Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NSR and OSF brakes sticking  (Read 1655 times)

checkers87

• cardiff
    • omega
    • View Profile
NSR and OSF brakes sticking
« on: 20 July 2019, 11:48:11 »

Hi guys having abit of an issue with my TD estate . Nsr and Osr callipers stick. Even now when cars is cold . I’ve to replacement callipers to go on but want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. What to check or replace first . Brake master cylinder or Abs pump ?  Does anyone or has anyone had this problem  before ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: NSR and OSF brakes sticking
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2019, 11:54:43 »

You've got new calipers, so fit them ensuring that the new pads move correctly.
Inspect the old ones, as it's possible you have two independently knackered calipers. Check the brake hoses too, they're old and might be working as one way valves.
If this doesn't fix the problem, I would be looking at the brake master cylinder next as it's easier and cheaper to diagnose/fix than the ABS valve block. More likely to be the problem too.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 12:05:54 »

As Nick says ,plus .....
inspecting and adjusting the handbrake shoes,cables,etc

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2019, 12:49:58 »

I recently had this issue with an old Triumph I recommissioned - the calipers appeared free on first inspection, but both front calipers were sticking on after the brakes were applied. I removed the calipers and found the pistons were moving freely. The fault was in the flexible brake hose for each caliper - they had collapsed internally. The force of the brake pedal application was sufficient to allow brake fluid through, but not when the pedal was released, hence them staying on.
When I removed the old hoses, I wasnt even able to satisfactorily blow air through them with an airline- they had closed up that much internally.
Check the hoses - they are cheap and easy enough to replace if in doubt.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2019, 13:10:04 »

I wrote inspect the old calipers, and that requires some clarification:

Check the exterior and where the pads fit for built-up crap that stop them moving. Ensure that the pins are straight, installed correctly and that the ant-rattle clips are good - if they're not and you have vented discs, leave them off. Solid disc clips are available and cheap, so replace them.
Next, check for fluid leaks from the pistons. If they're leaking, then you've found your problem and your next step is clear: throw them away! Do NOT keep knackered parts just in case.
If they're not leaking, pop the pistons out(now you know what the conical adaptor that comes with hand and foot pumps is for) and check them, the bores and seals. Damage/wear will be obvious.

This will take about five minutes and will inform you if you've fixed the problem or if you need to move further up the system. It's what you would do if you didn't already have new calipers, as randomly buying and fitting parts is a shitty way to fix problems.

checkers87

• cardiff
    • omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2019, 15:35:10 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been told by a couple of mechanics that it may be abs pump related or master cylinder as it’s runnig one side to the other . OSF to NSR.its doing my head in .

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2019, 15:44:22 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been told by a couple of mechanics that it may be abs pump related or master cylinder as it’s runnig one side to the other . OSF to NSR.its doing my head in .

Ahhh....

I went by the text in your post which says both rear calipers not the title.
Sticky calipers on diagonal corners is much more likely to be a master cylinder fault.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.