Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: omega gearbox problems  (Read 1619 times)

Peter Wilkes

• Lighidioter
    • vauxall omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
omega gearbox problems
« on: 16 April 2018, 11:25:47 »

Hi, Last week my Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 auto gearbox started slipping and the quotes for a new one is circa £2500 is this price correct or is there hope yet ?  My pride and joy is starring at the scrapyard.  This forum is its last chance stay of execution, can anyone help in any way please ?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: omega gearbox problems
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2018, 11:36:11 »

Someone will be along shortly to advise, but I would be surprised if a second hand unit from a scrappers (or possibly a forum member) would set you back about 5% of that quoted price.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2018, 12:11:26 »

You any good with the spanners?

First port of call is to check the fluid level of the gearbox, bet you it's low! Get some Dex III auto-transmission oil, eg something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/172989260027?chn=ps&adgroupid=54713418609&rlsatarget=pla-411723800790&abcId=1133926&adtype=pla&merchantid=101474286&poi=&googleloc=1006472&device=c&campaignid=1057752920&crdt=0

Take car for a drive, get it up to temp, then go home jackup one side and pop some oil in. It should be level to the plug when warm, so when you drop it back down make sure something is underneath to catch extra oil you might put in as some will seep out. Or if you have access to a ramp etc, get them to top oil up with oil hot.

Then re-test, the Omega gearboxes on petrols are near bomb proof and should be easy for 300k with only fluid change.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2018, 12:16:18 »

If Tunnie's suggestion doesn't work (I bet it will!), someoe on here (cannot remember who) is offering a gearbox for £75, but you would need to collect it.
I'm sure that someone with a better memory than me will supply the name/posting title soon.....

Ron.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2018, 13:37:42 »

If Tunnie's suggestion doesn't work (I bet it will!), someoe on here (cannot remember who) is offering a gearbox for £75, but you would need to collect it.
I'm sure that someone with a better memory than me will supply the name/posting title soon.....

Ron.

Robseys, got one for sale, in the relavent section.
Hoof'land storeman.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2018, 15:33:47 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90508.0

Use the guide for topping up here if in doubt. :y

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2018, 16:37:40 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90508.0

Use the guide for topping up here if in doubt. :y
Now come on, Chris, that's no kind of answer from a man who's stripped and modified one.  ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2018, 18:12:49 »

I wish! I only got halfway through before I sold it. :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2018, 18:44:30 »

Before buying any ATF, check level first. If its around right (use a bent bit of wire, if none comes out, to check level), don't bother pissing around with it, and get a 2nd hand known good box.  I wouldn't pay more than about £50 for an AR25 box.

Fitting is a pain, I'd say, having some a few with help, its only just achievable using jacks and stands.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2018, 19:13:38 »

Before buying any ATF, check level first. If its around right (use a bent bit of wire, if none comes out, to check level), don't bother pissing around with it, and get a 2nd hand known good box.  I wouldn't pay more than about £50 for an AR25 box.

Fitting is a pain, I'd say, having some a few with help, its only just achievable using jacks and stands.

And if possible fit an AR35, (straight swap) which are more robust. I think there was one on sale on OOF recently if required.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2018, 19:21:33 »

And if possible fit an AR35, (straight swap) which are more robust. I think there was one on sale on OOF recently if required.
Not absolutely necessary on a 2.6 or smaller petrol.  Required on 2.5 diesel, and the 3.0/3.2.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.