Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Further employment conundrum.  (Read 2240 times)

05omegav6

Further employment conundrum.
« on: 12 March 2015, 13:27:09 »

Ok, applied for three very different jobs...

Job A is a customer facing driving role ten miles away various rostered shifts 39+ hrs a week with a possibility of overtime. Starting in June. Excellent long term prospects, including ultimately a final salary pension with voluntary contribution.

Job B is a customer facing role, twenty five miles away, permanent nights (no early mornings), 4on 4off 6-6, plus pretty reliable overtime. Could probably start on Monday. Has some long term potential, including training and promotion possibilities. No company pension below management.

Job C is purely a driving job, fortyfive miles away, permanent nights, same company as Job A, with same benefits/potential. Better money, but worse hours... 4/5 nights a week, probably 10-12 hour shifts.

Having received interview offers for all three, I have since withdrawn my application for Job C as the cost of commuting cancels out any financial benefit. This leaves Jobs A and B.
I passed the interview stage for Job A, and was offered an interview for Job B the same day as I received this news. Had my interview for Job B on Tuesday and was offered the job the same day.

The final assessment for Job A is a driving one in a couple of weeks.

Heart says 4 on 4 off nights suits me well, it's a familiar work place, but Head says Job A is easily the best long term option. Both will allow me to do limited Taxi work for extra short term income, and both allow me time to do a voluntary role that I have elsewhere...

So I ask you...

Do I accept Job B knowing that I will potentially be leaving it in June, or do I decline Job B and hold my breath for Job A, potentially leaving me jobless :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Further employment conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2015, 13:47:52 »

I am guessing that the job availability situation is quite good in the UK. That being the case could you hold out for jobA and in the meantime go to somewhere like Reed employment and take an eight week assignment? In my experience in a previous life in the UK, it was quite hard to get folk to fulfil a temp role for say 2 months (might be something like moving a logistics operation from site A to site B.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2015, 14:00:05 »

.... permanent nights (no early mornings), 4on 4off 6-6,  ...

You sure you want to do perm nights? They get harder the older you get (speaking from personal experience). 0600hrs finish might be OK for traffic going home, but how long - time wise - would it take you to cover 25 miles to get to work for 1800hrs

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2015, 14:21:08 »

.... permanent nights (no early mornings), 4on 4off 6-6,  ...

You sure you want to do perm nights? They get harder the older you get (speaking from personal experience). 0600hrs finish might be OK for traffic going home, but how long - time wise - would it take you to cover 25 miles to get to work for 1800hrs
40-45 mins, was a regular commute and also have option of train :y

My experience of agency work is not good... Relatively, the pay is crap with no benefits.

As for permanent nights, apart from two years working days at TNT, which pretty much killed me, I have always worked nights, and currently my core hours on the cabs are 20:00-04:00 Friday and Saturday. And from experience in an airport environment, summer nights are much better than summer days out on the ramp... 120+ degree heat on the ramp is normal in July/August. Not nice.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2015, 14:25:00 »

I take my hat off to anyone who can work nights. My nights are usually 10-7 and they kill me! I regularly do two long (11 hour) lates followed by 4 nights and then another late. It's the next best thing to jet lag!!

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2015, 14:29:35 »

I take my hat off to anyone who can work nights. My nights are usually 10-7 and they kill me! I regularly do two long (11 hour) lates followed by 4 nights and then another late. It's the next best thing to jet lag!!
Rolling earlies/lates/nights are horrific... Was bad enough doing 4 days on, 4 off, 4 nights on, 4 off...

Any ways, back to the original question :y

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2015, 14:30:18 »

There is no such thing as loyalty in business so I think I'd go work for Job B for the next two/three months and then move to Job A if you get offered that..

If you can't stomach that then I'd be tempted to hold out for Job A - a final salary pension is something very, very rare in this world and is worth it's weight in gold, IMHO.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2015, 14:34:46 »

Imo, Aaron's go it spot on Al  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2015, 14:36:22 »

At least by taking Job B, even short term, I know that I at least have a fall back position, and if I do Job B to the best of my abilities then I won't disgrace myself in the long run...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2015, 14:50:15 »

.... It's the next best thing to jet lag!!

It is.

I worked nights for 15 years solid ...  most 10 - 6 for 5  night & later did 6 - 6 over 3 nights. I wouldn't want to do it again though.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2015, 14:55:41 »

At least by taking Job B, even short term, I know that I at least have a fall back position, and if I do Job B to the best of my abilities then I won't disgrace myself in the long run...

I get the feeling your head has made a decision, a bird in the hand and all that.  :)  As Aaron said, you'll be earning something until hopefully Job A comes up.  :y

Hope it all pans out for you.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2015, 15:03:21 »

Absolutely - they get a quality employee, even if it is short term, and you get an income and a little extra security of knowing you're earning while you wait for something better.

Which, to be honest, is all most of us are doing.. if someone came along and offered me something better than I have here, I'd be off in a heartbeat ;) (Although I'd really like to hit my 10 year mark at this point and get the free holiday!)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2015, 15:07:08 »

Beware though as they can take away final salary pension at any point.....so don't bank on it to much!  :y

But I agree with Aaron

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2015, 15:09:38 »

Don't tell me, a fortnights all inclusive two centre holiday to Tel Aviv and Eilat, and oh by the way while you're there... ::)

Thank you for the input, decision sorted :y

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2015, 15:11:50 »

Beware though as they can take away final salary pension at any point.....so don't bank on it to much!  :y

But I agree with Aaron
Understood re pension...I only qualify for it after five years service. Had I started before end of March it would have been three years, but it's an extra glace cherry on top of a beautifully iced cake :y

aaronjb

« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2015, 15:13:13 »

Don't tell me, a fortnights all inclusive two centre holiday to Tel Aviv and Eilat, and oh by the way while you're there... ::)

;D ;D ;D My next work trip is likely to be to eastern Europe at this rate (as they insist on selling this stuff into Romania, Poland, Slovakia, Serbia .. you know, all those top holiday destinations! ;D) .. Tel Aviv would be pleasant in comparison (albeit a bit chuffing hot in summer)

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2015, 15:15:14 »

Lol... Slovakia and Serbia have some very nice bits :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2015, 15:17:00 »

As long as it's not bits that go bang in the night ;D

Actually I'm sure Romania & Poland do, too.. just not the bits our customers are based in, it seems, based on what the Poles & Romanians I know say!

Could be worse I suppose, it could be the customer in Nigeria.. although there is that prince who needs my help...

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 12 March 2015, 15:19:27 »

Hmmm a week on the beach at Port Harcourt anyone...? ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2015, 15:30:54 »

Ok, applied for three very different jobs...

Job A is a customer facing driving role ten miles away various rostered shifts 39+ hrs a week with a possibility of overtime. Starting in June. Excellent long term prospects, including ultimately a final salary pension with voluntary contribution.

Job B is a customer facing role, twenty five miles away, permanent nights (no early mornings), 4on 4off 6-6, plus pretty reliable overtime. Could probably start on Monday. Has some long term potential, including training and promotion possibilities. No company pension below management.

Job C is purely a driving job, fortyfive miles away, permanent nights, same company as Job A, with same benefits/potential. Better money, but worse hours... 4/5 nights a week, probably 10-12 hour shifts.

Having received interview offers for all three, I have since withdrawn my application for Job C as the cost of commuting cancels out any financial benefit. This leaves Jobs A and B.
I passed the interview stage for Job A, and was offered an interview for Job B the same day as I received this news. Had my interview for Job B on Tuesday and was offered the job the same day.

The final assessment for Job A is a driving one in a couple of weeks.

Heart says 4 on 4 off nights suits me well, it's a familiar work place, but Head says Job A is easily the best long term option. Both will allow me to do limited Taxi work for extra short term income, and both allow me time to do a voluntary role that I have elsewhere...

So I ask you...

Do I accept Job B knowing that I will potentially be leaving it in June, or do I decline Job B and hold my breath for Job A, potentially leaving me jobless :-\

Both companies will have to offer a pension for ALL employees sooner or later. There are various staging dates between now and 2018 - larger companies first, smaller companies last.

http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/employers/what-is-my-staging-date.aspx

Job A may not let you join the Final Salary scheme for 5 years, but they MUST supply something for everybody once they reach their staging date.

A final salary pension is the gold standard, and often worth about 25-30% extra in pay.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2015, 15:41:09 »

Job A offers an immediate contributary pension scheme... The non contributary final salary scheme is a longer term bonus :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 March 2015, 16:12:05 »

Job A offers an immediate contributary pension scheme... The non contributary final salary scheme is a longer term bonus :y

I'd be taking Job B now, and if you subsequently get an offer for Job A starting in June, then take that, and resign job B. Just be careful of any resignation/notice periods in Job B's contract (though you could always punch a producer to get sacked  ;D)

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2015, 16:36:07 »

Topical... ;D Both have a 12 week/3month probation period, so will have to read the contract closely, but guess that a weeks notice will be all that's required :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2015, 19:59:53 »

The answer to this is very simple,but in usually oof style,it takes forever,to make a decision.
The answer is?

What do you want to do Al !
There done.
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2015, 20:06:57 »

;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2015, 21:32:16 »

He's right though. It's head and heart stuff!  ;)

Which job will you go to with a smile on your face, knowing that you have an enjoyable few hours ahead?  ???

Follow what feels right deep down in your heart and if that one is the one with the big salary and pension, then happy days!  :y  but ultimately being rich and miserable ain't no good!  :(  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2015, 21:38:54 »

Good luck with whatever you decide. Can't be easy.  :y

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 12 March 2015, 22:21:31 »

Being poor and miserable is more depressing though...

Have accepted Job B to be getting on with, Job A can then dealt with in due course... :y

ted_one

« Reply #28 on: 12 March 2015, 22:33:26 »

Pity you don't live closer...job coming up next month here,driver has chosen not to renew,and as you know the job's a doddle, but restricted hours...so not viable financially,your place to Bracknell on Sea... not good ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2015, 22:48:06 »

Not helped that my D licence is only a provisional one, so there's that too...

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 March 2015, 00:50:46 »

Not helped that my D licence is only a provisional one, so there's that too...

Have I got this right, you cannot drive a MiniBus?  :-\ :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 13 March 2015, 01:02:00 »

D1 16 passenger seats not for hire and reward...

D upto 8 passengers, not for hire and reward, covered by C :y

D1 and D for hire and reward only if accompanied by a D licence holder and L plates :y
« Last Edit: 13 March 2015, 01:06:16 by Taxi Al »

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 March 2015, 01:05:31 »

D1 16 passenger seats not for hire and reward...

D upto 8 passengers, not for hire and reward, covered by C :y

D1 and D for hire and reward only if accompanied by a D licence holder :y

It all seems to be so terribly complicated now, gone are the days when it was all so 'black and white'......... :( :(

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 13 March 2015, 01:06:59 »

Edited my last for clarity :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.