Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tax Discs  (Read 2709 times)

aaronjb

Re: Tax Discs
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2014, 20:19:13 »

If the ANPR network was anywhere near as efficient at catching untaxed vehicles as is depicted here, surely there would be no untaxed vehicles on the road?

Well .. the ANPR probably is that efficient, the message just never makes it from the people operating it over to the DVLA..

I reckon the primary enforcement route going forward will be the DVLA comparing the V5 database to the insurance database to the tax database, and if there's a car listed on the MID or V5 database that isn't taxed or SORNed, they'll send the clampers out..

So if you never register it in your own name, never insure it and never tax it… which is probably the situation for the majority of untaxed and uninsured vehicles out there blamed for driving up all our premiums..

Or am I just cynical?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 August 2014, 20:20:59 »

Or am I just cynical?

Not at all!  ::) ::)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 August 2014, 20:39:42 »

If the ANPR network was anywhere near as efficient at catching untaxed vehicles as is depicted here, surely there would be no untaxed vehicles on the road?

Well .. the ANPR probably is that efficient, the message just never makes it from the people operating it over to the DVLA..

I reckon the primary enforcement route going forward will be the DVLA comparing the V5 database to the insurance database to the tax database, and if there's a car listed on the MID or V5 database that isn't taxed or SORNed, they'll send the clampers out..

So if you never register it in your own name, never insure it and never tax it… which is probably the situation for the majority of untaxed and uninsured vehicles out there blamed for driving up all our premiums..

Or am I just cynical?

no not at all...a van at work whilst being repaired should have had it's first MOT....For one reason or another it was not done and returned to us....the van does circa 150 miles a night...after 2 weeks transport were chasing for the MOT cert for the file....it then transpired the vehicle had been driven around without a MOT for two week...and it was only picked up due to a jobs worth and the lack of paperwork...are you telling me in the 2 weeks the van never went though a ANPR camera which is even further unbelievable as we are situated slap bang next door to Gatwick airport :o
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 August 2014, 20:40:18 »

Or am I just cynical?

Absolutely 100% spot on.

As long as we rely on a camera on a pole which wont catch drink drivers, unregistered vehicle owners or anything that a human police officer would catch out the average 'dodger' the farce will carry on.

Any belief that a camera is an effective replacement for a police officer is just misguided in my mind.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 August 2014, 21:22:22 »

....are you telling me in the 2 weeks the van never went though a ANPR camera which is even further unbelievable as we are situated slap bang next door to Gatwick airport :o

I drove from home to Folkestone in my Merc and returned home a fortnight later with no MOT  :-[

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 August 2014, 21:27:01 »

Cheers Lizzie :y Now I know, the Guinness label will be unstuck next month. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Just in case readers think that this is just legend, a friend and I, in his 'Y' type Ford, drove many miles over a period of a year or so with a carefully cut out Guinness bottle label in the disc holder, in 1958/59. We were never stopped. ::) ::) ::) :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 August 2014, 21:45:00 »

Cheers Lizzie :y Now I know, the Guinness label will be unstuck next month. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Just in case readers think that this is just legend, a friend and I, in his 'Y' type Ford, drove many miles over a period of a year or so with a carefully cut out Guinness bottle label in the disc holder, in 1958/59. We were never stopped. ::) ::) ::) :y

tut tut  ;) ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #22 on: 28 August 2014, 09:08:12 »

Or am I just cynical?

Ah, that leads me to say that with this new policy, let alone those concerning the use of mobile phones whilst driving, drink driving, etc, etc, we MUST have more traffic police out on patrol.  Currently those officers out there are doing well to follow up on ANPR "pinging" and bringing many to book, but there are far too few of them. We require far more to catch the large number of motorists who think they can ignore the Road Traffic Act and blatantly do a rude gesture to the rest of us lawful drivers.

In the past however the route for reporting untaxed vehicles was direct to the DVLA via a telephone call rather than direct to the police, who always insisted you went to the DVLA first. It would take ages for the DVLA to react.  Now, with ANPR the police are directly, and unavoidably, involved in catching an offending motorist when the system "ping's".  What could be better and faster than that?  In addition, as often a motorist committing one offence usually is committing others, the police capture more than just an untaxed motorist.

As for the vehicle being registered in a different name, or/and a false address, this would be a problem with just the DVLA involved, However, with a police stop on the vehicle a driver and it's vehicle is fully checked out, with now a growing use of mobile finger print technology, it can be quickly established what really could be the truth.  Add to that of course the police have the power to seize an uninsured vehicle and arrest the driver for numerous offences as applicable.  In short, there is now No Hiding Place, and this will be increasingly true.  ANPR along with police officers armed with additional technologies will be making a big difference, as indeed they are already doing so!

As said though we must have more traffic officers!

Power to those out there already though! :y :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 28 August 2014, 09:15:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 August 2014, 09:53:46 »

ANPR dosn't catch those who use 'cloned' number plates.  I could order a set of plates from ebay with the number of a nocturno blue Omega that I've seen on Autotrader (or OOF!) and merrily drive around collecting speed and parking tickets that would go to the true owner of that registration number!  ::) 

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 28 August 2014, 09:57:27 »

ANPR dosn't catch those who use 'cloned' number plates.  I could order a set of plates from ebay with the number of a nocturno blue Omega that I've seen on Autotrader (or OOF!) and merrily drive around collecting speed and parking tickets that would go to the true owner of that registration number!  ::)
Helps to have a distinctive car to prevent that... ::)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 August 2014, 10:07:05 »

I expect the 'civil liberties' groups will soon find an opening to complain about the amount of camera's. Same as they do with CCTV. As far as I am concerned the more technology to catch these ******** the better...drink drive, phone users, criminals, or whatever these miscreants are up to.
I for one, digressing slightly, am for fingerprinting everybody. My philosophy is if you abide by the law, what have you got to worry about. This applies to camera's too....don't speed, don't use the phone, tax and insure and MOT your vehicle...whats the problem :)
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 August 2014, 10:32:05 »

So does that mean that cars like mine that pay no VED (I deplore the term road tax) don't need to do anything?  :-\

Rog

« Reply #27 on: 28 August 2014, 10:32:13 »

This already happens with the London congestion charge zone.

And of course, then we have the "computer says . . . so" situation when a person is guilty until they are able to prove innocence, that is they have to demonstrate that the car is not theirs.

I am not against ANPR and CCTV etc, but it needs to be understood that for any technical implimentation there will be hordes of people out ther working to find a way around it.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 August 2014, 10:35:14 »

This already happens with the London congestion charge zone.

And of course, then we have the "computer says . . . so" situation when a person is guilty until they are able to prove innocence, that is they have to demonstrate that the car is not theirs.

I am not against ANPR and CCTV etc, but it needs to be understood that for any technical implimentation there will be hordes of people out ther working to find a way around it.

A good reason to lightly, and tastefully, modify the look of your car to make it bespoke :y

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 28 August 2014, 10:46:12 »

Helps to have a distinctive car to prevent that... ::)

But every second car these days is a white Merc, Al.. ;) ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.