Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly old duffer  (Read 12985 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Silly old duffer
« Reply #15 on: 18 January 2019, 08:41:30 »

Know that stretch of road very well & is a very dodgy junction at the best of times.

and this just confirms what you've said
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46912556

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 January 2019, 08:54:45 »

Quote from: BBC Article
The force said it was standard policy to breath test drivers involved in collisions and both had provided negative readings.

^^That is the single most surprising thing about this whole incident!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 January 2019, 08:57:02 »

Quote from: BBC Article
The force said it was standard policy to breath test drivers involved in collisions and both had provided negative readings.

^^That is the single most surprising thing about this whole incident!
Having webbed feet is no guarantee of intoxication ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 January 2019, 09:59:01 »

I was thinking more of Phil the Greek, he seems pi$$ed most of the time!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 January 2019, 10:29:13 »

I was thinking more of Phil the Greek, he seems pi$$ed most of the time!

I imagine his German wife is most concerned. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2019, 10:40:54 »

I wonder if the coppers really tested him for booze........despite what they say is standard procedure.

Just a thought.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2019, 12:25:45 »

As above we don't have the facts, but a bloke in Phil's position has no need to drive on the public roads ..... he's miles of his own private land he could drive on & use (probably) one of many possible chauffeurs if he wanted to go anywhere proper.

But he loves driving, and so why shouldn't he if he wants to.  He's 97; so what?  As long as you are medically fit to drive then so be it.  We will all grow old, and driving yourself around gives you freedom.  As Entwood correctly points out, nothing has been proved yet about this collision; the police never use the term "accident" before proving, after investigation, exactly what happened and why.  This collision will certainly be investigated like no other, so we shall see.

It is interesting to note that this morning local residents are stating this road is an accident black spot and Norfolk counsel have decided to drop the speed limit from 60 to 50 and install speed cameras. ;)
« Last Edit: 18 January 2019, 12:28:29 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2019, 12:26:39 »

I wonder if the coppers really tested him for booze........despite what they say is standard procedure.

Just a thought.  :)

Yes they have as, you correctly state, it is standard procedure no matter who you are ;)

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2019, 12:40:51 »

Everyone should be made to take some sort of competency test at 65 and every five years after, at their own expense. I'm not talking a full driving test, that would be unfair. But something to prove that you were not a danger to yourself and other road users.

Driving home this morning, on a 50mph A road, there was a Nissan Juke footling along at 30 with a queue of frustrated drivers behind, including me. It was only a matter of time before someone tried an unsafe overtake and, eventually, a car three back in the queue did. No harm done...this time.

When I got past, I noticed the driver was an elderly woman......and her knuckles were very white.  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2019, 13:05:27 »

Everyone should be made to take some sort of competency test at 65 and every five years after, at their own expense. I'm not talking a full driving test, that would be unfair. But something to prove that you were not a danger to yourself and other road users.

Driving home this morning, on a 50mph A road, there was a Nissan Juke footling along at 30 with a queue of frustrated drivers behind, including me. It was only a matter of time before someone tried an unsafe overtake and, eventually, a car three back in the queue did. No harm done...this time.

When I got past, I noticed the driver was an elderly woman......and her knuckles were very white.  ;D

STEMO! :o :o :o

So anyone who is driving carefully, within the speed limit they want to do which in this case is 30mph on a non-motorway road should not be driving?!  Just because everyone, including me, wants to race along at the speed limit or more does not mean those that don't are not safe drivers, no matter what their age. Those that are not patient with this type of "slow but safe" driving and consider unsafe driving to counter-act it perhaps should look at themselves and consider if they should be on the road.

I am more worried about all those youngsters who race around, oblivious to the highway code and laws generally, and put others at major risk of injury or death.  They are the ones the police must clamp down on.

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2019, 13:32:58 »

STEMO! :o :o :o

So anyone who is driving carefully, within the speed limit they want to do which in this case is 30mph on a non-motorway road should not be driving?!  Just because everyone, including me, wants to race along at the speed limit or more does not mean those that don't are not safe drivers, no matter what their age. Those that are not patient with this type of "slow but safe" driving and consider unsafe driving to counter-act it perhaps should look at themselves and consider if they should be on the road.

I am more worried about all those youngsters who race around, oblivious to the highway code and laws generally, and put others at major risk of injury or death.  They are the ones the police must clamp down on.
A 30 mph mobile roadblock on a 50 mph road is an accident waiting to happen. The are a lot of big trucks that use that road and, if you get a frustrated truck driver on a single lane carriageway, it makes the situation even more dangerous.
If you can't drive at a reasonable speed, you should hang you keys up......IMO.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2019, 13:34:25 »

Speed limits are set conservatively enough these days that anyone who doesn't end up feeling comfortable at within 10 MPH of the limit probaby needs to be on a bus, IMHO. If only for the potential to cause a lot more overtakes than is necessary.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2019, 13:38:28 »

No, Lizzie. No.

The police need to clamp down on EVERYONE who is driving in an unsafe manner, regardless of age.

The other day my girlfriend was driving up a residential (30 limit) road at about 15-20mph as it is riddled with "speed cushions" which (in her Smart) feel like you are driving over a cliff, only to have someone in a white van squeeze past, followed by a clit nearly take her mirror off squeezing up the middle of the road and swerving back over before they hit the line of parked cars.

Neither were driven by young drivers - both were middle aged (male and female respectively).

But it's OK, because they're installing more speed cameras ::)

[edit] Er.. I did not write that part of female anatomy; apparently the small French car "Cli-o" gets automatically "corrected"
« Last Edit: 18 January 2019, 13:41:36 by aaronjb »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2019, 13:39:29 »

Yep
Those minimum speed limit signs are there for a reason  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 January 2019, 13:43:17 »

You can fail your driving test for driving too slowly/cautiously/timidly.

https://www.learnerdriving.com/driving-test/marking/progress.htm

Failing the test means you haven't achieved the required standard. The idea that once you've passed your test (and therefore achieved the required standard) doesn't IMV give you the right to drive around at 30/40MPH in a NSL without good reason - you aren't maintaining that required standard.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.