Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Boris' (non) speech  (Read 11285 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Boris' (non) speech
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2020, 22:43:44 »

Ambiguous......I'm none the wiser. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2020, 22:44:12 »

......which is often the way with me. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2020, 22:53:34 »

I get the idea of quarantine for those arriving in the country by air,but what about those arriving by ferry/the tunnel or have I missed that they aren't operating non-trade services?

Ferries and shuttle are only allowing freight, and UK Nationals,  and persons with legitimate reasons to travel, being enforced on French side.

Unless they have a dinghy and a pair of oars. There have been fickin hundreds of them arriving this week.
Imo the quarantining  of arrivals is at least two months too late. GB is an island and in theory at least, could have kept the virus from arriving on its shores.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2020, 22:58:09 »

I get the idea of quarantine for those arriving in the country by air,but what about those arriving by ferry/the tunnel or have I missed that they aren't operating non-trade services?

Ferries and shuttle are only allowing freight, and UK Nationals,  and persons with legitimate reasons to travel, being enforced on French side.

Unless they have a dinghy and a pair of oars. There have been fickin hundreds of them arriving this week.
Imo the quarantining  of arrivals is at least two months too late. GB is an island and in theory at least, could have kept the virus from arriving on its shores.

New Zealand have pretty much managed this and Australia also to a lesser extent.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 May 2020, 22:59:09 »

We were driving back from the park on VE Day late afternoon. Lots of streets were having parties, flags, bunting, tables of food and drink, music blaring, etc. Not a lot of social distancing going on.
Took SWMBO for a quick spin in the wheelchair around our estate on Saturday and there were a few groups having small street gatherings. Must say that they were keeping a social distance between households and having a great time.  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2020, 23:03:08 »

Imo the quarantining  of arrivals is at least two months too late. GB is an island and in theory at least could have kept the virus from arriving on its shores.

No-one believes that. Not the UN, the WHO or the Government.

It would have required stopping ALL international travel (including Ireland/Eire), locking out UK citizens, not allowing in medical supplies, food etc.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2020, 23:07:59 »

New Zealand have pretty much managed this and Australia also to a lesser extent.  :y

Nearest coasts to both are a few thousand miles ... ours is around 20  ... population of New Zealand .. around 5 million .. .. population of Australia .. 24 million  population of London alone ??   around 10 million ..

so lets continue to compare apples to water melons ... yup .. they are both edible fruits.... I think thats about it ..

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2020, 23:10:20 »

It's the southern hemispheres summer. Their 'flu' rates typically lag the northern hemisphere by 6 months or so.

NZ has had 1144 confirmed cases and 21 deaths.
AUS has had 6927 confirmed cases and 97 deaths.

So neither country "kept the virus from arriving on its shores". And in a years time their rates will be similar to the rest of the developed world.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2020, 23:32:59 »

I guess, although I expect it to be confirmed in the next couple of days, that I won't be back to work until EasyJet start flying, which with a two week quarantine on 97% of their routes, won't be anytime soon.

So, as I cannot work from home, and have no work to do when I get there, I will almost certainly remain furloughed. Probably until June. Or beyond :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2020, 00:25:44 »

Imo the quarantining  of arrivals is at least two months too late. GB is an island and in theory at least could have kept the virus from arriving on its shores.

No-one believes that. Not the UN, the WHO or the Government.

It would have required stopping ALL international travel (including Ireland/Eire), locking out UK citizens, not allowing in medical supplies, food etc.

Why not ? Stop inward travel apart from Freight coming in. Cant see the problem. Returning UK citizens isolate for two weeks. Apparently they are going to have to do so soon so why not make them do it a couple of months earlier ?
Foreign lorry drivers either drop their trailers at the docks, or remain in their cabs while in the UK. Not saying it would have been 100% enforceable, but 90% is a hell of a lot better than 0%.
And yes, the Irish border should have been closed at the same time ,but it would have required ignoring the sensitive Republicans who would have screamed blue murder. Tough titty, peoples lives are at stake.
As for the difference in distance between Europe/UK and Australia / near neighbours. Its actually approx. 300 miles but the distance is irrelevant. If our Govt. enforced the law of the land on the south coast, then they could stop people from coming. The political will isn't there so it doesn't happen.
Australia actually had a problem about a decade ago of thousands of boat people travelling long distances across the sea to get to Australia.
They tried various means of stopping it and eventually announced that no more would be allowed entry and they would be held on an offshore island for however long it took to process their claims..
They stopped coming almost overnight. It was a very humane action, because so many of them perished trying to make it across the Indian Ocean to get there.
Predictably, the Grauniad had a fit of the vapours about the whole thing. Unfortunately almost all of the MSM in the UK is now deeply infested with the Grauniad mindset and it has infected the general population.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/29/australia-gulag-votes-aboriginal-concentration-camps
« Last Edit: 11 May 2020, 00:32:51 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2020, 01:31:35 »

Nearest coasts to both are a few thousand miles ... ours is around 20  ... population of New Zealand .. around 5 million .. .. population of Australia .. 24 million  population of London alone ??   around 10 million ..

so lets continue to compare apples to water melons ... yup .. they are both edible fruits.... I think thats about it ..

What's the distance from coasts got to do with it?  Haven't you heard of aeroplanes?  ???  Hold on... Didn't you used to work for the RAF?  :P  ;D

As to population size, I can't see what that has to do with anything either?  I bet that more people enter the UK on a daily basis than OZ/NZ combined.  So even more reason to close the borders!  ::)

Apparently, even now around 15,000 people a day are entering the UK from all over the world.  They don't face any sort of health checks or controls and are allowed to disperse off into the community.  The UK is the only country in the world not to have any sort of health checks for arrivals or Covid-19 related border controls and we have the second highest death rate.  ::)

Go figure....

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2020, 01:40:07 »

It's the southern hemispheres summer. Their 'flu' rates typically lag the northern hemisphere by 6 months or so.

NZ has had 1144 confirmed cases and 21 deaths.
AUS has had 6927 confirmed cases and 97 deaths.

So neither country "kept the virus from arriving on its shores". And in a years time their rates will be similar to the rest of the developed world.

No it's not, it's late autumn....  ::)

OZ/NZ might not have stopped the virus, but I reckon they have been pretty successful in limiting the opportunity for infected people to enter their countries, which must have contributed to their low infection/death rates so far.

We will see what happens when they open up again.  :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 May 2020, 07:33:55 »

Could it be that the Oz / New Zealand thinking is by then a vaccine will be available?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 May 2020, 09:05:01 »

I thought the message was pretty clear and sensible?

At the moment you can exercise more often but, under the same rules (only with members of your household and maintaining distancing to other), go back to work as and when its safe to do so.

Any further restriction lifting is based on R number

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 May 2020, 09:07:42 »

No it's not, it's late autumn....  ::)

OZ/NZ might not have stopped the virus, but I reckon they have been pretty successful in limiting the opportunity for infected people to enter their countries, which must have contributed to their low infection/death rates so far.

We will see what happens when they open up again.  :-\

Their apparent success is down to the fat the population density is the square root of jack all.

You only need to look at the hot spots in the UK, they are the most densely populated areas with towers blocks and crammed in housing, an ideal transmission ground (it only takes a few idiots in such places and it moves easily, less densely populated and it has minimal impact)  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.