Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BIG fraud  (Read 1161 times)

STEMO

BIG fraud
« on: 17 May 2020, 12:36:53 »

From the NYT:

With states scrambling to pay out unemployment claims to tens of millions of Americans, a vast attack flooding unemployment agencies with fraudulent claims appears to have already siphoned millions of dollars in payments.
Investigators from the Secret Service said that they had information implicating a well-organized Nigerian fraud ring and that stolen information like social security numbers had allowed the network to file claims on behalf of people who in many cases had not lost their jobs.
Most of the fraudulent claims have so far been concentrated in Washington State, but evidence also pointed to similar attacks in Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Wyoming.
The challenge of pre-empting fraudulent claims has increased as the pressure to get money into the hands of unemployed workers has grown. Unemployment offices accustomed to dealing with jobless claims in the thousands have been inundated with over a million claims during recent months in more populous states.
The attacks, which the Secret Service warned could conceivably target every state, could result in “potential losses in the hundreds of millions of dollars,” according to a memo obtained by The New York Times.
The discovery has added to concerns that jury-rigged efforts to rapidly dispense economic relief could be easily exploited by fraudsters. The I.R.S. last month documented losses of at least $16.9 billion because of identity theft as it raced to dole out trillions of dollars in economic stimulus checks.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: BIG fraud
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2020, 12:44:57 »

Just like the UK then
loads of fraudulent claims and people taking advantage of the system  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2020, 13:23:54 »

Damn those Nigerians are good!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2020, 15:12:19 »

They are.

They offered to give me money if I help them.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2020, 15:46:31 »

They are.

Yet again, it is Nigeria who are behind vile scams.

Is it not about time that the Governments of the civilized World target that pitiful country and stop their shenanigans for good. >:( >:( >:(

Stop giving them international aid until it is.  The UK gave £327 million in aid last year in 2017; what a bloody insult to us British taxpayers >:(
« Last Edit: 17 May 2020, 15:52:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2020, 17:00:05 »

They are.

Is it not about time that the Governments of the civilized World target that pitiful country and stop their shenanigans for good. >:( >:( >:(

Stop giving them international aid until it is.  The UK gave £327 million in aid last year in 2017; what a bloody insult to us British taxpayers >:(

Got to agree Lizzie it is an absolute disgrace as the saying goes
"Charity begins at home" & now is the perfect time to cease these absurd payments once & for all .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2020, 19:26:37 »

They are.

"Charity begins at home" & now is the perfect time to cease these absurd payments once & for all .
If you say things like that these days, you're classed as a racist bigot in certain quarters. >:(

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2020, 23:47:15 »

They are.

If you say things like that these days, you're classed as a racist bigot in certain quarters. >:(

Old school I'm afraid , say it like it is 😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.