Motorists v Cyclists yet again
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2016, 18:32:44 »

Sounds about right to me. Anyone who cycles regularly would probably agree. :y

Then again, when was the last time you noticed Police in proximity of anything motoring related, hence all the mobile phone drivers. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2016, 18:35:56 »

So whats the overtaking distance?
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2016, 18:43:06 »

About time too :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2016, 18:50:04 »

Then again, when was the last time you noticed Police in proximity of anything motoring related, hence all the mobile phone drivers. ::)
Any police won't do. It has to be traffic police. We have a small police station about 100 yds from us, they call in to use the bog, I think, or just skive for half an hour. The drive past all kinds of minor offences every day but don't bother stopping or owt. It's not their job.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2016, 19:01:51 »

Any police won't do. It has to be traffic police. We have a small police station about 100 yds from us, they call in to use the bog, I think, or just skive for half an hour. The drive past all kinds of minor offences every day but don't bother stopping or owt. It's not their job.

I'd be worried about that  :o They (so more than one) call at yours to use your bathroom facilities and there both in there for 1/2 hour  :o :o ::) ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2016, 20:02:40 »

I'd be worried about that  :o They (so more than one) call at yours to use your bathroom facilities and there both in there for 1/2 hour  :o :o ::) ;D

I, for one, wouldn't want to use the crapper any time soon after STMO. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2016, 20:04:31 »

...and what was this thread about again? ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2016, 20:06:16 »

All those doughnuts can bind you up a little. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2016, 20:22:17 »

Also about time the police stopped and fined cyclists using a pedestrian crossing as an extension of a designated cycle path >:(

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2016, 20:24:02 »

So what you`re implying is that if a non traffic police officer witnessed a motorist who is obviously pissed, they can`t/won`t arrest him/her ???

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2016, 21:07:28 »

So what you`re implying is that if a non traffic police officer witnessed a motorist who is obviously pissed, they can`t/won`t arrest him/her ???
No, Rob, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is, round here anyway, non traffic police officers will ignore minor traffic violations, such as parking on double yellows or using mobile devices, or even speeding.
If you were being a complete prat, then I'm sure you'd get a pull, but not in the normal course of things.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2016, 09:14:49 »

Also about time the police stopped and fined cyclists using a pedestrian crossing as an extension of a designated cycle path >:(

And riding with no lights, 99% don't seem to have lights, and when you polite say to them"excuse me me,your lights don't seem to be working" the reply is normally not "thank-you kind motorist,I will attend to that fault,with my bicycle's illumination" :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2016, 12:20:06 »

Anyone who thinks that passing a cyclist with anything less than the legal limit of 1.5m should go to their local train station, wait for a train to approach on a pass-through without stopping, stand between the platform edge and the yellow and put their back to the oncoming train.  Only then will you get a feel for how flippin terrifying a close pass can be.

I agree that cyclists not following rules should also be brought to book but lets keep in mind the severity of the offence.  Riding on an empty crossing (not condoning it btw) is very minor compared to scaring the cr@p out of a cyclist by passing too close and potentially putting them in harm's way.

And I don't believe that 99% of cyclists are as you say.  As I mentioned some while back an observation driving in London last year showed that the majority of red-light runners were (in both actual number and in terms of road user %) mostly cars, vans and lorries not cyclists.  I make sure I am lit up like a Christmas tree day and night and I probably hurt people's sight with the brightness of my lights but I don't care.

At the end of the day it is up to you to drive in a defensive manner and treat other road users safely.  Whether the other road user is law-abiding or not, if you kill or hurt them you risk paying the price if you too were not following the rules.  If a cyclist is breaking the law and gets run over he pays with his/her life. So why not just wait a couple of seconds and pass a cyclist properly?  Time spent waiting to overtake a cyclist is usually taken off the time you would have spent at the next light/queue anyway :)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2016, 12:37:27 »

Quite agree , when I joined the London Ambulance Service back in 1979 defensive driving was drummed into the new staff & it stays with you , the majority of drivers I see seem to adopt an aggressive approach slap dash & careless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.