Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The next nationwide OOF meet?  (Read 7799 times)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
The next nationwide OOF meet?
« on: 30 June 2007, 21:55:12 »

I met up with Jody (Nemesis_v6) at Woolacombe today and we got around to discussing another big nationwide meet following the success of the Lakes. We said how good it would be to have one in Woolacombe as it's such a good ideal place for a meet. Anyway, ex-Mrs bob.dent said there was an excellent camp site aimed at adults situated about a mile away from the seafront, so we went to check it out and it really is superb - absolutely ideal for an OOF meet. Its set in the Devon hills above Woolacombe and is about a mile walk down to the fantastic Woolacombe beach where all sorts of activities take place but the main one being surfing. There's a great pub/restaurant overlooking the beach and a couple of other good pubs and amusement arcade nearby. The camp site is called Europa Park which you can check out at www.europapark.co.uk . They cater for tents, caravans, camper vans and also offer their own log cabins for rent, and plenty of electric hook ups. We also spoke to the site manager and said we were thinking of planning an OOF meet there and he said we would be more than welcome as they cater mainly for adults and groups (although children are welcome) and said he would even give us a special group rate. They also have a clubhouse on site with an excellent bar/restaurant and pool tables. Anyway, here are a few pics I took this afternoon (click on thumbnails for larger picture).

One of nemesis_v6, me and youngest son Tim

Ok, so who's up for it? I know it's a bit of a trek for those of you further North and in Bonnie Scotland but if we make it a 3 day event I reckon it'll be well worth it :y :y
« Last Edit: 30 June 2007, 22:04:36 by bob.dent »
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: The next nationwide OOF meet?
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2007, 22:15:53 »

I think distance may put off a lot of people.... ...its about 4 - 5hrs for me, so 8 - 9 for the north england lads, and 12hrs + for the scots....
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2007, 22:18:15 »

i'd be up for that if its just for the drinks offer!  :D

Yep, depending on dates i'd go to another. This time I will take the 2.2 to a meet, its not been to one yet apart from the one here at Brackley.

Looks like a great site  :y

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2007, 22:31:11 »

I like the look of the "All you can eat breakfast" £4.95  :y

Woolacombe is 7 hours from Dundee.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2007, 22:32:53 »

I think distance may put off a lot of people.... ...its about 4 - 5hrs for me, so 8 - 9 for the north england lads, and 12hrs + for the scots....

Those times must be in your tractor TB   ;)

Ive done Bristol to Glasgow in 6 hours before....

But do agree its a bit far if you live in Scotland......

But would be up for it Bob from where i live  :y

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2007, 22:33:32 »

The sign outside says £5.00 the one in the bar says £4.95  mmmmmm
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2007, 22:37:49 »

Oi Bob.....change the poll so you can select more than one date  :y

Tried to click on two dates....it wont let me  :(

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2007, 22:45:49 »

Ok, done. Why would you want to select more than one date though? :-?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2007, 23:19:53 »

Would certainly be easier for us if it was during the school hols for the sake of t'other half.  Our schools go back on 20th August this year so voted for the weekend immediately beforehand.....

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2007, 23:21:39 »

Looks a really good place. Have cast my vote. Lovely part of the country and only 6 hours from St Austell.

Bloody caravans  >:( >:(
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2007, 23:37:40 »

Not really central though is it  ::)

Maybe we should meet in Stratford.  More central and we can educate people about Shakespeare.  Obviously needs to be done after Brian on BB.  :o ;D ;D
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2007, 00:06:55 »

Not a bad trip - about 3 hours for me

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2007, 00:07:29 »

Not really central though is it  ::)

Maybe we should meet in Stratford.  More central and we can educate people about Shakespeare.  Obviously needs to be done after Brian on BB.  :o ;D ;D

Day trip for me!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2007, 00:18:58 »

I'd be up for it. Be good to get down that part of the world again. As my best man reminded me during his speech we did the journey from Camberley in a shade over 2 hours once in an MG Montego when we were 17 and stupid! Oh, happy, happy pre-GATSO days  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2007, 02:13:37 »

Looks a really good place. Have cast my vote. Lovely part of the country and only 6 hours from St Austell.

6 hours from St Austell??!! :-? is that by pedal bike? :o

From st Austell should be about 2 hours tops......... and thats following a tractor!! ::) ;D

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2007, 02:25:28 »

The sign outside says £5.00 the one in the bar says £4.95  mmmmmm

So £0.05 makes all the difference then ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2007, 10:49:38 »

From st Austell should be about 2 hours tops......... and thats following a tractor!! ::) ;D
Oi! My tractor has found a new turn of speed  >:(
Grumpy old man

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2007, 16:03:30 »

Sounds like fun. I'm up for it etc.

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2007, 16:36:05 »

Oi! My tractor has found a new turn of speed  >:([/quote]

down hill with a following force 10 gale? :-X

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2007, 18:28:53 »

6 hours from St Austell??!! :-? is that by pedal bike? :o

Well, it's 102 miles from St Austell to Woolacombe, we will be towing the caravan and as TheBoy will tell you, caravans don't go faster than 20 mph. So, allowing for a stop for a cuppa in a layby full of chippings and one more to adjust the curtains and the nodding dog and those really cool sticky out mirrors I think six hours is on the tight side.

In fact, I think we had better leave the day before just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, out of preference, we would prefer to Devon to Wales. When I say we, I haven't told the wife yet. In fact I haven't told her about my online affair yet with OOF :-[
« Last Edit: 01 July 2007, 18:29:53 by martin_saint »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2007, 11:20:13 »

I`d have to pass on that as we have a particularly busy summer - it would need to be "later" for me....its a good 4 hour drive also from Glasgow... ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

nemesis_v6

• tiverton devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2007, 02:52:50 »

i.ve cast my vote looking forward to meeting some of you peeps bob the 3 day idea is exealent never thought of that

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2007, 06:16:45 »

Ok, done. Why would you want to select more than one date though? :-?

Cheers Bob  :y Coz i dont mind really but prefer either of the 2 dates in Sept

Martin_1962

« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2007, 18:06:02 »

West Cornwall to Woolacombe is a pants route took 4 hours when I last did it (NOT towing)

Stratford is about 45 minutes for me, Monmouth roughly an hour.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2007, 18:13:30 »

monmouth is about hour and half, woolacombe around 4.  I think there is a real problem with the woolacombe one due to location - its about on the limit for me, others will think its just too far...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2007, 18:44:01 »

monmouth is about hour and half, woolacombe around 4.  I think there is a real problem with the woolacombe one due to location - its about on the limit for me, others will think its just too far...

Think you're right, woolacombe for anyone from south midlands up is a long way for a weekend  :-/

Martin_1962

« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2007, 19:11:44 »

Think you're right, woolacombe for anyone from south midlands up is a long way for a weekend  :-/

I won't go past Taunton towing unless Easter or longer. Too expensive and too long for a weekend.

Woolacombe for a week is nice, we like Nort Morte Farm and aslo the Red Barn was nice last time we went

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2007, 20:45:02 »

Wherever it is, it is worth bearing in mind that practically all of the suggested dates are in the school summer holidays and prices and availability will be affected by this.

There are a number of members in the southwest who would find access to places like The Lake District or the southeast / East Anglia challenging. Within reason, we are happy to travel but it is the same distance north as it is south. I think north Devon is a pig to get to because you spend so long off the motorway to get anywhere. South Devon is a lot easier as it's only just over an hour from Bristol maybe 90 minutes towing a van. if that's still too far, how about somewhere like Brean or Burnham on Sea which is not bad for families and bigger sites have club houses with entertainment etc.

Sorry if I have opened things up again but there appears to be some concern over the already proposed venues.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2007, 20:50:19 »

Lovely location and probably chance of good weather but having travelled down to Torquay this year it's just too far for a weekend.  :-/
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 July 2007, 21:08:48 »

Wherever it is, it is worth bearing in mind that practically all of the suggested dates are in the school summer holidays and prices and availability will be affected by this.

There are a number of members in the southwest who would find access to places like The Lake District or the southeast / East Anglia challenging. Within reason, we are happy to travel but it is the same distance north as it is south. I think north Devon is a pig to get to because you spend so long off the motorway to get anywhere. South Devon is a lot easier as it's only just over an hour from Bristol maybe 90 minutes towing a van. if that's still too far, how about somewhere like Brean or Burnham on Sea which is not bad for families and bigger sites have club houses with entertainment etc.

Sorry if I have opened things up again but there appears to be some concern over the already proposed venues.
My own view is that Devon is too far for a big meet - simply many would not be prepared to travel that far for a weekend. Therefore, you would not get too many people who would/could make it, even from midlands area.  Obviously, the reverse is true, hence we didn't expect too many at the England v Scotland (Lakes) from way south.  We have to use locations, I reckon, that as many people as possible can make it.

I suspect most are prepared to drive for up to 2 - 3 hrs, which is always going to make it diificult for the Cornish, Kent, East Anglian, West Wales, and North Scotland members.

Around Bristol should include all the West Country folks, Midlands Mob, Welsh, Bournemouth etc, London, etc.  Obviously Bristol isn't necessarily the most picturesque location, but the Wye Valley isn't too far unless right in the depths of Western Cornwall.

The Western Devon location is going to cover all of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset etc, but possibly not much further  :-/

What do others think?
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 July 2007, 21:25:29 »

My own view is that Devon is too far for a big meet - simply many would not be prepared to travel that far for a weekend. Therefore, you would not get too many people who would/could make it, even from midlands area.  Obviously, the reverse is true, hence we didn't expect too many at the England v Scotland (Lakes) from way south.  We have to use locations, I reckon, that as many people as possible can make it.

I suspect most are prepared to drive for up to 2 - 3 hrs, which is always going to make it diificult for the Cornish, Kent, East Anglian, West Wales, and North Scotland members.

Around Bristol should include all the West Country folks, Midlands Mob, Welsh, Bournemouth etc, London, etc.  Obviously Bristol isn't necessarily the most picturesque location, but the Wye Valley isn't too far unless right in the depths of Western Cornwall.

The Western Devon location is going to cover all of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset etc, but possibly not much further  :-/

What do others think?

At the end of the day we are not going to be able to cater for every member of the forum  :-/

Martin_1962

« Reply #31 on: 04 July 2007, 21:27:33 »

Not Brean - it is a dump!

Wye valley should be nice

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 July 2007, 21:40:10 »

What do others think?
Just to add my two penneth worth and NOT because i suggested Monmouth, but the Wye Valley is truly breathtaking and i do think it would be more central for many peeps, Devon can be a PITA to get to with traffic etc and is a long way for many, for a weekend. Me i'm not too bothered where the next meet is' as i look forward to getting more involved in the next one, however if we want everyone to get involved and to meet then a central location, i feel, would be better. I dont want to steal Bobs thunder but just airing my own views, and i have to agree with TB. Anyway whenever and wherever i look forward to the next OOF meet.  :y

« Last Edit: 04 July 2007, 21:42:23 by TheBoy »

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 July 2007, 21:48:50 »

PS. Monmouth/ the Wye Valley was only a suggestion and taken only from personal experiance of the area and the centralish location. I dont want to railroad anyone or step on anyones shoes, after all i am still a relative newbie here, although after saying that i do feel very much part of the gang, and cheers  :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 July 2007, 08:02:31 »

Personally 2-3 Hours travelling is tops for me
If I take the kids, any longer is not fair on them
If I don't, I almost want to be closer to home in event of a problem

That said, there will always be lots of small, regional meets, in every corner of the country, just like the 'jocular omegas'
but as there is a lot of distance involved, attendance will be limited.
For the bigger meets, like the lakes, it HAS to be central if you want a good turn out.

Im based in Chester, about 1/2 way down the country, for a weekend, I would probably say not north of Carlisle, South of Bristol or SE of Luton.

Looking forward to the next meet though!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #35 on: 06 July 2007, 07:46:46 »

Any further than the Lakes would be too far for me......took me 5 1/2 hours there (bloody friday afternoon traffic) and 4 hours on the way back......didnt mind tho....good weekend  :y

But then i dont mind driving......as i do all day long anyway  ;D

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 July 2007, 16:10:22 »

Hmmmmm.........point taken about it being a bit too far for members further North and Scotland. I just thought that as the Lakes was a fair way up North for some of us (300 miles for me) a location in the South would be nice (although Woolacombe is still 250 miles for me ::)) I guess we could still do it as more of an area meet as opposed to a national meet. If there's still interest in doing this, it looks like 31st August to 2nd September is the most popular so far, so should we go for it or maybe do it next year?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 July 2007, 19:48:31 »

Hmmmmm.........point taken about it being a bit too far for members further North and Scotland. I just thought that as the Lakes was a fair way up North for some of us (300 miles for me) a location in the South would be nice (although Woolacombe is still 250 miles for me ::)) I guess we could still do it as more of an area meet as opposed to a national meet. If there's still interest in doing this, it looks like 31st August to 2nd September is the most popular so far, so should we go for it or maybe do it next year?
I think the thing is we'll only get one in, so is English/Welsh border, or west Devon going to be the favourite?
Grumpy old man

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 July 2007, 20:00:59 »

wherever,whenever, have Meega will travel

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 July 2007, 20:08:09 »

much as i like Devon seems welsh borders would see more owners ?

nemesis_v6

• tiverton devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 July 2007, 02:39:17 »

i dont mind a little traveling but say about 2 pos 3 hours as have 10 month old daugther how gets bord very quick so devon welsh border dont mind lets sort out a location time and date and lets make it happin captin lol sorry missius likes men in black

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 July 2007, 10:23:31 »

I think the thing is we'll only get one in, so is English/Welsh border, or west Devon going to be the favourite?

Yup , lets get it sorted, Billing is out but i have something up my sleeve for a venue like that for early next year ::) Devon would be nice but a bit too far for most i fear for a weekend  :question so the welsh borders is favourite with me ;) and the 31st August to the 2nd September is also fine, this weekend also avoids the bank holiday :y

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 July 2007, 09:23:22 »

Yup , lets get it sorted, Billing is out but i have something up my sleeve for a venue like that for early next year ::) Devon would be nice but a bit too far for most i fear for a weekend  :question so the welsh borders is favourite with me ;) and the 31st August to the 2nd September is also fine, this weekend also avoids the bank holiday :y
Sounds good to us!  We'll pencil that in.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

amigov6

« Reply #43 on: 09 July 2007, 21:07:42 »

:)Reckon i'd be ok in Wales but Bristol would be a little more accessible for most. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 July 2007, 21:18:22 »

That sounds good to me....
Grumpy old man

miggy

« Reply #45 on: 10 July 2007, 18:45:53 »

Nothing rong with bloody caravans, ask Jeremy Clarkson

:y :y >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 July 2007, 22:39:02 »

As some were made aware at the tidworth meet, I am soon off to Germany for a couple of years to drink them dry of all their nice beer.

I am looking at making a meet before I go so I can say ttfn.   Can you clarify if this one is still going ahead?  It isnt far for me and its looks good for a bit of fishing too  :D

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22 July 2007, 23:02:33 »

As some were made aware at the tidworth meet, I am soon off to Germany for a couple of years to drink them dry of all their nice beer.

I am looking at making a meet before I go so I can say ttfn.   Can you clarify if this one is still going ahead?  It isnt far for me and its looks good for a bit of fishing too  :D

It's been moved to here.

Cheers :)

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22 July 2007, 23:31:59 »

When the date has been offically decided please can we start a new thread  and work from that. Distance no problem to me but dates might be,hey ho will have to check to see if it clashes with my beloved football team at home.Yes i know, i can hear you saying SADDO, but it's in me blood you see, my old mans fault,  ;Dstill aint forgiven him.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 23 July 2007, 09:17:01 »

OK, some confusion here, so thread locked.

This one isn't going ahead, instead somewhere around the Welsh border (south) was agreed, and on last weekend in August (31st and 1st Sept), presuming the area has dried out by then!
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.