Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Broadband extension  (Read 2725 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Broadband extension
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2018, 16:46:12 »

AutoAddict - that needs a cable between hubs, which Terbs said is difficult.  In addition, if you had a cable, you wouldn't bother anyway, unless you needed a wider WiFi range (in which case, adjust router settings and/or replace router).

A Wifi link is possible, but suspect Terbs will have same issues I have (as will have to be 2.4Ghz if opposite ends of house), but I'd use a dedicated, proper Wifi bridge, not ISP provided routers.

I use a power line adaptor, and as I had a spare HHub 5 it makes an excellent wifi extender for both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

Main router is upstairs, the extender is downstairs.

I have perfect wifi coverage now all over the house - cheap way of doing it.
But Terbs only wants a single connection to a single PC ;).  If power line adapters work for him, no point messing with the 2nd hub ;).

When I get back to Blighty, I shaw pop and see Terbs, and try a few things to see what works for him :)
Grumpy old man

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 October 2018, 23:00:14 »

The Powerline and similar mains adapters work well when both ends are on the same ring-main but performance drops off if the circuit crosses an MCB. Even worse if crossing an RCD or RCBO. Noisy appliances on the ring will also cause interference and a performance drop.

A point to point Ethernet cable will give the best performance.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2018, 21:31:28 »

Sorry to 'bump' this topic, if that is the correct terminology nowadays. Its just an update to say Jamie (TB) brought a couple of wifi extenders round for me to try. The one I plugged in downstairs is a 'through plug' unit, and the one upstairs is a 'BT Hotspot' unit. They work fantastically.....we have full wifi in all rooms. On this computer I get 60mb and upstairs there is a drop, but it it still 40mb, more than enough to watch BBC iplayer, etc.
Thanks Jamie, you are a star. I'll get some now, and pop yours back in a few days, before we go tin tenting. :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.