Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ryobi 26cc  (Read 2251 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Ryobi 26cc
« on: 05 May 2020, 00:13:48 »

The 2 stroke hedge cutter has been a pain to start over the years. Got it going again today but there is clearly some knack to this but on line videos etc not a great help. After trying off and on during the day I just took the spark plug out and pulled the starter a few times, put plug back and it fired up. Filters clear and new fuel. Can anyone add any info as to why these seem to be such bad starters and any tips?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: Ryobi 26cc
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2020, 08:54:55 »

Think most of these small engine 2 stroke garden tools are a real PITA to start.

I have Stihl Chain Saw/Kamatsu Long Reach Cutter and the Ryobi strimmer and all 3 take an age to fire up .Best advise I can offer is to drain all the remaining fuel at the end of your job and always add new clean fuel each time.Old fuel tends to block the small rubber fuel lines and leave sediment in the filter.Prime several times without ignition to get fuel into carb then hard pulls and it should !!! fire up .

No magic method just luck most of the time but with all 3 I have once they are running and hot they will restart without much effort.I always fit new plug each season and give the air filter and good clean...may be worth replacing fuel filter and checking the fuel lines though

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2020, 10:39:36 »

So the usual full throttle and full choke, pull until it fires and stops, then half choke does not work?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2020, 12:29:17 »

A bit of a pain to start again today - so took plug out - 6 pulls without plug - plug back in and it starts. Problem now is tick over . It wants to stay on full choke and will not idle without or with only light pressure on throttle. Mixture is 50 to 1 - and is new fuel. I have ordered new plug just in case. Really only a lock down project as these days the cordless hedgecutters  with 2 batteries will do the job and have gone to Worx for quite a few other items and very impressed. Will persevere with Ryobi for now and if no joy just get the body only cutter from Worx. Will also avoid the racket the Ryobi makes.

Thanks for input.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2020, 12:34:53 »

I'm quite lucky that throughout the season all of my two stroke tools start and run well but, after being laid up over winter they do sometimes play up until fired up again.
The principle is the same on all of them, tiny carb, a mix of fuel and a spark plug. Unlike most mowers, which have a big enough engine to have a carburettor with a float bowl, two stroke strimmers/saws etc don't have that privilege. All they have is a tiny recess/chamber in the carb moulding with just enough fuel to keep it running. You fill this chamber by priming the carb, the only other thing that keeps the fuel coming after the machine has started is the fuel diaphragm in the carb resonating. If the diaphragm goes stiff/brittle or splits it won't resonate, so the fuel that you have primed in runs out on initial firing. You then keep trying and the plug gets soaked and you end up with arm ache.  ;D
If it fires and then dies, the diaphragm could be the reason, or is it not firing at all to start with? You can sometimes, like I did on one the other day, strip the carb, flex the diaphragm in and out gently between your thumb and finger, and then put it back together again. It start first or second pull from cold every time now. A carb rebuild kit is less than a fiver though and takes around ten minutes to swap out. There is a gauze filter on the inlet of the carb as well so worth checking that if you whip it apart.  :y
The photo shows the fuel metering gasket but there are a couple of others, one with the fuel chamber cover and tiny little flaps  ::), and a general gasket. They are very simplistic carbs to work on.  :y
I would love to sort a drill attachment to start these things when testing but, unlike a mower, the crank is unfortunately the wrong way around to enable this.

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2020, 12:59:36 »

I have a 53cc 2 stroke chainsaw made by Timberpro. Cost about £50 if memory serves and will cut through most things with a good chain.......made in Canada but can't remember the name.

The original chains (2) were made of elastic. :-\

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2020, 15:10:04 »

Just need to find a PacMan carburettor adjustment tool and hopefully that is the issue. Cheers.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2020, 15:24:31 »

Carb tool arrived today. Quarter turn on both adjusters and idling great.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2020, 18:52:10 »

Result then.So new carb is the route you took ?...Might try that on my Stihl MS180 as its a real PITA to start

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2020, 19:23:10 »

No just new carb adjustment tool. Mine was the pacman design. £4.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2020, 19:24:47 »

No just new carb adjustment tool. Mine was the pacman design. £4.
So you've cut all the hedges, right?

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2020, 19:29:57 »

Result then.So new carb is the route you took ?...Might try that on my Stihl MS180 as its a real PITA to start
He just adjusted the air/mixture screws. A PacMan tool (named that because of its shape on the end) is just a special shaped screwdriver for adjusting the recessed air/mixture screws.  :y
I'm yet to see a carb that needed replacing on these tools, regardless of how old they are. There is so little flow rate that nothing really wears out. It's the diaphragm and gaskets that usually break down over time.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2020, 19:31:56 »

He just adjusted the air/mixture screws. A PacMan tool (named that because of its shape on the end) is just a special shaped screwdriver for adjusting the recessed air/mixture screws.  :y
I'm yet to see a carb that needed replacing on these tools, regardless of how old they are. There is so little flow rate that nothing really wears out. It's the diaphragm and gaskets that usually break down over time.
You goin on about your diaphragm again? ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2020, 19:48:51 »

Hedges do not need cutting Steve - this was just a lockdown project to get the ryobi working for when they do need cutting.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2020, 19:50:06 »

Just googled it and thanks guys understand what it is now...might be worth adding to the "armoury" :)

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2020, 20:01:24 »

Hedges do not need cutting Steve - this was just a lockdown project to get the ryobi working for when they do need cutting.
Just checking, can't have you lounging around if hedges need trimming  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.