Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which windscreen ?  (Read 6414 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Which windscreen ?
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2018, 21:07:50 »

Autoshite is a pretty good forum actually.  :)
http://autoshite.com/

Sorry to hear the problems your having Alnico. The fitter who did mine did quite a bit of grumbling about the t wats in the office.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2018, 09:18:05 »

Getting a bit stressed out by this Autoglass shambles now .  They called me this afternoon saying the screen has been identified & ordered  today  . . .but they cannot tell me when it will  br in stock & available to fit  :o :o

Probably gonna call insurance company tomorrow & try & get a different company to do it  >:( >:(

would i recommed Autoshite ?   NO . . .NEVER !

Still no nearer getting my screen fitted by this shower of bumbling idiots. Apparently the screen was delivered to their stock on Friday  . . .but today (monday)   they can't locate it  :o :o :o. Admin at this company is unbelievably poor. >:( >:( >:(

I tried going down the "another company" route but cost is limited to £200 if that happens . It's been 16 days now . 

Going to call insurance company to see if I can get the excess waived for all the delay & messing about.
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2018, 12:11:37 »

Autoglass cannot do it for another 2 weeks   :o :o. . . .no appointments available  ::) ::) ::)

What an absolute shower that company is  >:( >:( >:(   everyones fault but theirs it seems   ::) ::)

Have got on to insurers and they have agreed to let Auto Windscreens do it  :y

Much better customer service it seems  . . .but still waiting of confirmation of when they can do it  ::) ::)

Can't be any worse than Autoglass . . .can they ?   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2018, 12:42:01 »

You'll get the appointment once they have a screen in stock...  ::)

The £200 limit is because they don't get their kickback... Ignore the limit as it's a hollow threat. Last independent quote I had for a regular Omega screen was £150 or so.

Even a genuine GM one is only just over £200.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2018, 13:00:57 »

Autoglass cannot do it for another 2 weeks   :o :o. . . .no appointments available  ::) ::) ::)

What an absolute shower that company is  >:( >:( >:(   everyones fault but theirs it seems   ::) ::)

Have got on to insurers and they have agreed to let Auto Windscreens do it  :y

Much better customer service it seems  . . .but still waiting of confirmation of when they can do it ::) ::)

Can't be any worse than Autoglass . . .can they ?   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Auto windscreens much better at customer relations than Autoglass IMO.

could have had it done next Monday  . . .but want it done on a Saturday when i'm here.... so next available sat appointment is  . .  .13th October    :o :o    so just agreed to that in the hope I may eventually get it done   :'( :'( :'(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2018, 13:04:57 »

You can hardly criticise them then ::)

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2018, 17:13:40 »

I was successful in getting my excess refunded when Autoglass arrived with wrong glass first and then when the fitter told them what to order, the new screen arrived but with pattern "goalposts" , the metal runners along top of screen and down both A pillars hence the goalpost shape. The rubbers worked loose and flapped on first motorway run. Fitter agreed the rubber couldn't be fitted snugly into the pattern runners. I insisted on GM ones and when they were fitted with the GM windscreen all was good.
Quite a few firm but polite e-mails got me what I wanted.
Good luck.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2018, 00:19:29 »

I was successful in getting my excess refunded when Autoglass arrived with wrong glass first and then when the fitter told them what to order, the new screen arrived but with pattern "goalposts" , the metal runners along top of screen and down both A pillars hence the goalpost shape. The rubbers worked loose and flapped on first motorway run. Fitter agreed the rubber couldn't be fitted snugly into the pattern runners. I insisted on GM ones and when they were fitted with the GM windscreen all was good.
Quite a few firm but polite e-mails got me what I wanted.
Good luck.
This is pretty much my Autoglass experience.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2018, 07:31:48 »

Agreed, mine too. Took 3 attempts to get a new screen earlier this year. First one was a clear screen - no tint at all, second time was the right screen but with one of the mounting sections missing despite me telling the staff to ensure that all pieces were present. Apparently they did but the warehouse staff don't read what they write. Third time it went in.

However this summer I nearly lost the trim finisher whilst in the outside lane of the motorway. Crack bang flappy flappy noise but still attached by the bottom 12" on the nearside.

Pulled across, slowed to 58mph where the pressure equalises above and below the strip as it was dangling along the car, wound window down and pulled it in. Completed journey, straightened it out and have now lightly glued it in place. Probably worthwhile for everyone to do something similar if autoglass have fitted the screen.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2018, 07:48:20 »

Sounds like I got the one decent Autoglass fitter in the country.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 September 2018, 07:57:39 »

Gluing the trim is all well and good, right up to the point when the screen needs replacing...  ::)

The primary two reasons that the trim comes of are:

1. The frame is a new pattern one and the rubber is original.
2. The screen isn't fitted properly, ie not seated at the correct depth into the body, either too high allowing air underneath it or too deep preventing the rubber from fitting correctly.

Genuine frames and a competent fitter are what's required  ;)
« Last Edit: 18 September 2018, 08:01:28 by Doctor Gollum »

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2018, 18:08:42 »

These last few posts are starting to make me feel like this is not going to go right at all  :o

Can any of you fine gents post up a list  of exactly what they should be suppling so that I can check they have it all when they turn up .

Or even  . .get one step ahead & TELL them what they should be suppling before they attend  ;) ;)

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2018, 22:06:45 »

My saga was n August 2016. I tried digging out the old e-mails but the parts diagram from Karl in parts dept at Lookers Vauxhall, Yardley tel 0121 700 7703, was missing. What is referred to in my e-mail was ensuring part numbers 1-7 inclusive were sent out with the tinted screen and new rubbers. ( maybe the rubbers were included in those numbers, can't remember )
My contact at Autoglass who was attentive and most importantly, listened, was David Denton in Cardington, Beds. He used to be a fitter and knew what I was talking about. Nice man. Good, old fashioned customer service.

If he's still there he can be contacted on david.denton@autoglass.co.uk

My car is a 2.6 V6 petrol saloon index KC03 GNU, just on the off chance that they have a copy of all the bits ordered for mine. If they want my name etc, lease pm me. ( my name isn't Paddy Flannery )

2 years later, the screen is still nice and snug in the frame.

Please let me know how you get on and good luck. In my saga, it was worth insisting on genuine parts and David Denton didn't question it, he went ahead and asked Vauxhall Yardley to send the diagram to me via him and asked me to list the parts I needed.

« Last Edit: 18 September 2018, 22:09:20 by Paddy Flannery »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2018, 22:34:53 »

7 parts would be the 4 frame pieces, two rubber pieces and the screen... effectively a complete screen assembly :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2018, 22:36:11 »

When I had mine done a few years ago, as said earlier, I insisted on a genuine Vauxhall screen, genuine rubbers (the top and sides are one, and the lower base trim above the scuttle). Vauxhall used their own independent windscreen firm whom I guess was used to Vauxhall screens (as well as other franchises he fitted for). The result was a correctly positioned screen, so that when the rubbers were clipped into the plastic retainer around the screen, the rubbers were a nice snug fit (didn't stand up at both top corners). And they remained in place at motorway speeds.
I paid the bill, and then claimed it all back less my excess from the insurance.
You obviously have to get them to OK it before you go ahead, otherwise they may decline to pay...
Plus it was a lot cheaper (about half the cost) buying my own screen and rubbers from Vauxhall plus their £50 fitting fee, than the figure initially quoted by Autoglass had it not been covered by insurance.
I know what I would be doing in your position.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.