Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Condensing versus Combi  (Read 2390 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Condensing versus Combi
« on: 06 October 2018, 17:21:28 »

Hi....after 45 years in the last house with condensing boilers, and no water meter to contend with, I now find myself metered and with a Combi boiler.
I may be wrong, but I thought these things were supposed to be energy/water savers !!!.  The distance from the boiler in the landing cupboard, to the bathroom, is no different as was the hot water tank to the bathroom in Wycombe. However, the amount of water that goes down the plughole, before any semblance of hot water appears is huge, over a handbasin full. Is this normal !!!! ???
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Condensing versus Combi
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2018, 17:33:02 »

You mean Conventional v Combi Tony. All boilers that are about 10 years old and under should be condensing, whether they heat a tank of water or supply hot water directly to the taps.  ;)

The difference with a Combi is that you turn the tap on, wait for the boiler to realise that it needs to fire up, then wait for it to get hot enough to heat the water and then you wait for that hot water to arrive at the tap. With a conventional system, the water is already hot in the tank, so you just wait for it to arrive at the tap.  :)

Catch the water in a bucket and use it to flush the toilet.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2018, 17:35:18 »

Combi's are the work of Satin.  The previous owner was clearly retarded, as those houses were built with a traditional heating system.

Combis only work for pikeys and those who live alone and are patient.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2018, 17:47:39 »

combi boilers have to heat up the heat exchanger and all the pipe from cold to the tap you turn on ,
if you have old thick copper 22mm 3/4" pipe to bath taps etc, it takes a while
one advantage of plastic pipe for hot runs avoids this
depending on your boiler ,some have a "comfort mode" that keeps the boiler warm for speedy supply of warm water. worth checking if yours has  :-\
downside to pre warming comfort mode is it uses gas
if you plan a new bathroom or other plumbing ,you could fit insulated hot water plastic pipe work  :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2018, 18:11:09 »

Catch it in a bucket, Steve.....we are talking the bathroom sink !!!!!! This is the 21st century, we should not have to do that (although I see the gist)
This house was built in 1998, so only 20 years old. How long do boilers last, if this had a 'conventional' boiler to start with. We only had two in 45years at Wycombe !!! We had immersion heater first. Only changed to a boiler when we had the kitchen redone.
So I take it Combi's are a retrograde step. Will have to see how the bills work out.
What do you think the water useage per month should be, for two old codgers. ;) Should also add a washer/drier machine, and dishwasher.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2018, 18:13:40 by terbert »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2018, 18:15:16 »

Condensing Combi boilers are shite Tony and I'd be surprised if it's over 10 years old.  :-\

If it's not, plan on replacing it when it inevitably shits itself at about 8-10 years old.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2018, 18:32:26 »

Combi boilers are fine if correctly sized,piped,used
and if band A 90% + efficient
a 30 kw combi would be plenty good enough for a couple living in a 3 bed semi
(assuming it's properly insulated ,double glazing etc)
water is cheap ,even if your on a meter ,so running a bit till warm water comes is peanuts . gas is not cheap, so having a tank of piping hot water 24/7 (conventional boiler or system boiler) uses gas
if the hot water tank is well positioned,insulated etc ,it can act as a heat store and  keep the house warm (so not all the heat loss is bad from the tank)
what ever boiler you have,with rising energy costs ,keeping the heat IN is where you should spend money ,so you can SAVE money  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2018, 18:36:45 »

My combi has a 'comfort' setting on it, which means hot water is permanently available. But.....I would imagine the only way it could do this is to constantly use gas to keep the water hot. I don't use this setting as I don't have a water meter.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2018, 19:10:39 »

Terbs, living in a semi... That'll never wash :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2018, 23:39:40 »

This house was built in 1998, so only 20 years old. How long do boilers last, if this had a 'conventional' boiler to start with. We only had two in 45years at Wycombe !!!
Because the gullible fall for the energy efficiency bullshit...  ...not helped by the fact those houses are Bryant I believe, and they used Potterton Suprimas then.

What do you think the water useage per month should be, for two old codgers. ;) Should also add a washer/drier machine, and dishwasher.
Probably less than water rates if you don't have a pool in the back garden, or have the sprinklers on regularly
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2018, 08:20:40 »

Combis are the work of plumbers with little understanding and logic.

Great in a small flat or two bed but, bloody rubbish in anything bigger and they are less reliable.

I cant decide if the gas fitters (they are so not engineers!) like the extra work, repair and weigh in for the hot water cylinder or are just plain stupid and brain washed by the combi manufacturers

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2018, 10:28:00 »

Catch it in a bucket, Steve.....we are talking the bathroom sink !!!!!! This is the 21st century, we should not have to do that (although I see the gist)
This house was built in 1998, so only 20 years old. How long do boilers last, if this had a 'conventional' boiler to start with. We only had two in 45years at Wycombe !!! We had immersion heater first. Only changed to a boiler when we had the kitchen redone.
So I take it Combi's are a retrograde step. Will have to see how the bills work out.

We are the same, and use 76 cubic meters per annum, which seems a lot to me. We only use a shower, but have the other stuff, and a fish pond to top up occasionally. :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2018, 12:04:04 »

We are the same, and use 76 cubic meters per annum, which seems a lot to me. We only use a shower, but have the other stuff, and a fish pond to top up occasionally. :y

Had my first bill in, and it looks on par to yours, mate :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2018, 12:07:38 »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes we are detached.......is there any other way to live in Brackley ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2018, 14:05:24 »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes we are detached.......is there any other way to live in Brackley ;D ;D

Detached from the ground, so I've heard. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.