Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: House of Lords Petition  (Read 1650 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
House of Lords Petition
« on: 24 April 2018, 17:12:26 »

Give the electorate a referendum on the abolition of the House of Lords

The House of Lords is a place of patronage where unelected and unaccountable individuals hold a disproportionate amount of influence and power which can be used to frustrate the elected representatives of the people.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/209433

I've signed it along with 109,000+ other people. IMO time to get rid of these unelected fossils and 'has been' politicians and replace it with some sort of elected chamber. Now we have a House of Commons on fixed terms maybe also have the House of Lords also on a fixed 5 year term with a mid-election 2.5 years after the start of a new parliament following a general election using proportional representation? If for some reason the House of commons is shortened, then make the Lords the same length so it remains a mid-term election. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: House of Lords Petition
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2018, 17:33:28 »

Signed a few days ago.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2018, 19:40:02 »

While I sympathise with the sentiment behind this, at the moment the Lords, however constructed, is the only check on any bill (legal) coming from the lower house, so the alternative is more elected politicos, and we know what they're like!  >:(

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2018, 20:58:17 »

While I sympathise with the sentiment behind this, at the moment the Lords, however constructed, is the only check on any bill (legal) coming from the lower house, so the alternative is more elected politicos, and we know what they're like!  >:(

I have to agree . . . . kind of. Regardless of who they are and where they come from, they seem to do a reasonable job of double-checking parliament.

Right, I've said my bit, so where's my peerage ?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2018, 21:44:35 »

All they do is hold up the proceedings as, when the bills are sent back to the commons, they can just ignore the lords. A bit of a pointless exercise.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2018, 22:05:17 »

I fully support a fully elected Upper House that properly represents the regions.  :y

However, to be eligible for election the potential candidates would have to be at least 40 years old and would have to have had a successful career, trade, or profession in a field unrelated to politics or the media. IE they would have had to have worked out there in the real world!  ;)

The other thing is that the new elected Upper House should be cut down to size, ie not more than 300 members.  I believe that the House of Lords is the second biggest parliamentary chamber in the world after China's National People's Congress?  Ridiculous!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2018, 22:21:58 »

For a two-house parliament to work, each house must be elected by a different method. Our upper house is appointed - which is unusual - and doing that for life means they should be less affected by a need to be re-elected.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2018, 22:25:11 »

I fully support a fully elected Upper House that properly represents the regions.  :y

However, to be eligible for election the potential candidates would have to be at least 40 years old and would have to have had a successful career, trade, or profession in a field unrelated to politics or the media. IE they would have had to have worked out there in the real world!  ;)

The other thing is that the new elected Upper House should be cut down to size, ie not more than 300 members.  I believe that the House of Lords is the second biggest parliamentary chamber in the world after China's National People's Congress?  Ridiculous!  ::)

I would like to see something like this in place for MP's, and wrote suggesting it to my MP many years ago. Obviously with no effect since she is a no hope greasy pole climber. :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2018, 09:51:43 »

For a two-house parliament to work, each house must be elected by a different method. Our upper house is appointed - which is unusual - and doing that for life means they should be less affected by a need to be re-elected.

And therein lies the problem. They are completely unaccountable, so they - being unelected, are currently determined to wreck / overturn, the biggest democratic vote in the history of the country. I don't see how any right thinking person, regardless of their views on Brexit, could think this is ok.
The lords nowadays is stuffed full of cronies, arse lickers, party donors, and failed has been politicians. It has been totally corrupted in recent times, and imo now needs to be replaced with something better.
From memory the Libdems (who have always believed in abolition of The Lords) have 8 members of Parliament but have over 100 people sitting in the Lords.
That's just wrong.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2018, 14:55:26 »

You have to hand it to the Communists... They certainly know how to arrange a management committee.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2018, 21:54:26 »

You have to hand it to the Communists... They certainly know how to arrange a management committee.

Not difficult when dissenters are handled by TB's cousin with his AK47. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.