Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Boris' (non) speech  (Read 11274 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Boris' (non) speech
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2020, 20:31:14 »

The garden centre thing will feature endlessly tomorrow.

Rightly or wrongly folks hopes were raised , six weeks without plants and now more. Only another four weeks and the key twelve weeks for garden centres will be up. Bad time to be a garden centre.

Here is a thought. When someone dies from CV and can reasonably prove it was from going back to work that wasn’t as safe as the employer made out, will they be able to sue? In effect an industrial accident. Will there be a whole swathe of people who have had the bejabbers scared out of them that will claim they cannot work again?

We have had a similar situation in Spain although reversed. The left wing government wanted prudence and continuation of measures. The right wing opposition claim it is unecessary and business needs to be got going again.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2020, 20:33:31 »

I get the idea of quarantine for those arriving in the country by air,but what about those arriving by ferry/the tunnel or have I missed that they aren't operating non-trade services?

Ferries and shuttle are only allowing freight, and UK Nationals,  and persons with legitimate reasons to travel, being enforced on French side.
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2020, 20:35:36 »

The garden centre thing will feature endlessly tomorrow.

Rightly or wrongly folks hopes were raised , six weeks without plants and now more. Only another four weeks and the key twelve weeks for garden centres will be up. Bad time to be a garden centre.

Here is a thought. When someone dies from CV and can reasonably prove it was from going back to work that wasn’t as safe as the employer made out, will they be able to sue? In effect an industrial accident. Will there be a whole swathe of people who have had the bejabbers scared out of them that will claim they cannot work again?

We have had a similar situation in Spain although reversed. The left wing government wanted prudence and continuation of measures. The right wing opposition claim it is unecessary and business needs to be got going again.
It shouldn't be a fight between right and left, although some people who are set in their ways will see it this way. Our government should allow input from both sides of the house and, I believe, this has mainly been happening. Mistakes will be made, that's for sure, but obvious blunders should be culled before being put into practice.
As for law suits, can't see it really. The odd revenge murder, maybe  ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2020, 20:39:44 »

We are just going to carry on as we have done since March 21st , we are quite capable of acting sensibly & responsibly to get through this . No mention of the idiots who were " partying in the parks" yesterday as far as I am concerned we have not all "pulled together" Get the army out & sort the idiots out.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2020, 20:43:12 »

I get the idea of quarantine for those arriving in the country by air,but what about those arriving by ferry/the tunnel or have I missed that they aren't operating non-trade services?

Ferries and shuttle are only allowing freight, and UK Nationals,  and persons with legitimate reasons to travel, being enforced on French side.

Are they checking if you are uk national actually resident in UK.? UK passport, Spanish reg car? I expected the ruling about 14 day self quarantine for all arrivals. I think the government have been very lax there On self quarantine for weeks.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2020, 20:51:46 »

Are they checking if you are uk national actually resident in UK.? UK passport, Spanish reg car? I expected the ruling about 14 day self quarantine for all arrivals. I think the government have been very lax there On self quarantine for weeks.

Just going by what Mates have said who are still doing Euro-work. Fright is exempt from 14 day rule, is allowed free reign, on and off, whoosh gone, Produce still arriving from Spain, and rest of Europe, business as usual.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 20:54:14 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2020, 20:52:48 »

We are just going to carry on as we have done since March 21st , we are quite capable of acting sensibly & responsibly to get through this . No mention of the idiots who were " partying in the parks" yesterday as far as I am concerned we have not all "pulled together" Get the army out & sort the idiots out.

absolutely !
its a pity that you cannot report offenders anonymously too as we most likely all know someone. the sooner everyone takes notice the sooner it will be over .

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2020, 20:56:03 »

We were driving back from the park on VE Day late afternoon. Lots of streets were having parties, flags, bunting, tables of food and drink, music blaring, etc. Not a lot of social distancing going on.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2020, 21:10:44 »

absolutely !
its a pity that you cannot report offenders anonymously too as we most likely all know someone. the sooner everyone takes notice the sooner it will be over .
You can report people breaking lock-down rules
it was on the TV a week or so ago,apparently 200,000 reports  ::)

if you know someone who will put you or your family etc at risk directly then it's worth considering "grassing"
(though technically anyone breaking social distance rules could potentially spread the virus and kill others ,including people you know o even love) 

but police are very busy   :(

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2020, 21:18:06 »

IMV people here have mis-understood the purpose of the lockdown. It is NOT about irradicating the virus - that is and always was impossible. It IS about controlling the rate of spread. They aren't talking about getting to a spread rate of zero. They're talking about keeping it less than 1 - in which case the number of people infected at any one time remains the same.

All the precautions were about avoiding the NHS being overrun with cases to the extent that it became impossible to save people who otherwise might have lived due to lack of capacity. That appears to have been achieved.

The next step is to "allow" the whole population to catch it in controlled numbers - again trying to avoid overloading the NHS - so that herd immunity is reached. Ultimatley that means that the majority of the population have to be exposed to it sooner or later. The vulnerable have already been told to self isolate for 12 weeks. I suspect that'll be extended by another 12 weeks. The "non-vulnerable" have to catch it in sufficient numbers for herd immunity to start working.

Just talked to my sister who works for a very large Pharma company. Their test for CV19 antibodies have now been approved by the NHS. However, so far there is not actually enough evidence one way or the other that presence of the antibodies actually proves immunity to future infections. The belief is that it does, but there is not enough evidence to state that with any certainty yet. If it doesn't then we either lock down for the rest of our lives, or go back to normal and just accept that a certain percentage are going to perish.

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2020, 21:18:40 »

There was a story in a Manchester newspaper, I read it in the Liverpool Echo, one of it's sister papers. Anyhow, it showed two young 'uns, male and female, laughing outside court, where they'd just been fined for holding a house party, telling the police to f**k of and various other misdemeanours. Unfortunately for the lady who reported it, twice, as it started up again after the first visit from the police, she was seen talking to an officer. They made no bones about the fact that they were going to "sort the bitch out".
I'm afraid I'd think twice and ask myself if it was worth it.

Sorry, this looks out of place, should have quoted.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2020, 21:22:06 »

IMV people here have mis-understood the purpose of the lockdown. It is NOT about irradicating the virus - that is and always was impossible. It IS about controlling the rate of spread. They aren't talking about getting to a spread rate of zero. They're talking about keeping it less than 1 - in which case the number of people infected at any one time remains the same.

All the precautions were about avoiding the NHS being overrun with cases to the extent that it became impossible to save people who otherwise might have lived due to lack of capacity. That appears to have been achieved.

The next step is to "allow" the whole population to catch it in controlled numbers - again trying to avoid overloading the NHS - so that herd immunity is reached. Ultimatley that means that the majority of the population have to be exposed to it sooner or later. The vulnerable have already been told to self isolate for 12 weeks. I suspect that'll be extended by another 12 weeks. The "non-vulnerable" have to catch it in sufficient numbers for herd immunity to start working.

Just talked to my sister who works for a very large Pharma company. Their test for CV19 antibodies have now been approved by the NHS. However, so far there is not actually enough evidence one way or the other that presence of the antibodies actually proves immunity to future infections. The belief is that it does, but there is not enough evidence to state that with any certainty yet. If it doesn't then we either lock down for the rest of our lives, or go back to normal and just accept that a certain percentage are going to perish.
Yes, I think most people understand that. I also think a certain amount of people will move from the 'personal responsibility' stage to the 'self preservation' stage about now.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2020, 22:02:58 »

..... I also think a certain amount of people will move from the 'personal responsibility' stage to the 'self preservation' stage about now.
if each person "stays safe" they won't catch Chinese virus
can't infect people if you don't have it

it's still spreading ,so someone ,or many , are not staying safe

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2020, 22:31:50 »

..... I also think a certain amount of people will move from the 'personal responsibility' stage to the 'self preservation' stage about now.
if each person "stays safe" they won't catch Chinese virus
can't infect people if you don't have it

it's still spreading ,so someone ,or many , are not staying safe

You don't understand. It is impossible to stop it spreading. Absolutley impossible. The approach that the Govt is taking is to try and control the rate of spreading, not to stop it spreading.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2020, 22:43:18 »

I've been perusing Facebook, Twitter and watching the news this evening, and it seems that there are 3 types of people in this country at the moment.

Firstly there are those who expect the Government to organise every aspect of this down to the Nth degree and to be told exactly what to do in great detail.

Secondly there are those who seem to understand the risks and consequences, and are prepared to make their own decisions to suit their own circumstances using their common sense.

And then there are the third type who just don't give a toss....
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.