Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: £500 and 2 Main dealer visits later still probs!  (Read 1381 times)

kernow193

• cornwall
    • View Profile
£500 and 2 Main dealer visits later still probs!
« on: 13 July 2008, 21:18:08 »

Hiya people..  Looking to you guys for help as i dont know where else to go... I have a 2.5 elite est auto 00v. Problem with t/c light on and auto g/box message on display panel and gearbox goes into limp mode <when in drive takes away in 2nd i think and doesnt feel good>problem starts off by rev counter stoping to work then t/c light comes on  <The problem happens once every 50 miles or so> then auto gearbox message comes up and limp mode steps in on box. Have discovered though if i hit fuse /relay box in engine bay the rev counter starts working ,turn ignition off and restart its then ok for a while.  Took car to main dealer they diagnoised abs ecu and fitted new,50 miles later same fault and they then said crank shaft sensor had oil over it and was prob and replaced it. Now had car back and done another 50 miles and same fault. now discovered about the hitting relay box thing.. Please help if you can ,love the car but after cam belt broke and now all this my faith is fading.. thank you.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: £500 and 2 Main dealer visits later still probs!
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2008, 21:23:50 »

the ABS ECU has been replaced but the TC and rev counter still stop working?

Are you sure the dealer replaced it?

I am no expert but maybe the ABS sensors on the diff  :-/ Need someone else to comment, what condition is the gearbox selector switch in?

kernow193

• cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2008, 21:40:02 »

Well the told me they replaced the abs ecu. but drove 50 miles after they did this tc light came back on and auto gearbox message on display.   Im no electrician but like i say in the original post the rev counter when it stopped working i hit the relay box in engine bay this started they rev counter working again. i then turned off and back on and hey presto drives like a new one. i wondered what relevance the rev counter has to the gearbox thinking the engine isnt running and then throwing it self into a limp mode. is all my problem a dicky connection or duff relay in the relay box and if so which one or what connector links rev counter?  thanks for help

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2008, 21:44:44 »

2 things to try - paperclip test (see maint guides) and battery voltage at idle and at 2.5k rpm
Grumpy old man

Alex W

• Intermediate Member
  • Northants
    • 2000W Facelift 2.5V6 Elit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2008, 21:54:34 »

At least go and demand your £500 back or insist they fix the problem with no further charge. You made a contract with experts (the main dealer) to repair the car. If they are not expert enough to fix the problem they shouldn't have taken your money. As they HAVE taken your money the contract is complete (they have agreed to repair the fault in consideration of £500 you have already paid) and they have an obligation to you to complete the work they have already been paid for.

They set themsleves up as "experts" so if they want to blunder about doing unnecessary/the wrong work that's their look out. Once they've taken the money you have rights.

Don't let them get away with it. Contact trading standards if they won't play ball. BUT make sure you pay nothing more.

I recently got a full refund from a main dealer who took money from me for work I soon discovered they hadn't done.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2008, 21:56:51 »

I'm guessing this must be Ward's in Truro? As has been said, they haven't fixed the problem so you need to take it back to them to sort out.
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2008, 22:01:58 »

If it is a Vauxhall dealer and they don't sort the problem put there names on this site !!

regards
richard a
richard a

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2008, 04:07:43 »

1 st, you payed them to fix it,they have not fixed it, your entitled to your money back.( If they wont give it back, and you payed by bank card, the bank will get it for you, speak to them they will send you a from, it will take some time tho)

2  But talk to the garage first and tell them its not fixed, show them the relay banging thing, to prove your case, and ask for the old parts back, because they are yours, you want proof they actually did change the part, and because abs ecu can be repaired, which they did not tell you about.
 3 ask them what the diagnostic results where from tech 2, they should have plugged it in to diagnose, but i bet they bloody didnt, sounds like they where just throwing your money at it, and guessing to me. If they did not run diagnostic, you need to get that done in my opinion.
4 no idea whats actually wrong with it but does sound like its a in the relay box from what you said. For now tho, try the paper clip test and post the results.
5 there are always far more experienced people on here than any dealer i have ever been to so, you prob now now, ask on here first, before the thiefs rob you again,... Oh and keep on top of your service schedule it will pay off 10 times over esp. if you do it yourself and then your cam belt wont break!

Ps sorry if that lot sounds a bit shouty but dealers really get my back up. Good luck.  

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2008, 08:30:45 »

This sounds a bit wierd, and it actually sounds like there are two issues here......

The point that others has made is true, you have paid for a service/repair on the basis of the 'experts' diagnosis and this has not been carried out, you really do need to speak to them about this.

The fact that it drops into limp mode does seem strange, the Auto Gearbox message does pop up sometimes when the selector is starting to go a bit wonkey, i had this on my last omega, however i found that giving it an gerabox oil and filter change also cured a lot of a issues.

As TheBoy has said, to be 100% sure of the issues try a paperclip test to establish what the faults, that way you then have an idea of what work is required.....it does seem that you are doing the dealers work, but it gives you ammo when you need to shove a rocket up their jacksey  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2008, 08:32:34 »

Wonder why they replaced the ABS unit......its nothing to do with the RPM signal as that comes from the engine ECU!

I would, take the lid off the relay/ECU box in the engine bay and disconnect the ECU connector. Have a little look at the connectors contacts on the ECU and loom for damage/corrosion and clean as required.

Also have a look at the wiring loom for damage etc.

Sadly it looks like you have fallen foul to some poor dealer spanner twirling working with VERY bad diag techniques.

They should have checked the live data in the ABS unit and instrument panel plus the gearbox to see if a valid rpm signal was reaching them before changing out some thing on the receiving end of a signal (morons!)
« Last Edit: 14 July 2008, 08:34:19 by Mark »

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2008, 14:10:02 »

Rev counter and gearbox limp sounds like a bad conection on the green RPM wire - I had the very same symptoms on a previous car from a not very good LPG conversion - the RPM wire went to earth

unclelicklug

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2008, 15:39:37 »

If you want your money back from the dealer (I think as has been said you have a claim) then I wouldn't recommend you do any work (yourself or others) to fix the car, if you do you will potentially muddy the waters for any claim you have.
Sorry, I know practically speaking you need a working car, on what you have said I would be approaching the dealer and saying you want it putting right and that you need a courtesy car until such time as the car is right.
And make it very clear in writing what you expect and that no further charge is expected or accepted.
Sorry, that all sounds a bit legal and nasty - but they have taken £500 plus associated inconvenience and at the end of it you're no better off - that's wrong!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.