Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorists v Cyclists yet again  (Read 18376 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Motorists v Cyclists yet again
« Reply #30 on: 22 September 2016, 13:44:42 »

it`s a ruddy bun fight, no one will give way or gives a toss about the other road users. I edged out of a driveway blocking a cycle path for all of 10 seconds. The lycra loon up the road started hooting & screaming at me when he was still 25 metres away. No, he was not interested in giving way, the drama queen.
I screamed back him "Look behind you" & he did  ;D ;D Ohh panto season all year round  :D

;D ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 September 2016, 00:21:17 »

Hmmm.... how to ease tension....

Is there a God? Discuss  :D

Most definitely, without TB none of us could or would..........

on OOF. ???
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2016, 15:21:39 »

Hmmm.... how to ease tension....

Is there a God? Discuss  :D

Most definitely, without TB none of us could or would..........

on OOF. ???

TuBy is not the messiah, but he is definitely a very naughty boy  :P ;D ;D

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 September 2016, 15:22:45 »

How often, on a road devoid of parked cars, do you see a cyclist only 0.75m from the kerb?????
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 September 2016, 15:33:18 »

http://road.cc/content/news/206060-west-midlands-police-issues-prosecution-notices-14-close-pass-drivers

14 down. :y

Asked whether the prosecutions had come about as a result of the recently launched initiative in which a cycling officer radios ahead to colleagues after experiencing a close pass, the unit replied: “No these are straight prosecutions from 3rd party camera footage following complaints from cyclists.”

:y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 September 2016, 15:36:12 »

How often, on a road devoid of parked cars, do you see a cyclist only 0.75m from the kerb?????

More often than I see motor vehicles giving cyclists the correct amount of space when overtaking and that is a fact  ;)

I also see quite a few cyclists that hug the kerb, dangerously so.  Probably due to them having been on the receiving end of a few punishment passes.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 September 2016, 16:15:18 »

It seems that the last 0.75m of road surface around me is exempt from pothole repairs so a valid point, IMHO. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 September 2016, 16:41:08 »

It seems that the last 0.75m of road surface around me is exempt from pothole repairs so a valid point, IMHO. ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYEPPU9wdQY

Another 'reason' ::)

And the pri... driver continues rolling through the junction :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 September 2016, 16:47:17 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYEPPU9wdQY

Another 'reason' ::)

And the pri... driver continues rolling through the junction :o
Car driver should have stopped before edging.... Clearly looking left as he pulled out, probably didn't even see the bike.

Equally rather than forcing the situation,  cyclist should have anticipated it. Afterall it was completely predictable...
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 September 2016, 19:59:23 »

Anyone who thinks that passing a cyclist with anything less than the legal limit of 1.5m should go to their local train station, wait for a train to approach on a pass-through without stopping, stand between the platform edge and the yellow and put their back to the oncoming train.  Only then will you get a feel for how flippin terrifying a close pass can be.

When I was younger I was told that if I stood too near the edge of a railway station platform I would get sucked off. I've been going to the local train station daily for the last thirty odd years in hope that it would happen but no luck so far.  ::)

On a serious note, I always give cyclists plenty of room in case they wobble/fall off but, just to put this in to perspective, some of our back roads are only nine feet wide. How do I get a six feet wide car past a bike and still leave five feet clear?  :-\  There must be some massive tailbacks in Cornwall now.   ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 September 2016, 22:12:29 »

some of our back roads are only nine feet wide. How do I get a six feet wide car past a bike and still leave five feet clear?  :-\  There must be some massive tailbacks in Cornwall now.   ;D

I agree with you there, there are so many roads that are quite narrow and not built for giving this amount of room.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 September 2016, 22:18:45 »

Anyone who thinks that passing a cyclist with anything less than the legal limit of 1.5m should go to their local train station, wait for a train to approach on a pass-through without stopping, stand between the platform edge and the yellow and put their back to the oncoming train.  Only then will you get a feel for how flippin terrifying a close pass can be.

When I was younger I was told that if I stood too near the edge of a railway station platform I would get sucked off. I've been going to the local train station daily for the last thirty odd years in hope that it would happen but no luck so far.  ::)

On a serious note, I always give cyclists plenty of room in case they wobble/fall off but, just to put this in to perspective, some of our back roads are only nine feet wide. How do I get a six feet wide car past a bike and still leave five feet clear?  :-\  There must be some massive tailbacks in Cornwall now.   ;D

;D ;D ;D  Is that what train spotters are actually waiting for?  :D

As for narrow roads I was thinking about that too.  I guess it would depend on the road but if it was that narrow a slower pass would be ok at a safe opportunity.  Personally I would signal the driver to wait until I found a spot I was happy with and signal the driver to come past.  As I am higher up than car drivers I can see more of the road ahead so that mutual understanding between road users would have to be there.  There is a road near me where you have a blind summit with a chicane at the top, a nightmare for cyclists as it is uphill and you are doing 10mph at most but it is too narrow for a motorist to pass safely.  My technique is to take the lane (that means cycle in the middle to stop motorists from passing) when it is safe and if a motorist comes up I use my hand to signal that they should wait.  When I get to see over the summit and check it is clear I move left and signal the motorist to pass.  They usually get frustrated with me at first but when they realise I am helping them they understand and almost always give a wave although not all trust me and some wont pass until much later.  That's their choice.

On your travels you might get a prick cyclist who cannot think outside of his own reality but that won't count for nowt to the rozzers when you speed past him at 60mph and send him head first in to the hedge and his helmet cam footage leaves you no choice but to plead guilty ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 September 2016, 22:26:42 »

On your travels you might get a prick cyclist who cannot think outside of his own reality but that won't count for nowt to the rozzers when you speed past him at 60mph and send him head first in to the hedge and his helmet cam footage leaves you no choice but to plead guilty ::)

.. and, just for balance. Cyclists today on my way home from work. Country lane, narrow but plenty of safe passing opportunities. Cyclists looked back, saw me in a car, carried on 2 abreast. >:(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 September 2016, 22:33:25 »

.. and, just for balance. Cyclists today on my way home from work. Country lane, narrow but plenty of safe passing opportunities. Cyclists looked back, saw me in a car, carried on 2 abreast. >:(

I often think that this time of year is when the ill will to cyclists is the highest.  You have the tail end of the summer cyclist still cycling to work/pub contemplating when they should revert back to pre-summer transport and who thinks that if there are street lights then riding with no lights is ok for a week or so while they switch between pavement and road when it suits them.

And that image stays with motorists all year.

While the rest of us who cycle all year round, obey the rules, are courteous and safe get all the agro from October to April.

Just a theory, you understand  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.