Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Boris' (non) speech  (Read 11291 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Boris' (non) speech
« Reply #45 on: 11 May 2020, 09:08:29 »

I thought the message was pretty clear and sensible?

At the moment you can exercise more often but, under the same rules (only with members of your household and maintaining distancing to other), go back to work as and when its safe to do so.

Any further restriction lifting is based on R number

Exactly it was quite clear to me as well, but so many damn idiots out there can't understand basic advice & quite honestly we are better shot of them , so idiots go party 😁
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11 May 2020, 09:35:48 »

The media got everyone’s hopes up last week with talk of creating social bubbles of 10 people. Opposition parties have pushed, bordered in demanded, an exit strategy, and in general, a lot of people seem to expect/want a detailed and committed plan with an end date. That’s understandable, it’s how the human brain has been conditioned to work, but the level of complete failure to accept how impossible this is to do, without breaking any such plan down the line, is beyond me.

What point is there giving concrete dates and making detailed plans when it could all change as we ease restrictions and see a change to the current situation of infections and deaths? At that point everyone would quickly jump to condemn the planning and say it was all wrong.

I am sure that there will be many eyes on Germany at the moment and that will be guiding decisions, but realistically, all that can be done is have rough plans or target dates, and if all is going well, take the small steps then, if not, push it back a little.

This is essentially what last nights speech detailed, and was not that confusing. There was no order to put yourself at risk to go back to work, rather, if you can, and it’s safe, do. If not, don’t.

Plans for schools returning and everything else will have detail added in coming weeks, as more is known and the situation develops, but why people are up in arms about something that hasn’t even happened, or even been said is going to happen, is beyond me. “May” and “if” does not mean definitely will.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 11 May 2020, 10:00:26 »

No it's not, it's late autumn....  ::)

OZ/NZ might not have stopped the virus, but I reckon they have been pretty successful in limiting the opportunity for infected people to enter their countries, which must have contributed to their low infection/death rates so far.

We will see what happens when they open up again.  :-\

Their apparent success is down to the fat the population density is the square root of jack all.

You only need to look at the hot spots in the UK, they are the most densely populated areas with towers blocks and crammed in housing, an ideal transmission ground (it only takes a few idiots in such places and it moves easily, less densely populated and it has minimal impact)  :y

I think you'll find that the Aussies and Kiwis have their fair share of fatties!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 May 2020, 10:07:27 »

No it's not, it's late autumn....  ::)

OZ/NZ might not have stopped the virus, but I reckon they have been pretty successful in limiting the opportunity for infected people to enter their countries, which must have contributed to their low infection/death rates so far.

We will see what happens when they open up again.  :-\

Their apparent success is down to the fat the population density is the square root of jack all.

You only need to look at the hot spots in the UK, they are the most densely populated areas with towers blocks and crammed in housing, an ideal transmission ground (it only takes a few idiots in such places and it moves easily, less densely populated and it has minimal impact)  :y

Sorry Mark, you'll be thrown out for that .. common sense, fact, and the CORRECT use of statistics is not allowed in this thread ...    :)

STEMO

« Reply #49 on: 11 May 2020, 10:15:41 »

Just got back from my morning outing. Called in Asda for some diesel, and noticed that there was no queue for the shop. Went and had a look and the security guard has gone from the foyer and everyone was just being allowed in. Drove past two other supermarkets on the way home, Aldi and Lidl, no queues. So, either I just happened to visit when no one was shopping, or they've ditched the distancing.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 May 2020, 10:18:11 »

The media thinks it should be declaring policy, not the people in charge.

Ok WeeJimmy doesn't understand the use of the word 'Alert', but fundamentally, she's on the same page. Likewise the Welsh, who don't suddenly want to be infested by a load od diseased city folk.

Like it or not, Northern Ireland will generally do what the Republic does out of necessity due to a lack of physical border.
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11 May 2020, 10:37:33 »

Why not ?

The first confirmed cases in the UK were on Jan 29th. Two Chinese tourists in York. I don't know when they arrived in the UK - anything up to 2 weeks prior to that is possible. The first known UK case was Feb 6th - a Briton returning from Singapore via France. The first known person to catch it within the UK was on Feb 28th. There are reports (don't know how reliable) that the French are re-analysing some deaths in December, and are detecting traces of CV19 in them. If that's true, then CV19 was already established in Europe before Christmas.

Stopping the spread of the virus in the UK would have required shutting the borders by late January - which would requires 20-20 hindsight. And you would need to keep the borders shut till the last case worldwide is diagnosed and cured/recovered/died, otherwise sooner or later someone will enter the UK who has an un-diagnosed case and start spreading it. That would mean keeping the borders shut for 12 months or more.

20-20 hindsight, and shutting down all travel for 12+ months. Yep - Impossible.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 May 2020, 10:42:47 »

Don't rule out the latter :-X

STEMO

« Reply #53 on: 11 May 2020, 11:05:49 »

I see we have reached a reciprocal agreement with France this morning. So that's travellers from Ireland and France who won't have to isolate upon arrival. Anyone else?  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11 May 2020, 11:49:13 »

The borders will be reclosed by June :-X

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11 May 2020, 13:30:13 »

Again , from the internet  ;D ................

"I think I’ve worked it out...

* 4 year olds can go to school, but university students who have paid for the tuition they haven’t had and the accommodation they aren’t living in, can’t go to university.

* A teacher can go to school with many 4 year olds that they are not related to, but can’t see one 4 year old that they are related to.

* You can sit in a park, but not tomorrow or Tuesday but by Wednesday that’ll be fine.

* You can meet one person from another household for a chat or to sunbathe, but not two people so if you know two people from another household you have to pick your favourite. Hopefully, you’re also their favourite person from your household or this could be awkward. But possibly you’re not. But as I can’t go closer than 2m to the one you choose anyway you wouldn’t think having the other one sat next to them would matter - unless two people would restrict your eyeline too much and prevent you from being alert.

* You can work all day with your colleagues, but you can’t sit in their garden for a chat after work.

* You can now do unlimited exercise when quite frankly just doing an hour a day feels like you are some kind of fitness guru. I can think of lots of things that I would like to be unlimited but exercise definitely isn’t one of them.

* You can drive to other destinations, although which destinations is unclear.

* The buses are still running past your house, but you shouldn’t get on one. We should just let empty buses drive around so bus drivers aren’t doing nothing.

* It will soon be time to quarantine people coming into the country by air... but not yet. It’s too soon. And not ever if you’re coming from France because... well, I don’t know why, actually. Because the French version of coronavirus wouldn’t come to the UK maybe.

* Our youngest children go back to school first because... they are notoriously good at not touching things they shouldn’t, maintain personal space at all times and never randomly lick you.

* We are somewhere in between 3.5 and 4.5 on a five point scale where 5 is all of the virus and 1 is none of the virus but 2,3 and 4 can be anything you’d like it to be really. Some of the virus? A bit of the virus? Just enough virus to see off those over 70s who were told to self isolate but now we’ve realised that they’ve done that a bit too well despite us offloading coronavirus patients into care homes and now we are claiming that was never said in the first place, even though it’s in writing in the stay at home guidance.

* The slogan isn’t stay at home any more, so we don’t have to stay at home. Except we do. Unless we can’t. In which case we should go out. But there will be fines if we break the rules. So don’t do that.

Don’t forget...

Stay alert... which Robert Jenrick has explained actually means Stay home as much as possible. Obviously.

Control the virus. Well, I can’t even control my dogs and I can actually see them. Plus I know a bit about dogs and very little about controlling viruses.

Save lives. Always preferable to not saving lives, I’d say, so I’ll try my best with that one, although hopefully I don’t need telling to do that. I know I’m bragging now but not NOT saving lives is something I do every day.

So there you are. If you’re the weirdo wanting unlimited exercise then enjoy. But not until Wednesday. Obviously.
"

STEMO

« Reply #56 on: 11 May 2020, 14:38:00 »

Very good  ;D

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 May 2020, 15:25:45 »

A bit more detail/context

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/884171/FINAL_6.6637_CO_HMG_C19_Recovery_FINAL_110520_v2_WEB__1_.pdf

There’s been consultation across business groups to work out what ‘Covid secure’ looks like and I would expect that a lot of employers with returning workers will have been working to implement changes to try and keep as much safety as possible, however, it’s a moving target so I would expect things to evolve over the next weeks.

Schools have several weeks to prepare and consider how they will meet the aim of a partial opening - I would expect if they turn around and say they can’t deliver it and be Covid secure, they won’t open and it will be rethought.

Once they publish what Covid secure looks like this week then I’d imagine it’ll be pretty clear (to some people) what the picture looks like and the different possibilities of how this will play out for the rest of the year.

As a side note, it’s much easier to deliver online lessons to university students than a load of 5 year olds, and I’d expect by the time schools start to return there will be more contact allowed socially with family and small groups of friends.
I’d also say that the government is making policies around who you can and can’t see in the knowledge people will be liberal with how they follow it. I don’t expect there to be strong enforcement except for blatant flouting, and I would expect nothing more from the government - this way they have a defence if it blows up again - we told you just one person per household, but you didn’t listen, now look....
Common sense and assumption of personal risk and responsibility should still be a thing the public practices.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11 May 2020, 15:28:34 »

Just about sums it up Dave...well put...you should be running the show  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 May 2020, 17:31:51 »

Secondly there are those who seem to understand the risks and consequences, and are prepared to make their own decisions to suit their own circumstances using their common sense.
As I've been banging on for years, they are a minority now, long overtaken by the stupid.

That fact is born out by the disappointment for large numbers expecting a return to normallity, when its blatantly obvious what are new normality for at least the rest of 2020 will be.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.